Tobacco Illegal on Football Field

Sarah Beth

Following rules are important.

The rule has been quoted.

Coaches follow the rule and parents don't have to worry about counteracting your influence.

And coaches job is to follow the rules.

"Coaches follow the rule and parents don't have to worry about counteracting your influence."

"...parents dont have to worry..." You once again put the blame and the pressure on the coach to make sure your child knows right from wrong. Your letting a total stranger,and I say stranger because how many parents actually know there kids coach, possibly dictate what your child does in his or her life. Regardless of what the coach or teacher does, it is the parents responsibility to make sure thier child does the right thing.

If my kids start dipping today I can not go to the coach and blame him for it. He is there to coach football not raise my child!! :lol:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratualtions Tennessee!!!!! One of the few states in the union that is red neck enough to discuss the merits of chewing tobacco in a high school football forum!!! Here's some other topics of interest which might fit in well with this subject. Should we fly the confederate flag at football game? What relatives of the coaching staff get in free to games. Just spouses? Should cousins get in free also? What if they are the same person? Should confederate money be allowed to be used at the concession stand? Should words such as Y'all and "Fixin to" be allowed to be spoken? Should we really even have scoreboards since the majority of the population can't read anyway? Lots of things to ponder...........

You don't sound very proud to be in Tennessee. If Big Orange Country is too redneck for you, go to India where the old, the young, the male, and the female alike use smokeless tobacco, because I'm certain no other state in the U.S. uses tobacco, yup, just us inbreed Tennessee hillbillies. It is an issue just like many other topics on here, no one has to read or post to any topic they are not interested in. I myself hate tobacco, I wish it was never discovered, but as far as what kind of coach it makes someone, it makes no nevermind. (dijjaa like at un.... hater.) I'm fairly positive tobacco use among h.s. football coaches is not exclusive to Tennessee.

"Coaches follow the rule and parents don't have to worry about counteracting your influence."

"...parents dont have to worry..." You once again put the blame and the pressure on the coach to make sure your child knows right from wrong. Your letting a total stranger,and I say stranger because how many parents actually know there kids coach, possibly dictate what your child does in his or her life. Regardless of what the coach or teacher does, it is the parents responsibility to make sure thier child does the right thing.

If my kids start dipping today I can not go to the coach and blame him for it. He is there to coach football not raise my child!! :lol:

So bronc, I understand that you don't like the rule, and don't agree with it. Which other TSSAA rules do you believe coaches should be allowed to break?

Edited by itzme

So bronc, I understand that you don't like the rule, and don't agree with it. Which other TSSAA rules do you believe coaches should be allowed to break?

Actually I don't agree with the rule. As far as other rules, let me open a new topic... this one is about dipping.

As a smoker and part time dipper, I feel its my right to do those things as I wish with out society telling me its right or wrong. There are plenty of "Rights" that God fearing,Tax Paying citizens like you and me lose everyday....I will stop there as that will lead totally off the subject.

As far as abiding by the rules. Yes coaches and players should follow rules, but this is one minor issue in,im sure, a pool of many large ones that need to be addressed first. Holding a coach accountable for dipping in front of or around a player just because he might "influence" that player is just plain silly. We are also talking about 14-18yr old young men and women. Who are looking to be on there own in 4yrs or less. Making there own decisions. Is mommy gonna call the head coach of UT or UK and tell them how wrong it is to dip in front of there baby boy? Not likley. High School is the next step to real life. They are young men and women now, able to make most of there own decisions. They should have been taught right and wrong before now.

not completly correct...

state law prohibits smoking inside school buildings..... any time there is juveniles present..... i don't think it addresses smokeless tobacco....

persons under the age of 18 cannot possess or use any type of tobacco products....

and, if the school wants to, they have the right to make the campus a "smoke free zone" 24x7, and if you light up, then they can ask you to leave, and if you refuse, you can be charged with criminal trespass....

i am not aware of any state law that prohibits smoking or the use of smokeless tobacco on the campus...it may be a local board policy, but the only state law i am aware of is the one prohibiting smoking "inside" a building that is used by students...

i know you can't smoke in the buildings but when i was in high school me and all of my friends dipped at basketball games and we did it in a way that we wouldn't get caught because if we did and the coaches found out about it we had some punishment... i personally started dipping because an upperclassmen gave me half a can of copenhagen i took a dip and i liked it so i kept on doin it.

WOW, First of all as far as breaking rules when was the last time you were late and drove over the speed limit, when was the last time that you got in car and didn't buckle up? If a parent watches NYPD blue whats the chances that a kid will kill someone just like on TV I mean a parent will be the first to say you shouldn't dip in front of my child but will let them watch all kinds of trash on TV. If they watch some of these gays on TV will they become gay? If a teacher works hard in the classroom will the kid start working harder just because they see the teacher doing it? How about if they see the janitor cleaning a toilet will they become toilet cleaners?

WOW, First of all as far as breaking rules when was the last time you were late and drove over the speed limit, when was the last time that you got in car and didn't buckle up? If a parent watches NYPD blue whats the chances that a kid will kill someone just like on TV I mean a parent will be the first to say you shouldn't dip in front of my child but will let them watch all kinds of trash on TV. If they watch some of these gays on TV will they become gay? If a teacher works hard in the classroom will the kid start working harder just because they see the teacher doing it? How about if they see the janitor cleaning a toilet will they become toilet cleaners?

I speed frequently. I always use my seatbelt. I don't use tobacco, but have no problem with those who do. I agree that smokers are discriminated against in many cases.

That's not my point.

You still didn't answer my question, and neither has anyone else, except broncbuster. He thinks it's OK to break some TSSAA rules if you think they're silly and don't agree with them. What do you think? Is it OK to break TSSAA rules? All of them or just some? Who gets to pick which ones aren't really that important?

Edited by itzme

people are gonna do what they want regardless all you can do is try to regulate it... when i started dippin i was 14 and a freshman my coaches dipped but i didn't know it till after camp that year by then i'd already started nobody is really gonna start dippin because their coach does it but the upperclassmen will give it to them... and just for the record i bought the dip myself before i turned 18 and my mom didn't find out till i was 16 and she said you're gonna do it anyway so oh well

Edited by ptown_man