DII-AAA Predictions for next year

BAeaglefan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard talk that BA may move down to DII-AA after this year. We will no longer stand for not winning second place trophies. We are going back to what won us so many state championships in previous years...playing in a lower classification.

Because of this proposed change, I may hang on to my screen name for one more year.

It's a legitimate question.

I'd look for another balanced year. No great teams, but no slouches either. Having to force rank, I'd go as follows:

1) MUS - The champ until beaten

2) McCallie - Best returning QB in the league

3) BA - Virtually everybody back from this year

4) MBA - Lots of holes to fill again

5) CBHS - Losing Harris is a big deal

6) Baylor - Probably only a tick below the others

7) Ryan - One step up next year

8) Briarcrest - Don't see them improving much

I would not be shocked to see any of the top six win it.

Those BA fans don't waste any time starting the "wait until next year" chant, do they?

For what it's worth, McCallie has their offensive weapons back next year and should be very good.

Actually, BA fans only have 7 days to wait, where as McCallie has..................

The preseason chalk on paper should be Brentwood Academy - the best set of skill players, and they may have found a QB late this season.

I think MUS was way underrated coming into this season (easy to say now), given the linemen and defenders they had back. With that said, I think they will be slotted high in preseason 2006 based on the back-to-back titles, and then I think that may be overrating them. Don't get me wrong, I think they will be good, and Park was great this year and will be again next year, but MUS's losses on the O-line and on defense are significant.

MBA has some significant losses on defense, but for a change, I think MBA's strength will be on offense in 2006. Losing Andy Snyder hurts, but MBA should have a good O-line and a set of receivers with a lot of PT this past year (unlike the last two years, with basically green WRs each year). The defense does need some retooling.

McCallie will be good again. BJ Coleman is tough to defend, running or passing. Baylor will be interesting to watch with a new coach. If Kevin Cooper is back (I think he is), he will be one of the best RBs in the league.

CBHS - as previously said, the loss of Henry Harris hurts (as well as Mosby and some others).

Not sure about Briarcrest and Ryan. Briarcrest had a tough initiation to DII-AAA, but they were competitive for a stretch in all of their DII games. Ryan is definitely improving as well, but the jury is still out on the Irish. As I have said before, a better FRHS is good for the league.

As a side note, check out this thread. No matter what the teams in the league have done for an extended period, people still fail to give credit where due. Expect more of the same next year.

As a side note, check out this thread. No matter what the teams in the league have done for an extended period, people still fail to give credit where due. Expect more of the same next year.

I appreciate your efforts on that thread, but it's just not worth it. It's like someone basically sitting across from you and telling you the sky is green and the grass is blue. No amount of factual argument will ever convince them otherwise.

itzme said it best earlier this year: they will never play us, because the second they do and lose, they will lose the illusion they have that "the best football is played in D1 and D2 is just a joke league." if they lost consistently, year after year, it would cement the argument. It's just a risk that the Rankins of the world won't take; they are much more comfortable with the arrangement as it is now. They will just continue to attempt to marginalize our league, pretend it doesn't exist, etc.

Do you remember a few years ago when the Nashville City Paper (whose investors are basically a bunch of MBA guys, former players no less) put forth an editorial that proposed a "winner take all" championship, sponsored by the city paper, with all proceeds going to charity? It was after MBA won DII-3A and Riverdale won DI-5A. Riverdale couldn't have run away from that idea fast enough. They wouldn't even return calls. They basically just ignored it altogether. When I talked to the guys behind it, I said they should keep doing that every year. Or at least propose a town-hall type meeting to discuss how something like that could be done. But the truth is they want nothing to do with us....

brbb, I agree the arguments are futile, but sometimes it can be rather entertaining to see hard data (and compelling data at that) flat out ignored.

I remember the NCP proposal (to be fair to Riverdale, the year was 2002, and Brentwood High won 5A that year, but the general sentiment from DI was either "it's a bad idea" or "why not the 4A champ [Maryville] vs. DII-AAA?"). What is sad is that every year, the I-5A champ vs. the II-AAA champ would be a heckuva game, and some charity would benefit well. Granted, TSSAA regs prevent such a game, but I don't think our governing body had Tennessee high school football's best interests in mind anyway with the DI-DII split they enacted.

brbb, I agree the arguments are futile, but sometimes it can be rather entertaining to see hard data (and compelling data at that) flat out ignored.

I remember the NCP proposal (to be fair to Riverdale, the year was 2002, and Brentwood High won 5A that year, but the general sentiment from DI was either "it's a bad idea" or "why not the 4A champ [Maryville] vs. DII-AAA?"). What is sad is that every year, the I-5A champ vs. the II-AAA champ would be a heckuva game, and some charity would benefit well. Granted, TSSAA regs prevent such a game, but I don't think our governing body had Tennessee high school football's best interests in mind anyway with the DI-DII split they enacted.

I stand corrected there. Thought it was Riverdale. Even more than just raising a lot of $$, it would a marquee event for HS football in the state. I can't imagine the types of crowds it would draw, especially if it were played in mid-December, after the college football season was over. It wouldn't even have to be for a "state title." Each side could claim its own respective state title, and then compete for a Clinic Bowl type trophy or something. It wouldn't dimish what they had already accomplished. Our product right now is really watered down and really pales in comparison with what most other states have. Something like that could really change that. I won't hold my breath.

Even more than just raising a lot of $$, it would a marquee event for HS football in the state. I can't imagine the types of crowds it would draw, especially if it were played in mid-December, after the college football season was over. It wouldn't even have to be for a "state title." Each side could claim its own respective state title, and then compete for a Clinic Bowl type trophy or something. It wouldn't dimish what they had already accomplished. Our product right now is really watered down and really pales in comparison with what most other states have. Something like that could really change that. I won't hold my breath.

I’d love such a game.

Different era, but Valdosta (GA) – the nation’s all time high school football wins leader – did something similar in the early 1950s, playing in a bowl game called the Peanut Bowl, after winning Georgia state championships in 1952 and 1953. They invited an out-of-state team to play in an end-of-the-year bowl game. One year, the opponent was a team from Massachusetts.

The other year, it was MBA (surprising decision to play in that bowl game – you know, for a program that’s always been afraid to play tough competition :lol: ).

I remember the NCP proposal (to be fair to Riverdale, the year was 2002, and Brentwood High won 5A that year...

And of course we all remember that Brentwood had already played a DIIAAA team that season. :lol:

Of course, Brentwood improved dramatically over the year and would have whipped BA is a rematch, because BA didn't improve at all, despite having 7 sophomore starters that year. :lol: