Columbia Thanksgiving Classic

Shootmore

18 teams are committed to the tourney from 4 diffrent states. What a weekend of girls basketball!!! I will try to get a schedule and post it here. Games will be played at the high school and at Whitthorne Middle(both schools side by side). Games will be Nov.25-26(Friday & Saturday).

Teams Committed:

Columbia Central

Lincoln Co.

Siegel

Lebanon

Lawrence Co.

Antioch

Brentwood Academy

Harding Academy

Obion Co.

Loretto

Wayne Co.

Mt. Pleasant

Spring Hill

Giles Co.

Hickman CO.

Tupelo, MS

Lexington, AL

South Gwinnett, GA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday, November 26th

Central High School

12noon Lebanon vs. Hickman Co

1:30 Lincoln Co. vs. Siegel

3:00 Brentwood Academy vs. Lawrence Co.

4:30 Wayne Co. vs. Tupelo, MS

6:00 Loretto vs. Obion Co.

7:30 Columbia vs. South Gwinnett, GA

At Whitthorne Middle

1:30 Antioch vs. Giles Co.

3:00 Spring Hill vs. Harding Academy

4:30 Lexington, AL vs. Mt. Pleasant

Saturday, November 27th

Central High School

12noon Tupelo, MS vs. Giles Co.

1:30 South Gwinnett, GA vs. Lincoln Co.

3:00 Harding Academy vs. Lexington, AL

4:30 Mt. Pleasant vs. Hickman Co.

6:00 Columbia vs. Brentwood Academy

7:30 Lawrence Co. vs. Wayne Co.

At Whitthorne Middle School

1:30 Spring Hill vs. Lebanon

3:00 Obion Co. vs. Antioch

4:30 Siegel vs. Loretto

Admission- $6.00 per day or a two day pass for $10.00

Edited by Shootmore

That is the disire of the tournament committee to have a matchup that will peak mainly the local interest on Sat. night. For those hunting games to watch, the Columbia South Gwinnette matchup will be a war. South Gwinnette was one of Columbia's 3 losses last year by 4 at their place in the Deep South Christmas Classic. They eagerly accepted the invite to come to Columbia with the notion they can do it again. They only had 1 senior so it will be an interesting game. I know the Lady Lions have a few games circled on their schedule and this is one of them.

BTW we tried hard to get a Lawrence Co./ Summertown game and came relatively close. Maybe in the future Don't hold your breath on that one though.

That is the disire of the tournament committee to have a matchup that will peak mainly the local interest on Sat. night. For those hunting games to watch, the Columbia South Gwinnette matchup will be a war. South Gwinnette was one of Columbia's 3 losses last year by 4 at their place in the Deep South Christmas Classic. They eagerly accepted the invite to come to Columbia with the notion they can do it again. They only had 1 senior so it will be an interesting game. I know the Lady Lions have a few games circled on their schedule and this is one of them.

BTW we tried hard to get a Lawrence Co./ Summertown game and came relatively close. Maybe in the future Don't hold your breath on that one though.

Now that's one I would love to watch. Don't know how or what has to go into making a high school schedule, but I sure wish Summertown was on the Lawrence County schedule twice each year. We have great girls basketball in this county and I think it is good for all the schools to interact as much as possible. It's ok to hate each other a couple of nights a year for bragging rights and you know the gyms would be full. That would mean extra $$$ for the schools. So let's start dropping some of these teams from up North etc... and play some real County ball. Lawrence County, Loretto and Summertown. Three great schools and teams and when their paths cross it's all out war. That's the way it should be.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!

kw

Well bout the only reason it didn't fly was 1 person......an administrator.......and that's all I'm sayin because we are still going to try to pull it off later. Next year we'll be 24 teams 2 gyms except for the night games. Already have teams wanting to come from out of state and in state.

It is a Great Tourney and I can't wait. Keep working on the in county match up. Must have had some crowd control problems etc... to turn down a packed gym. I will let the administrators administrate, I just want to watch basketball and pull for my team.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!

"Basketball, nothing more needs to be said"

kw

Crowd control is no issue it wasn't Columbia administration. I think there is some bad vibes from years and years ago in the Summertown/LC rivalry (I was led to believe it was actually from the boys side) but anyway... we'll keep trying. We definitely love having our district partner playing in the Sat. anchor game though and there are other matchups that will come about. We remembered the old Wayne Co and Lawrence Co. matchups which led to this one.

Crowd control is no issue it wasn't Columbia administration. I think there is some bad vibes from years and years ago in the Summertown/LC rivalry (I was led to believe it was actually from the boys side) but anyway... we'll keep trying. We definitely love having our district partner playing in the Sat. anchor game though and there are other matchups that will come about. We remembered the old Wayne Co and Lawrence Co. matchups which led to this one.

Never meant to imply that is was Columbia. Just thought there might have been fights etc... on/off court during the early days. Being a Alabama reject I don't have the memories of the early years here :unsure:

HOOPS TO YA!!!!

kw