Teams With Winning Records Not Going To Playoffs

UppermanBees#9

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well although I know you have to take care of business in order to be in the playoffs, I think it's unfortunate for those teams w/ 6+ wins to not be playoff bound. But I just wanted to say that I currently do not like the playoff formats for football, as I think it is to easy to make them when 4 teams from each region make the playoffs.

In a region with 6 teams, the top 4 would obviously make it, so that would mean that it is very possible for a team to win just 2 games all year (they must be in the region) and go to the playoffs with a 2-8 record. that's pathetic. I think we should take out one week of the football playoffs, especially since so many guys need to get to basketball anyways, and just allow the top 2 teams from each region to go. All that would do is make one less round and one less week. The c'ships would be played the week before Thanksgiving so everyone could enjoy the holidays. This would also put more emphasis on the season to and cut out this crap where a team has a losing region record and still gets to go to the playoffs.

your thoughts?

That's the way it should be, too many teams with losing records get into the playoffs. Butttt the T$$AA like the bucks they can make off of everyone getting into the playoffs. I don't want to hear about how everyone deserves a chance in the playoffs if you don't have a winning record you should stay at home. I'm off my soapbox and out of here.

I wonder. How often does a #4 team beat a #1 team in the first round of the playoffs? :thumb:

Better yet. How often has a #4 team made it to the Championship game?

Two or three #1's go down each year. Anything can happen on a friday night. Both years I played HS ball we went into the playoffs as the number 4 seed and played each team very well and won our first round game my senior year. i like that more teams get the opportunity to play playoff football, why take it away from the kids.

Well although I know you have to take care of business in order to be in the playoffs, I think it's unfortunate for those teams w/ 6+ wins to not be playoff bound. But I just wanted to say that I currently do not like the playoff formats for football, as I think it is to easy to make them when 4 teams from each region make the playoffs.

In a region with 6 teams, the top 4 would obviously make it, so that would mean that it is very possible for a team to win just 2 games all year (they must be in the region) and go to the playoffs with a 2-8 record. that's pathetic. I think we should take out one week of the football playoffs, especially since so many guys need to get to basketball anyways, and just allow the top 2 teams from each region to go. All that would do is make one less round and one less week. The c'ships would be played the week before Thanksgiving so everyone could enjoy the holidays. This would also put more emphasis on the season to and cut out this crap where a team has a losing region record and still gets to go to the playoffs.

your thoughts?

Right on!

:thumb:

One needs to look beyond the season record...say you have six teams in a region and one of the teams schedules REALLY weak teams for the other five games. The team could end up 6-4 or maybe 7-3 and not be in the playoffs. You could have the other situation where a team schedules 5 really tough teams for the other games and ends up in the playoffs with a 2-8 record.

Edited by jabbo

Since were are speaking hypothetically here anyway, allow me to construct 2 hypothetical regions.

Region 11 is a tough AAA region, with a tough schedule. They have collectively played and beaten the best teams in region 11 AA & AAAA. The only losses that the top 4 have are against each other. All 4 are in the top 25 in all polls.

Region 12 is not nearly as good this season. The top 4 have combined for 12 losses outside of the region. Most of their wins have been against other weak Region 12 opponents. The #1 team is ranked 63rd or worse in all polls.

Question: Should the Region 11 #4 have to sit out the post-season, while the Region 12 top 2 go get their brains beat out in the first round?

Sure, some teams might not deserve to make the play-offs, but the extra game allows 4 more teams in. This also includes 2 more teams in that just might deserve to be there.

Edited by The Sports Guy

That's the way it should be, too many teams with losing records get into the playoffs. Butttt the T$$AA like the bucks they can make off of everyone getting into the playoffs. I don't want to hear about how everyone deserves a chance in the playoffs if you don't have a winning record you should stay at home. I'm off my soapbox and out of here.

its crazy , there should be two teams from each region that go to the playoffs

and bring the bowl games back for the rest .... but hey money money money equals TSSAA..... i mean i remember when only one team went from the district

talk about frustrating i played for Mt juliet we could never beat Gallatin HAHAHA