Knox Central vs. Maryville

FBEmeritus

I am sensative to the fact everytime Maryville is on top and is expected to earn another trip to the state game, this issue of transfer students and tuition comes up. The rules are the rules and the law is the law, if you don't like it, vote and lobby to change it! I am one guy who is real gald Maryville excepted tuition students. Football was not even a thought for my sons.

Maryville is an outstanding school in most areas, and we play a little football.

Friday, we'll again play alittle football! Go Reb's!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Mr. FBE and all the Maryville faithful, your wish has come true. You get the Cats back for another game. IT should be tougher this time around. Hats of to KC they are well coached, ( must have 10 coaches??) and won with class. I do not think they had any injuries ( i hope) but for sure getting out of the bed sore this morning. Enjoy the rest of the season we'll be watching this one for sure. Go get em Cats!

I think you got your wording backwards Central gets their wish To play Maryville again.Maryville expects to be playing thru the finals , Central is just the next tune up aloung the way.

How is that Maryville is alway under the 5a school size it seems that they do deny certin students if they will be bumbed up to 5a but they will still win b/c of GQ. i'm not complaining about it just pointing it out

They stay in 4-A for the $$$$$$$$$. More gate when the teams your playing are not comming up from Chatt. or down from Bristol. Did you play basball at Powell. I know two great kids from there

I absolutely love posts like this. Trojan....either you are new to this board, trying to get responses, or just plain ignorant. Regardless of the label that you should wear let me explain.

Yes......Maryville does accept tuition students to an extent. The number accepted are class sensitive and most requests are rejected because of full conditions per grade. The amount of tuition students taken every year continue to decrease because of the population growth in the city of Maryville. BYW the cost is $2,200 per year.

Maryville has approximatley 11 tuition students on the team out of 120 plus players, that includes the freshman class. Of these 11 less than 6 are contributors.

Most of the good athletes do not go to Maryville. Let me use Alcoa as an example of a Blount county team that is loaded with athletes. William Blount has their fair share of athletes too. Heritage is an example of a school that is mostly void of athletes.

Alcoa accepts tuition students also and has more tuition students on their team than Maryville. The cost at Alcoa was $200 annually the last time I checked and it is my understanding that no one is denied.

The percentage of tuition students attending Maryville that do not play football is higher than the percentage that does. You see Trojan, Maryville has much much more to offer than great football. Year in and year out Maryville ranks as the best public school in the state where academics are concerned. Most parents send their out of city kids to Maryville for academics only.

Torjan said .....Sorta.... and explains why Maryville is a powerhouse every year?.....

Those are stupid statements and IMO you are lining up an excuse for your Trojans. Maryville's coaching staff is second to none in the state of Tennessee and the main reason that they are a powerhouse. The Maryville coaching staff could take their kids and beat you and they can take your kids and beat their kids ......get it? Explain how they can lose 10 starters from last years offense and 6 from the defense and be in the position they are now? Football knowledgable people know why.

Let me assure you Maryville has won many many games where the other team had numerous more athletes. Let's start off with Alcoa, Central, and Powell this year.

Tuition students have very little to do with the Maryville success but if it makes you feel better then keep on spewing that garbage.

For clarification purposes:

Alcoa does accept tuitions students based on available space in the specific grade requested. Tuition is $400 per year. At the end of 03/04 school year, several freshmen tuition students received letters stating, because of projected numbers, their tuition would no longer be accepted the following year. This is a large junior class (now). At midterm of the 04/05 school year, letters were sent reminding students that GPA's must be maintained in order for tuition to remain intact. A few borderline students had to step it up to ensure remaining at Alcoa, which was a win-win situation for all.

Kindergarten tuition was closed this past July because of high inzone numbers, along with several other grades. Academic offerings, classroom space, and faculty size determine the number of tuition students allowed to attend Alcoa City Schools.

Good luck to both Central and Maryville Friday night. What a game it should be!

Cleveland:

Someone gave you bad information. Maybe "open Zone" isn't the correct term. But there are many schools including Central who accept transfers and they are seldom if ever denied.

Pepvol:

No attack just the facts. Maryville accepts tuition students, some play football, and it helps the football team be better. How much better is the question?

Nickorlando:

"they don't recruit" thats hilarious!

FBEmeritus:

Your logic is illogical. You guys can only see one side of a situation. I would be the first to admit that Central gains an advantage because of their status of being an "open zone" school. But on the other hand Maryville gains a similar advantage by accepting tuition students. I think Maryville and Central are on an even playing field. As a fan of Central I would never use Maryvilles ability to accept tuition students as an excuse for our many defeats. Matter in fact we more than likely have more transfers that contribute to our team than you guys have. How good do you think Halls Powell etc... would be if they played under the same rules. What if Morristown West had run of the county and could take anyone who showed up on their door step. I realize that logical thinking escapes you and I have wasted my time and effort. But maybe some day the shoe will be on the other foot and you will understand.

Cleveland:

Someone gave you bad information. Maybe "open Zone" isn't the correct term. But there are many schools including Central who accept transfers and they are seldom if ever denied.

Pepvol:

No attack just the facts. Maryville accepts tuition students, some play football, and it helps the football team be better. How much better is the question?

Nickorlando:

FBEmeritus:

Your logic is illogical. You guys can only see one side of a situation. I would be the first to admit that Central gains an advantage because of their status of being an "open zone" school. But on the other hand Maryville gains a similar advantage by accepting tuition students. I think Maryville and Central are on an even playing field. As a fan of Central I would never use Maryvilles ability to accept tuition students as an excuse for our many defeats. Matter in fact we more than likely have more transfers that contribute to our team than you guys have. How good do you think Halls Powell etc... would be if they played under the same rules. What if Morristown West had run of the county and could take anyone who showed up on their door step. I realize that logical thinking escapes you and I have wasted my time and effort. But maybe some day the shoe will be on the other foot and you will understand.

I hate to start arguing with someone that also pulls for the Cats, but you need to read my post again before responding. I said that Knox County schools accept transfers and they are quite often denied. (the decision is made downtown, not at the school) Does Central and other schools recruit and then pull strings to get transfers? Anyone that says no is naive or just plain dumb. Is Maryville's decision on who to accept as a tuition student ever depend on how the kid did in middleschool ball? I'm sure sometimes it does. The fact is that as long as there are sports, people will try to recruit the best talent for their team- it happens in 4 year old flag football. And what about competing against private schools such as Catholic who entire student body are "tuition" and "transfer" students?

Bottom line is that regardless of how they are made up, the 2 best teams (who are very evenly matched) in 4A ball are meeting Friday night and winner takes all straight to the Boro.

Cleveland:

Pepvol:

Nickorlando:

FBEmeritus:

Maryville will always play by the rules , sorry that's so hard for you to understand . It's pathetic when people like you try to diminish another's accomplishments . If Central were to win Friday , we will congratulate you and wish you well , not get on here and constantly try to diminish Central's achievement in any way possible like you do .

Maryville will always play by the rules , sorry that's so hard for you to understand . It's pathetic when people like you try to diminish another's accomplishments . If Central were to win Friday , we will congratulate you and wish you well , not get on here and constantly try to diminish Central's achievement in any way possible like you do .

You don't read so good! I didn't say Maryville didn't play by the rules. Nor did I in any way diminish their accomplishments.

Three simple facts

1. Maryville accepts tuition students.

2. Some of these students play football.

3. They make Maryville a better team.

Does it make a significant difference? Its anybodys guess.

I will let others draw there own conclusions based on those 3 facts.