USJ Bus Crash

TheGreatLineJudge

This is the second time in a week I have heard news that really makes me take a step back and consider what is reaally important in life and it's NOT volleyball or whether they win or lose or not... it's the girls. Thank God nobody was killed in that crash! I'll keep those girls and their families in my prayers.

Last week Lafayette played a very tough team to advance to the district finals. Before that match my every thought was on our girls winning that game. I was literally consumed with worry. They did win that match in 3 games in a hard fought match and won the next one also to win districts and advance to regionals. However, the star player from that losing team was in a terrible car accident the next day. She was thrown from her car and suffered severe internal injuries and literally split her liver. She will live I'm told but may never play competitive sports again. I cant help but wonder if it would have happened at all had we not won that match. Obviously it's not our girls fault that it happened, but in hindsight I'd trade a loss now in a heartbeat if it would have prevented that tradegy.

Lafayette is in the final 4 in regionals tonight and will face yet another tough team. To be honest I'm still a little nervous and want them to win, but I'm not nearly consumed by it as I was last week. Both these accidents have given me a little more clarity as to what is really important in life.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havent commented on here in a while, but felt like i should give you guys some more info since i was on this trip. it was a Young Life trip to Sharp Top Cove in Jasper, Georgia. there were schools from Murfreesboro, (Riverdale, Siegel, Oakland, Blackman) Jackson, (USJ, JCM) and schools from Tuscaloosa. also there was a school there called South Side im unaware of where that school is located. on this trip all people who didnt have to stay to play a football game or cheerlead or dance on friday night left in the afternoon. the rest who had to stay left after their games. i am assuming the USJ girls and the other people on that bus had left in the afternoon. also these buses were coach buses, big commercial ones.

when my group arrived at the camp (it was all football players, cheerleaders, and dance team members from the murfreesboro schools who had left after their games) at about 3 AM we had to wait another hour to drive through the 2 miles of curving road along the montain side due to the crash becuase i guess they were still getting people out. i never heard or saw any ambulances but i heard someone say that people were getting life-flighted. we had to just sit tight in the bus for a hour then they gave us the okay to move in. like i said it was a one lane road (it was built a little wider than one lane but not wide enough to be 2) that curved around through the montain side with a big drop off on the right. it was about 2 miles long with a 10 mph speed limit. i actually saw the bus, it looked like it didnt make the sharp left turn and just went right off the road. it wasnt to far off the road so i guess something had to have stopped it i think the article posted earlier said a tree.

the camp went on and everyone had a good time, i think even some of the students on that bus got the okay to come back to camp and were there also because i saw a girl with a neckbrace on and a few people on cruches. it was a fun trip and i feel bad for those injured on the bus, it was just a honest mistake. that road would be hard for the best bus driver in the road to navigate. best of luck to the team and the other students :thumb:

feel free to ask questions i will be glad to answer any of them.

OMG, thank goodness they all survived that horrible crash! I will be sending my thoughts and prayers to the players that were hurt for their speedy recovery. I will also be wishing the best for the rest of the girls that will have to step up. I think they can do it! Good luck, USJ!

:thumb: The USJ girls came through strong from the bench. Lots of depth on the team. They had some big shoes to fill, but filled them very well. Won district title over Trinity Christian Academy, and went on to win the regional title over Jackson South Side. Way to go girls!! Can't wait to see you play in Murfreesboro.

Announcements