Who was DB best defensive back in the modern day

darkknight

Jeremy Graves, Fred Powell, Teddy Gaines, Gerald Sensabaugh, Chris Machen...that would be my first group (at first thought)...

some others of note - Jermaine Carpenter, Jessee McMillan, Dustin Gaines, Walker Throp, Jason Sensabaugh, Stephen Moten, Jessee Alley...all the above have made at least all-conference.

go back a few years and theres Gary Smith, Rick Sizemore, Bill Newell, Steve Jones...I am sure there are many more to be remembered...

and by the way darkknight, no one named "Thorp" has played for D-B.

Coach Brian Barrett is the defensive backs coach @ D-B...Coach Bill Church has also worked with the safety position during the "modern era"

Roll Tribe Roll

Gerald Sensabaugh was a good player, is he related to the Sensabaugh they have now. He plays in the NFL now dont he. Ive heard his name this year. And where are the black athletes DB used to have. I went to the DB-OAk Ridge game and I seen no black kids. I remember back in the late 80's DB had a few black players :huh::o

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald Sensabaugh was a good player, is he related to the Sensabaugh they have now. He plays in the NFL now dont he. Ive heard his name this year. And where are the black athletes DB used to have. I went to the DB-OAk Ridge game and I seen no black kids. I remember back in the late 80's DB had a few black players :ph34r::ph34r:

They are cousins I believe. Quite an athletic family. Cousins Teddy Gaines, Dustin Gaines, Preston Sensabaugh, Brandon Sensabaugh at D-B and Boo Sensabaugh from nearby JI Burton HS in Virginia all played college ball. Jalen Sensabaugh in 7th grade is already a great athlete! I think Jalen and Coty are brothers.

Don't forget Mike Faulkerson, he played Strong Safety although he mostly played offense. I always thought he would play defense in college and pros. I think the Bears even tried him at DE in preseason once because he was such a tremendous hitter!

Jalen Sensabaugh (6th grader at Sevier) is a younger brother to Gerald and Jason...they are cousins with Coty...as well as cousins to Teddy Gaines and his brother Dustin...Preston and Brandon and Cory Sensabaugh are all brothers, but I don't think related to the aforementioned folks...all good athletes...either Preston or Brandon has a son, Chris, who was the big RB at Sevier this year...

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

T.W. Puguese was awesome. All-State and was the first D-B player selected for the Tennessee/Kentucky All-Star Game. Signed with MTSU. Tremendous speed and vision for the ball. Was only about 5'9" 160lbs but played without fear!!

T. if your on here sorry I propped Fergie without including ya!!

Roll Tribe

Edited by biglon68

Jalen Sensabaugh (6th grader at Sevier) is a younger brother to Gerald and Jason...they are cousins with Coty...as well as cousins to Teddy Gaines and his brother Dustin...Preston and Brandon and Cory Sensabaugh are all brothers, but I don't think related to the aforementioned folks...all good athletes...either Preston or Brandon has a son who is the big RB at Sevier this year...

Roll Tribe Roll

My bad Skunk! Got my Sensabaugh's crossed. Jalen is the big kid that I saw at the Boy's Club. Chris is the kid in the 7th grade. He must be Brandon's son because Preston and Cory live in Murfreesboro (or at least the last time I saw Preston). The article on tricitiessports.com a few weeks ago about Chris mentioned he was Gerald's cousin, so they all must be related. Doesn't matter as long as they all end up in Maroon & Grey!!!!

My bad Skunk! Got my Sensabaugh's crossed. Jalen is the big kid that I saw at the Boy's Club. Chris is the kid in the 7th grade. He must be Brandon's son because Preston and Cory live in Murfreesboro (or at least the last time I saw Preston). The article on tricitiessports.com a few weeks ago about Chris mentioned he was Gerald's cousin, so they all must be related. Doesn't matter as long as they all end up in Maroon & Grey!!!!

Nope, Jalen is very small for his age, 60 pounds soakin wet, but fast as lightening!! Very good athlete and a great kid!

biglon68,

I remember T.W. more for his pass receiving and kick/punt returning skills and man did he have some...like another MTSU performer Chris Henry, very solid defensive back, but I think of him as a great WR and return man...

and Jalen is, as VolmanScott said, small and fast...and like his brothers, he will hit you...you probably saw Chris at the boy's club, too...thanks for the info on Preston and Cory...

and YOUR#,

I put Jesse on my list...he had a great season...you get named co-defensive player of the year in the Big East, you have had a great year, thus Jesse had a great year.

Roll Tribe Roll

biglon68,

I remember T.W. more for his pass receiving and kick/punt returning skills and man did he have some...like another MTSU performer Chris Henry, very solid defensive back, but I think of him as a great WR and return man...

and Jalen is, as VolmanScott said, small and fast...and like his brothers, he will hit you...you probably saw Chris at the boy's club, too...thanks for the info on Preston and Cory...

and YOUR#,

I put Jesse on my list...he had a great season...you get named co-defensive player of the year in the Big East, you have had a great year, thus Jesse had a great year.

Roll Tribe Roll

T.W. was my teammate, he was known for his ball skills and he pulled us out of several tight games with great catches and sensational punt returns but he was a tremendous hitter and didn't get alot of newspaper coverage for his defensive skills because almost everyone was reluctant to throw his way. He always got the tough assignments like covering Orion Cox the 6'5" receiver at Oak Ridge or that big TE at Knox Halls. The amazing thing was his junior and senior years he played hurt almost every game and still was the star of our class. He had lower back and hamstring problems.

What year was your senior season Skunk? By the way, I agree Jesse Alley is very talented and had a great season.

Some very good threads,Coach Brian Barrett is one of my best friends and he does a great job with the DEF. BACKS at DB,over the years talking with him and watching those kids here are my two cents.

FS-Fred Powell (Memphis) would knock your lights out.

SS-Chris Machen (small school in N.C.) run and hit and hit hard.

C-Jeremy Graves (Marshall)best athlete of them all-4 1st place at state trck meet

C-Teddy Gaines (Tennessee)Coach B. said no one could out work him,2 time state champion in 400 meters,Won National Championship at UT playing on SPECIAL TEAMS against FLORIDA STATE in the win. Drafted by the 49ers,made practice squad with Chicago Bears played one year in NFL EUROPE with the RHEIN FIRE,made last cut the fowlling year with BEARS,made last cut with the TORONTO CFL team.

FS-Jessee McMillan-(GA.SOUTHERN) won 2 or 3 National Championship there.

FS-Jacob McMillan-(AIR FORCE AC)(TUL)very smart player

FS-Jermaine Carpenter-for his size great player

FS-Steve Moten-left for another HS

SS-Kevin McMillan-solid player,Jessee little brother

SS-Tylee Henry-even though he left DB he was a great player to watch,he had all the ability

SS-Robbie Cassell-he was one of Coach B's original BANDITS (WAKE FORREST)

SS-Walker Throp-could play ever position

C-GERALD SENSABAUGH WHAT A FREAK,OUTSTANDING JUMPER (ETSU-NC) DRAFTED BY THE JACKSONVILLE JAG.MAY TURN OUT TO BE THE BEST EVER TO COME OUT YET.

C-Chris Henry-(MTSU) mostly a WR

The DB'S this year were Alley,Throp,Sensabaugh some say they were as solid as any the tribe has had.The coaches are looking for big things to come out of Throp and Sensabaugh next year they are both shut down corners.

Most all of these players ran track and it seemed to really help them with there football.

biglon68,

I am much older than you, in fact, was the voice of the Indians on WKPT-AM when you and T.W. were playing...class of '76...keep up the good posts

zipman,

good post...interesting stuff...thanks

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Indians and Indian fans

Roll Tribe Roll