Db Vs Science Hill

ArtVandalay

Well I like to hear that Burton will be playing but the McCord thing is a surprise. I thought he was healing okay - especially since he was on the field some. I like the order too, first Ring then Burton. This Ring kid may turn out to be a dandy QB in the next 2 years. I really liked what I saw Friday. I would have loved to have seen a 2nd half in that game.

The DB QB play is going to be fine. Bo Burton will be back, he has 5 starts under his belt now. Bart Ring has looked good in the action he has seen..and he will see action against the Hill Toppers. From what I hear about McCord, he is in a lot of pain when throwing the ball. Never say never with Sam though, he is a tough young man.

The thing with this DB team will always start with the DEFENSE. DB has given up 61 total points on the season, and some of those have gone against the Offense, not the Defense.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea the turnout will be big, it was two years ago, stands were full. this scenerio seems a little framiler only flipped. SHHS has the O and DB has the D... two years ago SHHS had the D and DB had the O, and the O seemed to over power... hmmm... haha just somethin to get yalls minds twitchin. i remember standin on the sidelines when we played at J Fred in 2003, it was crazy how loud and intmidating it was.. that's what DB will always have one up on everyone if not everything else.

Don't expect that Science Hill will have more Offense than Dobyns-Bennett, not even close. And Science Hill's Defense was non existant 2 years ago in J.Fred Johnson Stadium. This may be as big a mis-match as these 2 teams in Basketball this year, just flip-flopped!!

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Edited by ArtVandalay

If you look back on this season Science Hill has played good in every other game with the exception of the Campbell Co. game. Last week they didn't play very well agains Karns, having to come from behind to win. So if they continue the trend that means they will play well this Fri. night. But then again it could be just a "fig-nution of my imagination. If DB's defense can get good pressure on the QB and also hold that good receiver in check then they should be ok.

DB - 17

SH - 7

So DBs athletic director turned down the delayed TV broadcast for this game. WOW.......from what I heard, he wanted $ for the rights to televise the game although DB doesn't get a dime from radio or the internet video. I think every other school sees it as an honor. What's the deal? I know for a fact that no one else has asked for a penny and are pleased to be selected to have their game put on TV for everyone to see. Just surprised and thought you guys may have some insight???

In regard to the rebroadcast, there is no room in the pressbox...there will be four radio stations broadcasting...the internet broadcast is live and the school is a part of that and thus wouldn't have to ask for compensation. I spent 16 years as a broadcaster and most of the schools in Northeast Tennessee, at one time or another, brought up rights fees for the radio stations...the rebroadcast of the TN High vs. D-B game was also done with four radio stations in the box and the cable guys were in the air in two lifts on the visitors side...there is a safety issue and thus a liability issue...the cable guys are about money, too...they dropped the coach's shows for TN High and D-B because they weren't making any money...it is not a public service...I wish they could do it, but I understand fully why they aren't...

If anyone was interested in watching this game and wasn't going to be able to be there, then they can see it live via the internet, streaming video shot from the D-B pressbox...

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

Art, Thanks for the "heads-up"-historical perspective. The behind the scenes machinations of school officals, petulance, and disregard for player and coaches was amazing. I probably would never have played for DB had it not been for the potential to face JC. I played in JC's every good elementary school league, grades 4-6. My school won the city championship, also beating an all-star team from the other seven schools. As a seventh grader I was exposed to the system in place, coaches, field house, stadium,and more importantly, prospective team mates. In elementary school I remember the high school's cheerleaders coming to my school to hand out free tickets and generate excite for only one game: Kingsport. The great Jasper-lead team of the early 60's was a jugarnaut, scoring at will.

When I returned to E.TN, I still had "friends" on the team, notably Bobby Yeiser (Vandy), and Tommy Thomas (Mid.TN St.) with whom I had grown up next door. Both were "go-to," Yeiser, All-E.TN tackle (my position) and Thomas, a very illusive running back; both played for E.TN in an all-star game versus SW VA along with Nick Showalter and John Walton from DB.

What is a little more tacit and probably more speculative from your excellent recount of the dealings to take DB out of the Big 7, was an incident in Erwin that involved rocks thrown at a DB bus with broken windows, fan taunting, etc. I think Erwin, the perennial weak team of the Big 7, played a major part in the final decision. Needless to say, I was crestfallen not to get a shot at Thomas, Yeiser and others. Coach Chuck Lane, our backfield coach, had played at JC. I think Chuck truly despised JC, and wanted a match-up as badly as I.

As seniors, my team "snuck up" on virtually the rest of the State, winning in one state poll and a phyrric victory when the other poll winner, Maryville, lost their bowl game, 0-28, to a team twice beaten. Science Hill went 4-4-2 that year and there was even talk one afternoon of a very rare DB bowl game versus them. Too bad,..would have been a blood bath.

Good stuff 64Champ... your recount is 1st hand, mine is not.. I just wanted to know why DB and Science Hill skipped 4 years of playing... so I made a trip to the Library, everything you ever want to know is in there, if you want to look for it.

Official word on Sam McCord is, Doctor's orders, no more QB for fear of permanant damage. That's straight from the best source of all, his mom.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

In regard to the rebroadcast, there is no room in the pressbox...there will be four radio stations broadcasting...the internet broadcast is live and the school is a part of that and thus wouldn't have to ask for compensation. I spent 16 years as a broadcaster and most of the schools in Northeast Tennessee, at one time or another, brought up rights fees for the radio stations...the rebroadcast of the TN High vs. D-B game was also done with four radio stations in the box and the cable guys were in the air in two lifts on the visitors side...there is a safety issue and thus a liability issue...the cable guys are about money, too...they dropped the coach's shows for TN High and D-B because they weren't making any money...it is not a public service...I wish they could do it, but I understand fully why they aren't...

If anyone was interested in watching this game and wasn't going to be able to be there, then they can see it live via the internet, streaming video shot from the D-B pressbox...

Roll Tribe Roll

I appreciate the explanation and understand it totally, BUT I would liked to have had the opportunity to see the game myself. Gotta be at another game. Good luck and tell 20 I want to see a 'highlight' play on the news.

Edited by GLee