Division II

hoopfan1

I have not seen any thing concerning Division II, so I would like to get your thoughts.

Here are my thoughts on the DII Middle Region.

The Middle Region will once again come down to Pope John Paul II, Harpeth Hall, and Brentwood Academy.

JPII has all but 1 starter returning, so they should contend.

Harpeth Hall lost 2 key players to graduation, and Taylor Parrish is not playing this year. They are the defending State Champions.

Brentwood Academy returns 4 (I think) starters and was runner-up to Harpeth Hall last year.

Father Ryan finished 4th in the regional tournament in 2005 and graduated several key players. They have one returning starter that I know of.

It should be a fun year with the addition of Davidson Academy and Ensworth.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen any thing concerning Division II, so I would like to get your thoughts.

Here are my thoughts on the DII Middle Region.

The Middle Region will once again come down to Pope John Paul II, <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=215&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Harpeth Hall</a>, and <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a>.

JPII has all but 1 starter returning, so they should contend.

<a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=215&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Harpeth Hall</a> lost 2 key players to graduation, and Taylor Parrish is not playing this year. They are the defending State Champions.

<a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> returns 4 (I think) starters and was runner-up to <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=215&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Harpeth Hall</a> last year.

Father Ryan finished 4th in the regional tournament in 2005 and graduated several key players. They have one returning starter that I know of.

It should be a fun year with the addition of Davidson Academy and Ensworth.

Watch out for Webb in the East. Glory Johnson is ready to DOMINATE!

If parrish is indeed not playing, I give the nod to BA. The Eagles return every player on the team except Merritt Goodman. She is a loss, foe sure, but a lot of experience coming back.

...and ScottA11, I agree about Glory Johnson. Saw her play as a freshman, and commented to someone that she won't have to travel far to get her DI scholarship!

If parrish is indeed not playing, I give the nod to BA. The Eagles return every player on the team except Merritt Goodman. She is a loss, foe sure, but a lot of experience coming back.

...and ScottA11, I agree about Glory Johnson. Saw her play as a freshman, and commented to someone that she won't have to travel far to get her DI scholarship!

itzme,

agreed, BA should be favored to take the middle region, if not the state championship.

As far as the east region, I know that both Knox. Webb and GPS were the best teams last year and I would expect both to be tops again this year.

The west region you would have to assume Briarcrest would be in the mix based on their tradition. I know that they are under new direction this year, but always seem to have very ahtletic players. ECS, St. Agnes, and Hutchinson are also fine programs.

GPS returns all their players from last year's team that made it to the semi-finals (losing to the eventual champion; Harpeth Hall)

Will DII east in basketball be like volleyball? Simply GPS, Webb, and Baylor as the only members?

How will the tournament work? The volleyball tournament had an odd double elimination format.

GPS returns all their players from last year's team that made it to the semi-finals (losing to the eventual champion; <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=215&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Harpeth Hall</a>)

Will DII east in basketball be like volleyball? Simply GPS, Webb, and Baylor as the only members?

How will the tournament work? The volleyball tournament had an odd double elimination format.

Each region will have a regional tournament.

The east region will send the top 2 teams, the middle and west will each send 3 teams for a total of 8. The middle and west send 3 teams due to the fact that there are more division II schools in those regions.

• 1 month later...

I may be off on this statement but DII seems to be down this year, in the past there were always teams that could compete with the best public schools in the state.This year they don't seem to be as tough from top to bottom as before or maybe there has been a shift of power and the traditional top tier teams are not as tough.

I think that there are just so many great DI teams this year that they are the center of conversation and press. A DII team will not get much respect or recognition until they beat a Smyrna, Shelbyville or Wilson Central team. Harpeth Hall beat Shelbyville last year and after that they seemed to be in the press and in sports conversation and went on to win the DII state Championship.

Just a thought.....

• 2 weeks later...

Why does everyone put Harpeth Hall and Jp2 ahead of Father Ryan???

Father Ryan beat Harpeth Hall by 10 and Harpeth Hall beat JP2 by 10....doesn't that get Father Ryan any higher in the rankings?

they are going to continue to surprise some people...

they murdered BGA last night 55-21 and no starters played in the 4th quarter...

they are coming onn....