Give Me Your Opinion

bucdaddio

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ankle braces can put you at risk for ACL injuries also. I'm a kinesiology major and we discuss a theory in which ankle braces and high top shoes can actually lead to more ACL injuries because the knee joint ends up taking the blow, rather than the ankle rolling and absorbing the shock. Some people must wear them to participate, but if not required I suppose you must weigh your risks and options. Just a theory, but it makes a lot of sense.

I disagree.

Even if an athlete is braced and wearing high tops, the ankle is still going to give somewhat. An injury can happen in many ways, but a resounding majority of ankle injuries occur via the inversion mechanism. Whereas a majority of knee injuries occur as a result of a cutting mechanism and/or an anterior/posterior translation of the femur on the tibia.

I don't see how an isolated ankle inversion mechanism could directly apply force to the ACL.....even if it is braced. I

If there are any studies out there, please let us know. I for one would love to read them.

I havent' read many of the other posts so this may already be posted, but unless you have weak ankles with a history of giving out then don't wear them. A doctor once told me that not only does it make your ankles weaker, but it gives your knees twice as much of a chance of getting injured. An ankle brace forces what would normally be a ankle roll into a torn knee. The force goes higher up the leg to the knee forcing knee injuries. But don't get me wrong, I'm a sportswriter, not a doctor lol

Pedo....I'd just like to know what type of "doctor" gave you that information? Doctor of what? Philosphy, Education, Dentistry, etc, etc

Too many times I hear of "doctors" making statements that aren't even related to their primary area of practice. And that causes me great concern....because there is TONS' of misinformation and misconceptions out there that do nothing more than confuse the general public. And way to often, as an Athletic Trainer, it can make my job extremely frustrating and difficult in providing care to the injured athletes under my supervision. I think I speak for many ATC's when I make that statment.

Think about it....if you or one of your family memers had cancer.....would you go see a doctor who specializes in sports medicine? If a gymnast injures her knee, would she be better off going to mom's gynecologist? If a football player injured his shoulder, would he be better off going to a veterinarian? (I actually had this happen)

I'm not trying to take away anything from any of these areas of medical practice or "doctors" in general, but sometimes I think we all need to look a little closer in regards to who is giving the information.

Pedo....I'd just like to know what type of "doctor" gave you that information? Doctor of what? Philosphy, Education, Dentistry, etc, etc

Too many times I hear of "doctors" making statements that aren't even related to their primary area of practice. And that causes me great concern....because there is TONS' of misinformation and misconceptions out there that do nothing more than confuse the general public. And way to often, as an Athletic Trainer, it can make my job extremely frustrating and difficult in providing care to the injured athletes under my supervision. I think I speak for many ATC's when I make that statment.

Think about it....if you or one of your family memers had cancer.....would you go see a doctor who specializes in sports medicine? If a gymnast injures her knee, would she be better off going to mom's gynecologist? If a football player injured his shoulder, would he be better off going to a veterinarian? (I actually had this happen)

I'm not trying to take away anything from any of these areas of medical practice or "doctors" in general, but sometimes I think we all need to look a little closer in regards to who is giving the information.

Bravo Sofine!!!! You nailed it! If I had a buck for everytime this happened I could retire. I just love when you know an athlete has an orthopaedic injury but instead of trusting your opinion the typical response is "we'll just take them to see their pediatrician"!!!!!!

Ankle braces can put you at risk for ACL injuries also. I'm a kinesiology major and we discuss a theory in which ankle braces and high top shoes can actually lead to more ACL injuries because the knee joint ends up taking the blow, rather than the ankle rolling and absorbing the shock. Some people must wear them to participate, but if not required I suppose you must weigh your risks and options. Just a theory, but it makes a lot of sense.

I just read an article talking about this, but not going into enough detail to satisfy me. Some of the reasons they stated: wearing braces may make an athlete play more aggressively, which could lead to injury. (IMO, if an athlete DOESN'T play aggressively, I don't know of many coaches who will keep them in the game much longer.)

And/or that a person may not be fully healed from a previous existing injury, which could lead to a new injury or reinjury. Well, DUH?!?!

There was also speculation about some other reasons, but they said they hope to investigate further. Overall, pretty lame conclussions to that study.

I still stand by my previous posts.....just not enough valid information to convince me otherwise.

Edited by sofine

Polesit....we can't forget about the good old standby...."THE EMERGENCY ROOM!!!"

Oh Yes! The mighty ER.... For everyone else out there, Don't get me wrong!! During life threatning emergencies its great-(ie, head trama, heart problems). As I'm sure you have, I've seen parents bound and determined to go to the ER to find an answer(for most orthopaedic injuries that is). All they really find is a 3-4 hr wait, xray, cast or brace, told they need to see an othopaedic dr, and get a bill for $300-$400. Unless they don't have---------------, well I won't go there! When I'm sure you(sofine) had evaluated the injury, recommended refferal to ortho and offered to call and set up app. yourself, splinted the injured limb, and instructed proper home therapy(ie, ice,elevation, anti-inflammatory, exer.) all for the one time low fee of $0. Whats the difference? Trainers usually have nailed what the injury is while the ER doc has no idea how to perform the specified ligament test to diagnose the injury... Oh, and the $300 dollars, I'll take $5 to get something to eat on the way home and we'll call it even. We try to save parents precious time and money.. Most times the Athletic Trainers credentials just aren't respected...

Edited by Mr. Polesit

Oh Yes! The mighty ER.... For everyone else out there, Don't get me wrong!! During life threatning emergencies its great-(ie, head trama, heart problems). As I'm sure you have, I've seen parents bound and determined to go to the ER to find an answer(for most orthopaedic injuries that is). All they really find is a 3-4 hr wait, xray, cast or brace, told they need to see an othopaedic dr, and get a bill for $300-$400. Unless they don't have---------------, well I won't go there! When I'm sure you(sofine) had evaluated the injury, recommended refferal to ortho and offered to call and set up app. yourself, splinted the injured limb, and instructed proper home therapy(ie, ice,elevation, anti-inflammatory, exer.) all for the one time low fee of $0. Whats the difference? Trainers usually have nailed what the injury is while the ER doc has no idea how to perform the specified ligament test to diagnose the injury... Oh, and the $300 dollars, I'll take $5 to get something to eat on the way home and we'll call it even. We try to save parents precious time and money.. Most times the Athletic Trainers credentials just aren't respected...

good post

IMO,

Taping is for ankles and braces are for straighting teeth.

No need for for tape or braces, until an ankle is injuried. Correctly taped ankle is great, some braces work fine too but no need to wear them unless the player is routinely rolling their ankle. Modern high tops are worthless in preventing ankle injuries.

If you really want to cut down on feet injuries, have the players wear two pair of well fitting socks, one thin and one thick. Also most people tend to wear shoes that are too tight. All shoes to not fit all feet correctly. Check out runners' shoe magazines they classify shoes by support and pronation.

I am surprised there is no discussion on jump-stops causing knee and ankle injuries. Or a high Q-factor (angle between hip and knee) causing problems.

I have often wonder if super grippy soles can cause additional ankle stress.