The Collar Tackle

Mr. Polesit

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen some cases this year in hs football where being pulled down from behind by the collar has caused some leg injuries. This method is now being penalized in NFL(not sure about college). Should there be a penalty for it in hs?

I think so, maybe another Bo Jackson will never get a shot at the big time. Isn't that type of tackle the one that ruined Bo?

I agree the TSSAA doesn't need to ban this. The NFL didn't need to ban the collar. Heck what is next the NFL is going to ban tackling because it causes to many injuries. I don't know but is not football sopposed to be a rough sport. NFL needs to know that most players are not trying to hurt each other when they play against each other. Hopefully college and TSSAA don't ban the collar tackle. This rule is pointless because the only rule that will help stop injuries is if everbody plays two hand touch football, and then you will still have injuries.

I think so, maybe another Bo Jackson will never get a shot at the big time. Isn't that type of tackle the one that ruined Bo?

No I think what ended Bo Jackson's career was some player dived and grabbed Bo Jackson's leg and while he was running and he injuried is leg bad. He was only able to play baseball a couple of seaesons after that

I think the NFL IS smart enough to know that most players are not trying to intentionally hurt each other. Thats why they are running the NFL and we are posting on CoachT, who are we to say they are stupid. Yes we question some of their antics but you don't get to work for them by being stupid. And no I'm not for turning football in to two hand touch. I love a de-cleeter as much as anyone, but I am smart enough to know when a certain technique of tackling causes more injuries than others. I'm sure that lots of injury tracking and studying was done before they decided to ban this technique. And I've been on my fair share of college and hs sidelines to know that more times than not kids get hurt from horse collar tackling, usually blown knees, ankles, and fib fractures. Just my opinion, sure all the brutus' think differently....

I think the NFL IS smart enough to know that most players are not trying to intentionally hurt each other. Thats why they are running the NFL and we are posting on CoachT, who are we to say they are stupid. Yes we question some of their antics but you don't get to work for them by being stupid. And no I'm not for turning football in to two hand touch. I love a de-cleeter as much as anyone, but I am smart enough to know when a certain technique of tackling causes more injuries than others. I'm sure that lots of injury tracking and studying was done before they decided to ban this technique. And I've been on my fair share of college and hs sidelines to know that more times than not kids get hurt from horse collar tackling, usually blown knees, ankles, and fib fractures. Just my opinion, sure all the brutus' think differently....

the only reason the nfl banned it to protect T.O and other star W.R.

I dont really think it would change anything if you did ban it. What if a player were about to break a long run for a touchdown and the only option for the defense was to tackle him this way. What do you really think is going to happen? Of course their going to tackle him and take the penalty; in a lot of ways it would be like pass interference you dont want to do it but if your burnt for a touchdown its better than giving up the points.