Best OR running back

OR632003

1. Shawn Bohannon

2. Shawn Summer

2A. Spencer Gulmire

3. Corey Booker

4. Shawn Williams

5. Eric Menefee

From a running back only standpoint, Bohannon gets my vote as the best pure running back at OR.

I can go either way with Summers and Gulmire. Both are similar type players. Both played on both sides of the ball. The tie breaker for me at this point is Shawn lead his team to a state championship. I'm hoping Spencer does the same for us this year.

Shaun Bohannon was the best athlete on this list, but might have had the least heart and leadership. Also, for his size ran with little power. You put Summers or Gulmires desire, heart, and leadership in that body, and we would be seeing him on Sundays.

Corey Booker was a great player, but again was not a leader. He also broke many long runs, but was often shut down in Oak Ridge's bigger games.

Eric Menefee was very good. Played on a team that was loaded and may have had a State Championship, if not for an injury at Jefferson County.

Shawn Williams is the most underrated. Huge heart. Would play his guts out for you. Also could have been an all-state defensive player if given the chance. There have been few if any as quick as Shawn off the ball.

What separates Gulmire and Summers from everyone else is simple: heart and leadership. If you had to have one yard late in the game, these two guys get the nod. Their equally humble nature means that when either actually speaks, their teammates take notice. Which one would I take? I couldn't make that call. Would rather have both and make Shawn an option quarterback (check the stats from 1990 Anderson County game) with Spencer toting the rock. You would also have two great linebackers for defense.

Finally, Shawn and Spencer both care about nothing more than winning. Not stats, awards or all the other hype, just the wins. That's why they play(ed) the game the way it should be (unlike Brandon Warren - for you OR nole)!

Edited by rabidwildcatfan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What separates Gulmire and Summers from everyone else is simple: heart and leadership. If you had to have one yard late in the game, these two guys get the nod. There equally humble nature means that when either actually speaks, their teammates take notice. Which one would I take? I couldn't make that call. Would rather have both and make Shawn an option quarterback (check the stats from 1990 Anderson County game) with Spencer toting the rock. You would also have two great linebackers for defense.

Finally, Shawn and Spencer both care about nothing more than winning. Not stats, awards or all the other hype, just the wins. That's why they play(ed) the game the way it should be (unlike Brandon Warren - for you OR nole)!

I COULDNT SAY IT BETTER BLOCKING FOR SPENCER FOR 2 YEARS WAS AN HONOR. GOOD LUCK SPENCER AND HE GETS MY VOTE FOR BEST OAK RIDGE RUNNING BACK......

I have seen some of the DB fans topics on here about their best players at certain positions so i figured i would get on here and ask my fellow OR wildcat brethren who they thought was the best running back to ever grace Blankenship Field.

Any body remember Stan Fritts? He had average career at ORHS as he didn't start till his senior year. But he had best pro career of all ORHS running backs.