New Playoff Format

KING'S NEMESIS

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is talking Alcoa and Trousdale running up the scores. Now I know that Trousdale did it in regular season, but if they went back to the top 2 in each region making playoffs that would be better matchups. Anyone agree?

The only problem I have is that all regions are not created equal so this plan would not necessarily guarentee no blowouts. Also there have been a number of cases where a lower seed advances over a higher seed.

Everyone is talking Alcoa and Trousdale running up the scores. Now I know that Trousdale did it in regular season, but if they went back to the top 2 in each region making playoffs that would be better matchups. Anyone agree?

And we could start the season a week later (not mid-august) or have the championship game over Thanksgiving weekend!

I am still trying to figure out why everyone thinks the runaway scores in the first round are such a big deal.

The current format is just fine. Other states do the exact same format (Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, etc.). The fact that eight #4 seeds beat #1 seeds is proof enough that it should stay the way it is. And, several #3 seeded teams won as well.

Most teams would rather make it to the playoffs and get blown out in the first round than to not have made it. It helps to build something within that program on some occasions just making to the playoffs. You guys are making much ado about nothing!

I am still trying to figure out why everyone thinks the runaway scores in the first round are such a big deal.

The current format is just fine. Other states do the exact same format (Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, etc.). The fact that eight #4 seeds beat #1 seeds is proof enough that it should stay the way it is. And, several #3 seeded teams won as well.

Most teams would rather make it to the playoffs and get blown out in the first round than to not have made it. It helps to build something within that program on some occasions just making to the playoffs. You guys are making much ado about nothing!

very good point

I'll agree with that you never know when a #4 can beat a #1 . when i played 10 or 11 years ago it was 2 team format we finished in a three way tie for second in our region and got bumped out would have loved to have had four teams then . AHHH Glory days. :huh:

I'll agree with that you never know when a #4 can beat a #1 . when i played 10 or 11 years ago it was 2 team format we finished in a three way tie for second in our region and got bumped out would have loved to have had four teams then . AHHH Glory days. :huh:

I'll agree with that you never know when a #4 can beat a #1 . when i played 10 or 11 years ago it was 2 team format we finished in a three way tie for second in our region and got bumped out would have loved to have had four teams then . AHHH Glory days.

I like the way Georgia dose its' play-off where one team from each region is in a different bracket. Which means new teams to play all most every year. Upsets everywhere. Here look at the 3-A bracket for Georgia.

http://gasports.com/?template=7&year=2005&sport=1&class=3

The number one and number two team in the state was knock off in the first round! That is why I like Georgia's

My vote is FOR 4 teams from each region!

I hate it when football season is over!

I think we should build regional domes across the state, and play right trough the school year! Everybody rotates play, open, play, open. It would be like Florida Baseball, we could play all year.

If that's too much football for the week hearted fans, you could peel off to watch basketball, volleyball, tennis, golf, soccer, or whatever, then come back home to football when your nerves have settled.

;):huh::huh:

I like taking 4 teams from each Region. However, I do wish the state would go back and mix the brackets up like they did in the mid to late 90s. I dislike having region re-matches as early as Round 2 (ex: Alcoa vs. CAK, OS vs. Loudon, AE vs. LA, Fulton vs. Catholic, Powell vs. Maryville, & Ooltewah vs. Farragut).

I remember when the format changed and I understood it was in response to the travel costs and travel time complaints from coaches and school administrators.