TN Wrestlers are Lucky

PUMMELKING

Tennessee wrestlers and Coaches donot realize how lucky they are. You are allowed th compete in more than one match per week.

In GA. a wrestler cannot compete in a match but only once per week with a school day proceeding. For instance is we wrestle on Mon, Tue, Wed, we can not wrestle again until Friday. It does not allow for Tuesday and Thursday matches then tournaments on weekends.

Lucky? Heres the problem with that statement. You may be right, but I believe that there are many coaches who wrestle their kids too much. This is an opinion, but these kids with 50+ matches in a year may be more experienced than the kid with 35 in a year but peaking in Feb after wrestling that much is a lot more difficult. Maybe you guys are the ones that are lucky.

Lucky? Heres the problem with that statement. You may be right, but I believe that there are many coaches who wrestle their kids too much. This is an opinion, but these kids with 50+ matches in a year may be more experienced than the kid with 35 in a year but peaking in Feb after wrestling that much is a lot more difficult. Maybe you guys are the ones that are lucky.

That statement is probably true in those areas of TN that have really high quality competition to wrestle within their own region.

If a kid in the Chattanooga/Cleveland/North GA area gets 35 matches, he's probably wrestled 20 matches against quality opponents if his coach scheduled well.

I think that in upper east TN (Regions 1 & 2) and way out west near Memphis, a kid that only has 30 matches may have only gotten a chance for 10-12 really quality opponents and that often shows up when he gets to State and hits the kid with more experience against higher caliber kids.

If you hold the match total down to 30-35, just be sure you give your kids a chance to wrestle enough quality opponents to improve and not get caught surprised at State.

Definitely consider yourselves lucky, guys.

This is my first year as a Head Coach in Virginia, and we're only allowed 12 Dates (you all get 20).

but we don't have it as bad as Maryland, who can only go to three tournaments a year. MD's Definition of a Tournament? any date that involves MORE THAN 3 Teams!!!!! That Means No quads or small dual tourneys, as they count towards your three for the year.

PUMMELKING......Just to add to the discussion from the Georgia perspective, our kids average about 50 - 55 matches a year at Collins Hill. I think some schools even get more matches for their kids. I'm pretty sure that two years ago Henry County High School had kid that had 77 wins in a season.

Through 1972 Tennessee was limited to 14 matches and two tournaments. In counting those 14 matches, a tri was 2, a quad was 3. During the summer of '71, one of the coaches learned of a plan that the Illinois coaches were asking for which used a date formula rather than a match formula. The Tennessee coaches bought into the idea at the '72 meeting and voted to recommend that the TSSAA change to 18 dates. The coaches arrived at 18 dates from the 14 matchs and the 2 (2 day) tournaments in use at the time. The Board ultimately approved, but for consistency, since basketball was limited to 20 games during the season, the Board gave wrestling 20 dates, rather than the 18 recommended.

By the way, the Illinois governing body initially turned down the date recommendation by the Illinois coaches association. So Tennessee wrestling was enjoying the benefits of the "Illinois Plan" while Illinois wrestling had to wait for a while.

Another example of the TSSAA's progressive attitude toward wrestling...

Pummel - We will sure miss seeing you in stripes or in the corner this season! Be good down in GA and make us proud. If something comes open in my area, I'll let you know!

Thanks, But I will still be in stripes in TN when I can. Also there will be times when I will be back in TN and sitting in the corner of GC.

PUMMELKING......Just to add to the discussion from the Georgia perspective, our kids average about 50 - 55 matches a year at Collins Hill. I think some schools even get more matches for their kids. I'm pretty sure that two years ago Henry County High School had kid that had 77 wins in a season.

Yeah I understand sum kids can get alot of match time. Just wish that GA could have more duals durign the week. I think the way the rules go dont make much since. Heck if they are doing it for school purposes, then a wrestler could wrestle 5 matches in one day--we would not get thru with a quad til like 11 and then the travel time.

I like more emphasis on the duals head to head vs tris and quads but I also know sum teams do not field complete linups as well.