VanBuren County vs. Clay County

UCSportsFan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our team dont make excuses so saying that we just didnt make all the key plays we needed to win but overall I think we did good. Can not wait till we play you next time up here :thumb: !!!!!!!

Well if we thought that winning was so important to win we would have took up a donation and payed off the refs so we could win if i had to cheat i wouldn't even play oh yeah number 33 wipe your tears :(

Okay, I am going to handle all of this as objectively as I can:

'mykids'- whoever you are please do not make excuses for our team such as "clay needed help" to win just like last year. As one other poster noted we lost last year because we missed wide open lay-ups. It had nothing to do with outside help or as another person put it because of Clay's defense. We missed shots and that's the bottom line. Last night was no different...clay just made more plays when it counted. We had our chances and just did not get the job done. Please whoever you are do not say things like this on these boards... it makes us sound like whiners.

'dawg05' - I know you love your dawgs very much and that is to be commended, but please... to say that the reason the game was close is because it is early is misguided. We too will continue to improve as the year goes on. We have had no more time to prepare than you guys so the game later in the year should be just as good. In fact, we could make the argument that because we have people learning new roles and growing up (our top 7 consists of 2 sophomores & 2 juniors) we could actually improve more than you because you have basically the same people as before.

'devil' - Come on guy. You all played just as good for your talent level as we did. For you and others to insenuate(sp.?) that we played at the top of our game and you all played down is ridiculous. Please just give credit and say that we are better than you expected. It is completely understandable to see how people could think there is no way we could be better after losing the seniors we lost last year, but that is the case. And not because they are gone, but simply because our players have put in the time it takes to improve in the off-season. You guys have a tremendous team, but ours is not that bad either. It's okay to say someone else is good and that the game was just tough. You don't always have to use the "we did not play as good as we could" card.

Edited by vanbureneagle

I expect Celina to be rusty, but I didnt expect for them to let VB hang around!

What happened devil? I know you guys are more than 5 better than VB, arent you?

Can no one give Van Buren credit for hanging around? I mean seriously has anyone ever thought that maybe Van Buren has improved that much......I mean come on give credit where credit is due........

Agreed sledge, but I am a little bit puzzled, how can van buren be picked fourth in their district?

If you are referring to the district picks in the nashville newspaper, read the article very closely. Players were mentioned about some of the teams, the number of returning starters for many teams were mentioned, but what was said about Van Buren? I don't believe anything. It is much easier to rank teams in the top of the district if you know something about them. If you don't know anything about them it is easier to rank them in the middle. By the way I don't believe Van Buren was picked very high in the district they just left last year. Van Buren played some good teams last year in that district. I have watched Van Buren for quite a few years. This year's team has the potential to be good. Time will tell if fourth in the district was justified. Have a good basketball season Billy Bob!

'mykids'- whoever you are please do not make excuses for our team such as "clay needed help" to win just like last year. As one other poster noted we lost last year because we missed wide open lay-ups. It had nothing to do with outside help or as another person put it because of Clay's defense. We missed shots and that's the bottom line. Last night was no different...clay just made more plays when it counted. We had our chances and just did not get the job done. Please whoever you are do not say things like this on these boards... it makes us sound like whiners.

'dawg05' - I know you love your dawgs very much and that is to be commended, but please... to say that the reason the game was close is because it is early is misguided. We too will continue to improve as the year goes on. We have had no more time to prepare than you guys so the game later in the year should be just as good. In fact, we could make the argument that because we have people learning new roles and growing up (our top 7 consists of 2 sophomores & 2 juniors) we could actually improve more than you because you have basically the same people as before.

'devil' - Come on guy. You all played just as good for your talent level as we did. For you and others to insenuate(sp.?) that we played at the top of our game and you all played down is ridiculous. Please just give credit and say that we are better than you expected. It is completely understandable to see how people could think there is no way we could be better after losing the seniors we lost last year, but that is the case. And not because they are gone, but simply because our players have put in the time it takes to improve in the off-season. You guys have a tremendous team, but ours is not that bad either. It's okay to say someone else is good and that the game was just tough. You don't always have to use the "we did not play as good as we could" card.

I'll start by saying ya'll missin the layups had a lot to do with our defense and our intesity. Your boys were scared to death when we came out hot in the second half and it showed. You don't want us to belittle your efforts, don't belittle ours. I believe that falls under the "lead by example" rule.

Now onto what you said of my quote. It's understandable that you think your boys could play us to 5 points again because you don't know anything about this Clay Co. team. I would say I probably know this team better than anyone on these boards. Your boys won't improve anywhere near as much as ours will and you'll find that out later on. One thing you said was "We have had no more time to prepare than you guys so the game later in the year should be just as good." Clay Co. is the most prepared team anywhere after Christmas because coach gets tapes of everybody and studies them. You're not gonna be as prepared as we will be later in the season, I guarentee that.

As a side note, if you guys have such a good team, you won't be so proud that you only lost by 5. Clay is upset that they only by 5 and ya'll are just happy to be close. That's what separates good teams from great teams. Those Clay Co. players are lucky they didn't have a day off after this game, because I doubt coach is happy with the performance they put out last night.

Ok i will give credit where credit is due. Vanburen played a heck of a game last night and hustled their tails off. I liked what i saw, lots of heart and alot of heigth. You boys are lacking in just one area to be a real force and that is a "true" point guard. Put Corey Crain on that team and look out! As for the idiot "Moose 3898" that posted for #33 to wipe is tears. There were no tears on his part, he was the leading scorer and dominated whoever you put on him that was plain to see. Before you say otherwise, he was the leading scorer and rebounder of this game. However he could care less as could any of these boys, they are a team and none of them care how much they score or who does what, they are very unselfish and that is why they will get better as the year goes on. Good luck to Vanburen for the rest of the season. I hope you have great season and do very well in your new district and i mean that! :lol:

I don't think anyone in Clay Co. is happy with the performance they put out. They came out in the first quarter extremely rusty and Van Buren came out ON FIRE. They scored somewhere between 18-20 in the first. Celina won't be able to give that lead to alot of teams and still win, and thanks to tyler kerr who shot extremely well in the first half, the lead wasn't as big as it should've been. Celina will improve alot over the course of the season, and probably the only way VB can keep it close next time is if they shoot really good, and keep #33 out of foul trouble, and if Clay comes out REALLY slow again. Let's hope they come out better against a few teams in the future or Celina too will have L's on their schedule. If they come out that way on LA, Pickett, and maybe even Jackson Co, all of whom seem to have reasons to go after Clay (because of players that once played there, or, in PC case, a bitter RIVALRY). This should be a very interesting season to say the least, but they will pull thru once they get their heads on right. Good Luck to the Bulldogs.