Sports Injuries-Ladies

PHargis

I would like to offer my perspective:

I believe that many of these injuries are actually being caused by a lack of down time. I have coached these young ladies in the summer and fall leagues and I realize that they are constantly playing, practicing, or conditioning.

We go from the regular season, straight to AAU, right into summer camps, more AAU, in August most schools have conditioning, then fall leagues, practice starts in October and right back to the regular season.

I am no physical therapist but when do the minor wears and tears have time to heal? Is It time to have a mandatory dead period even for a couple weeks? Is it biological that many of our best players are having season ending injuries?

Fuller, Cait, TD and the rest. Is it so outrageous that the girls who are pushing themselves the most are experiencing these injuries

Your thoughts?

I am not sure that I would have agreed with you a few years back but as I see the evidence mounting , you may be right. My spin is a little different but concludes maybe the same thing. Athletes feel the need to keep their conditioning current most of the time. I contend, from a physical as well as mental state, that it is good to take some time off from a major sport or at least do it on an informal basis instead of on an organized basis. Those, who have been thru this as players as well as parents, feel and see something called burn out which is a real thing. There is nothing wrong with participating in other athletic activities or other things to to use other parts of the body. and give the time to "heal and mentally get one back on track. The time it takes may be different with different people but one thing that hasn't been mentioned in any of these threads, it gives the parents, the family time to heal also. All parents know the feeling of having multiple kids, doing multiple sports and the stress of having to be two places at the same time for the sake of practice and participation. Over years, there is parental burnout also. I am now seeing all of these occuring problems start to correct a little bit when the athletes themselves are beginning to say "NO MAS". I want to try something else for a while. One thing that is for sure, time is going to be taken off one way or the other. Whether it be voluntarily or by recuperation of an injury and then the degree of proficiency may not be as great as it was before the injury.

Everyone wants to hone their skills to be their very best. Schedules on sports do not allow time off. They overlap. Those who supervise school, AAU, camp situations may have already started realizing that the way kids are conditioning today may not require the heavy conditioning each time an athlete walks on the court for a different coach. According to the age, it may require weight traing. I contend that conditioning is in a purpetual change of techniques and the old way of doing things is quickly changing.

I have tried to pull out of the very good professionals, the total picture. It is hard for anyone to do. Manditory time off is good and I believe the good coaches are now starting to do this. Two weeks may be enough time for some but it may not be enough time for others. Other criteria is in play, "Am I going to make the team? Am I going to achieve what I want to achieve". There are not enough teams and levels of teams for athletes to participate at the level they want to. In some quarters, the super team for a state is being pushed but for those getting into that situation , at the end are the possibility of the aforementioned athletes that might get in to a situation like that to spend some time off of the floor, recuperating form a serious injury. Some very good athletes start out trying to do that and because of inconsistances of conditioning, wind up with heavy duty injuries that finally require them to quit the sports they are in or change sports entirely. It is the individuals choice and this thread was started to try to cut down injuries in females for their situations are not like males. However, I predict that very soon you are going to see some of the some things in males.

I have rambled and there has been a lot of participation but not enough dialogue in this thread from high school, AAU, etc coaches. This , at this point, information is being, to some degree, from the professionals. There are some great club programs out there. But why do some think you have to compete on a national basis to have a good club. What does this speak of as to the level of coaching? Could the major causes of injuries have to do with summer programs? Ummm, I have really stepped in to a heated discussion here and I will now stop and let someone else take the floor but this was a very good post and the discussion between professionals, coaches, aau, club is good as long as something comes out of this. Maybe, when this thread slows down, someone will start putting together something to capsulize these very informative posts. Coacht is very gracious to let this been as wide ranging as it has been and I really believe there needs to be a forum on this but the problem with that is I am not sure it would have the traffic and the participation as a forum that deals with a female sport.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have enjoyed reading the info provided here and links concerning ACL injuries. My daughter goes in for surgury to repair a torn ACL today. These injuries take on a new meaning when it's your daughter. Thanks for the info.

I know that this is not a good time right now. I am sure your daughter's surgery will come out fine. You didn't mention how it was torn but since you are reading this, I have got to assume it was done athletically. Was unsure has this thread was going to come out although have since found it has been done before. evidently just found a new generation. Sofine and Polis are professionals and they have mentioned links and also other professionals. This thread is supposed to be informational especially since there is a proliferation of females getting into athletics and making a valid attempt to do so at a high level. Sometime send coacht an email tnanking him for the air time to allow this to go as far as it has. We have probably broken a lot of his rules. As they have said, there is no end to this subject but on the other side of this is is progress in Techniques, equipment, better education on how to protect ones self. You only have to watch TV and see that others playing now have had this type surgery and are participating at the highest level so there has to be some very high professionals taking care of them. Again hope your daughter does well.

I know that this is not a good time right now. I am sure your daughter's surgery will come out fine. You didn't mention how it was torn but since you are reading this, I have got to assume it was done athletically. Was unsure has this thread was going to come out although have since found it has been done before. evidently just found a new generation. Sofine and Polis are professionals and they have mentioned links and also other professionals. This thread is supposed to be informational especially since there is a proliferation of females getting into athletics and making a valid attempt to do so at a high level. Sometime send coacht an email tnanking him for the air time to allow this to go as far as it has. We have probably broken a lot of his rules. As they have said, there is no end to this subject but on the other side of this is is progress in Techniques, equipment, better education on how to protect ones self. You only have to watch TV and see that others playing now have had this type surgery and are participating at the highest level so there has to be some very high professionals taking care of them. Again hope your daughter does well.

Thanks, she tore it playing basketball--non contact just a quick stop on the baseline after a steal.

Thanks, she tore it playing basketball--non contact just a quick stop on the baseline after a steal.

Pole- Could this be typical ? No contact, quick stop after a steal, really don't know conditioning techniques, don't know fatigue factors, don't know if well conditioned, don't know if played year round, no way to know v factor of this athlete, any comments.

PHargis....

Tearing the ACL with a quick stop and cut is VERY common for females. There are many factors to consider: strength differences, anatomical differences, hormonal imbalances, etc. We discussed this back a few pages ago.

Great points on the overuse and wear & tear.....but I think we discussed this back a few pages also. (Don't mean to sound rude, but I don't want to repeat everything that has already been said.)

Unfortunately, there are those parents that think their kid is going to be the next superstar athlete (even though they are the 3rd string bench-warmer). And unfortunately, you can NEVER win an argument with one of these types or make them see the logical way of thinking. I could go on forever about this, but I'm sure we have all seen those types of parents around....whether it's AAU, Club or High School. Dealing with that type of person is one of the most frustrating aspects of my job.

To read a story of a parent taking it to extremes - check out this link:

http://www.golfdigest.com/newsandtour/inde...50121ohair.html

jusdontno.....hope your daughter has a great recovery.

PHargis....

Tearing the ACL with a quick stop and cut is VERY common for females. There are many factors to consider: strength differences, anatomical differences, hormonal imbalances, etc. We discussed this back a few pages ago.

Great points on the overuse and wear & tear.....but I think we discussed this back a few pages also. (Don't mean to sound rude, but I don't want to repeat everything that has already been said.)

Unfortunately, there are those parents that think their kid is going to be the next superstar athlete (even though they are the 3rd string bench-warmer). And unfortunately, you can NEVER win an argument with one of these types or make them see the logical way of thinking. I could go on forever about this, but I'm sure we have all seen those types of parents around....whether it's AAU, Club or High School. Dealing with that type of person is one of the most frustrating aspects of my job.

To read a story of a parent taking it to extremes - check out this link:

http://www.golfdigest.com/newsandtour/inde...50121ohair.html

jusdontno.....hope your daughter has a great recovery.

Sofine--special Link, special story, Parents want the best for their child, some even want to live vicariously. this does not apply to the poster, at least I did not get that from her post. However sometimes it is not the childs nature to want to participate.

Sofine is right about the non-contact acl injuries.... I can't think of one torn acl (that I have witnessed) in female bask. that was from contact. I don't have any numbers from research articles or tests but IMO would think that at least 75% of female bask. player acl injuries are non-contact.. What do you think Sofine? And as Sofine has said above, we discussed fatigue and year round play in previous posts and yes, no down time is a factor.... Good luck to the athlete who had surgery, hope she does well...

Sofine is right about the non-contact acl injuries.... I can't think of one torn acl (that I have witnessed) in female bask. that was from contact. I don't have any numbers from research articles or tests but IMO would think that at least 75% of female bask. player acl injuries are non-contact.. What do you think Sofine? And as Sofine has said above, we discussed fatigue and year round play in previous posts and yes, no down time is a factor.... Good luck to the athlete who had surgery, hope she does well...

This may be a question that no one would consider or an alternative that is not practical but if a person has an acl and does not elect to have surgery, can this be an alternative?

Hargis: People with ACL tears can elect to not have surgery, but if they do, they almost certainly will not be returning to competitive athletics. Scar tissue will replace the damaged ACL (which due to its nature will not heal itself fully even if only partially torn), but the knee will never be entirely stable Also, an ACL tear cannot be effectively repaired surgically like other ligaments can. If surgery is elected, the choice is which tendon to graft to reconstruct the damaged ACL. The middle third of the patella tendon is the usual choice. The hamstring is also an option. Rehab is the key to a good result.

Edited by CycloneFan

Hargis: People with ACL tears can elect to not have surgery, but if they do, they almost certainly will not be returning to competitive athletics. Scar tissue will replace the damaged ACL (which due to its nature will not heal itself fully even if only partially torn), but the knee will never be entirely stable Also, an ACL tear cannot be effectively repaired surgically like other ligaments can. If surgery is elected, the choice is which tendon to graft to reconstruct the damaged ACL. The middle third of the patella tendon is the usual choice. The hamstring is also an option. Rehab is the key to a good result.

I appreciate the reply. There are some cases that when looking at the injury, it is discovered that the athlete may not have insurance. It is my understanding that the cost of repair could run as much as $7000. It would be wise that if the student/athlete is participating in a high level program, the family should make msure there is insurance coverage to cover any eventualty. If what this poster says is correct, playing later at a high level may be questionable but a professional needs to call that shot. I appreciate this post.

I appreciate the reply. There are some cases that when looking at the injury, it is discovered that the athlete may not have insurance. It is my understanding that the cost of repair could run as much as $7000. It would be wise that if the student/athlete is participating in a high level program, the family should make msure there is insurance coverage to cover any eventualty. If what this poster says is correct, playing later at a high level may be questionable but a professional needs to call that shot. I appreciate this post.

Cyclone is right.. You don't have to get it repaired if you want to give up sports. The knee is just too unstable to play sports without the ACL. There was an NFL player who was found not to have an ACL in one knee but never experienced problems in hs or college football, just a freak of nature.... They concluded that he was just born without or torn at a very early age. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but according to the TSSAA if an athlete does not have medical insurance thru mom or dad then school insurance must be purchased in order for them to be eligable to play... And $7000 wouldn't touch most ACL surgeries!!!!!

Edited by Mr. Polesit