Melrose @ Hillsboro

orangemoundwest

I saw them play two weeks ago. THey have team speed that Hillsboro has not seen. Melrose has team speed at every position. The key is to get up on Hillsboro , like someone said earlier make them throw the ball. The key is Hillsboro uses up so much clock it shortens the game. Even when they are forced to punt they have used up 5-6 mins and have good field position putting the other team in bad field position. Melrose has battled hillsboro toe-toe every game, this one will be no different. close game. hillsboro 7-melrose 6.

Did you know that Melrose has a kicker now? :thumb:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RebelRaider,

Are you trying to bait us and get us all worked up? :thumb: First, I'm not going to look past Hillsboro and I would suggest that you consider Mo West might not concede victory to Maryville. I have a feeling that they will get off the bus take their chances.

Maryville's accomplishments on the gridiron are to be commended and respected, but I don't think that Melrose or Hillsboro are scared of you. So let's see how this Friday unfolds and go from there.

OMW

Good post orangemoundwest and I am one Maryville fan who agrees Raider is trying to bait you. He does not represent the majority of Maryville's fans but to his credit is passionate in his support.

Most of us in Maryville respect both of those teams and know, the winner will be gunning for us for sure for oblivious reasons and because of past history. Both Hillsboro and Melrose are great programs and well coached. As you well know we got out of the State game with our skin by a mere point. I will be studying the contest and pick the team I think will NOT be able to match up well enough to beat my Rebels, should we be fortunate to advance to the boro again.

Again, my pick will be the team that I think Maryville can manage to match up against, not who I think will win the game, because both teams are very good and could maybe defeat Maryville. Enjoy your week and turkey and maybe we will see you again soon.

Good post orangemoundwest and I am one Maryville fan who agrees Raider is trying to bait you. He does not represent the majority of Maryville's fans but to his credit is passionate in his support.

Most of us in Maryville respect both of those teams and know, the winner will be gunning for us for sure for oblivious reasons and because of past history. Both Hillsboro and Melrose are great programs and well coached. As you well know we got out of the State game with our skin by a mere point. I will be studying the contest and pick the team I think will NOT be able to match up well enough to beat my Rebels, should we be fortunate to advance to the boro again.

Again, my pick will be the team that I think Maryville can manage to match up against, not who I think will win the game, because both teams are very good and could maybe defeat Maryville. Enjoy your week and turkey and maybe we will see you again soon.

Always a pleasure FBEmeritus. I can relate to Rader's passion as I am a Golden Wildcat all the way through.

This final four has the makings of a real good one. 1 point has been a big factor in our post season history over the past few runs and we know how hard it is to make it through the playoff gauntlet. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

Enjoy your week also and the greatness of top notch high school playoff football!

Hillsboro has beaten two excellent football teams the past two weeks in Maplewood and Whites Creek. Both of those teams are loaded with athletes so they won't be in awe to what Melrose can do athletically.

Ron Aydelott is a great coach who I said back in May would take the Burros back to the 'Boro in December. Playing this game at home will be a huge help and I see Hillsboro winning this game and winning the Blue Cross Bowl in two weeks.

Let's Go Burros!!! Show 'em how football is played here in the midstate :thumb:

This Hillsboro team isnt as good as the one that won state 2 yrs ago but they are very good and i c them goin to state and losing to maryville. but in all fairness they are in my region and i say go burros i m rooting for yall.LCHS

Always a pleasure FBEmeritus. I can relate to Rader's passion ...... top notch high school playoff football!

Hey OMW! You guys are pouring it on! I hope to see you guys on top of it all in a couple of weeks.

I made some statements about Cooper on an earlier post. Kind of second guessing myself, but I think that he is one of the best backs to come across the state in a long, long time. Am I off base here? He is a special kid who has much promise for the future in football. I would love to hear your input...

Hey OMW! You guys are pouring it on! I hope to see you guys on top of it all in a couple of weeks.

I made some statements about Cooper on an earlier post. Kind of second guessing myself, but I think that he is one of the best backs to come across the state in a long, long time. Am I off base here? He is a special kid who has much promise for the future in football. I would love to hear your input...

Drewcephus,

First congratulations on a great year and thanks for your congrats to in the earlier post.

Cooper isa special player. Stronger than he looks, deceptive speed, amazing change of directions, and great acceleration. You are not off base. He is a better back than his Jr. year. I agree that he is one of the best backs we've seen in quite a while. A JCM backer stated on the radio that he is the best he has seen in 20 years. I'm happy that some are underestimating him. That is better for us.

Cooper had been dinged up earlier in the year and we replaced just about the entire OLine from last year. In addition, the new coach changed offenses this year plus shuffled QBs several times over the course of the first few games. We were not keeping offenses honest. The OLine has made giant steps and defenses can't load up the box and not worry about the pass. We settled on a QB and Cooper is healthier than he has been all year.

Anyone that is still playing is going to be a very good team. Hillsboro is a very solid team that plays there brand of football very well. A solid run game and a swarming defense. This should be a very exciting game friday night. It may be the best game in the midstate friday night. Lets hope that this game is not like the last two matchups in that Melrose lost a DL in the first match up and Hillsboro lost fridge in the second game. This burro team has been exciting to watch and the best thing is the only graduate 3 on both sides of the ball.

Edited by duckhntr

Drewcephus,

First congratulations on a great year and thanks for your congrats ...... QB and Cooper is healthier than he has been all year.

Yes, Melrose has a balanced attack. But Cooper is a weapon unlike any of the rest in your arsenal! Even so Hillsboro is not going to go without a HUGE fight! HC played them several times before when we were 5A, they are very tough as you well know.

One of the things that impressed me the most about Cooper is his ability to really take a hit and then come back the next play and not shy away from defenders. He just gets back up and takes it to 'em again! I didn't get to see the JCM game, but from the radio he sounded incredible. I know that he took some hits from our guys at Henry County and it didn't slow him down. I may try and come to Nashville Friday for this one. My schedule looks a little better than it did last week. Once again, Good Luck OMW - get the Gold Ball back in West Tennessee!!! :thumb:

OMW, I agree w/ Drewcephus. Cooper is like nothing that I have seen at this level. As I have told family and friends across the state, he'll be someone that we'll be watching on TV for years to come. But he's not the only athlete on the team. And yes, you do have a kicking team this year. The Cougars wish you all the best of luck against Hillsboro and on to the "Ship." We would like to see you bring back the "Gold Ball" to West Tennessee. I'll be in Nashville for Thanksgiving and I just might have to come out and watch some more football. Again, best of luck!

This Hillsboro team isnt as good as the one that won state 2 yrs ago but they are very good and i c them goin to state and losing to maryville. but in all fairness they are in my region and i say go burros i m rooting for yall.LCHS

Wildcatcrazy,

1) Can you give me some objective reasons why you think Hillsboro is (first) going to beat Melrose?

2) What do you know about this year's Melrose team that helped you make the case--that Melrose will lose to Hillsboro?

This is about the 2nd post that I've seen where someone has already put Hillsboro into the 4A final! It's as if a Hillsboro victory over Melrose is a foregone conclusion--kinda' like Hillsboro is leaps-&-bounds better than Melrose, or something.

I'd just like to get some details, once and for all, on what makes Hillsboro so much more dominate than Melrose. Afterall, that seems to be the inference.... Please--help me to understand (I'm being sincere, btw).

Wildcatcrazy, I've seen Melrose play many times this year. They have an outstanding team, to say the least. They have all the ingredients necessary to win the Gold Ball this year. Yet, speaking objectively, I'm hesitant to say that they're gonna beat Hillsboro. There are just too many unknown factors, for me.

For starters, I have not seen Hillsboro play THIS year (I saw them play Melrose years ago, twice). Thus, it's hard for me to accurately compare these two teams. On paper, both appear to be great on both sides of the ball....that's really about all that I can deduce. There's not enough (on-paper) "seperation" between the two teams, to enable me to pick a probable winner.

Wildcatcrazy, you obviously know something about both Melrose and Hillsboro that I don't. Could your please share your information.

Thanks.

Edited by TraderB

Did the Melrose's new head coach change the defense? Last year their defense was unreal! Very disciplined and excellent fundamentals. They didn't just man up and send 7 guys on a blitz every play. If the defense is similar to last year, then I see Melrose winning 10-7.

No changes. The defensive coordinator is still at Melrose. The defense is at least as good or better than last year.

Edited by orangemoundwest