5A Mr. Football

TankTalk

I was researching the Mr. Football award, especially in 5A football and I was simply amazed. Has anyone ever seen the "select" list of media members who gets to make the final call on this?

I am not taking anything away from winners, but you would think they would spread it out some to players in the east and west, just to make themselves look better and not so biased to middle Tennessee.

After looking at the numbers, I want to congratulate Gaston Miller on the Mr. Football award, becoming the sixth Riverdale player since 1993 to take home the award. He is very deserving and is a great representative of the award.

To the other two finalist, who will be playing for a state championship, you had a pretty good season as well. B)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank was right, Gaston Miller won the 5A Mr. Football (or back of the year).

I just can't imagine what else Spencer would have had to done, to win this award, other than play in Middle Tennessee that is, anyway a State Title would make up for this oversight.

Edited by catback

Well if you look at the winners, only 1 from East TN!!! I know how my vote went and they were ALL for East Tennessee players, so I assume all the media in Middle and West vote for their own also. So once the finalists are determined, why not have another vote with the media? I'm just MIFFED that Spencer didn't win, what a deserving kid! He's not only an awesome football player, but an overall GREAT guy!

Congrats on getting to the Championship game to him!!! And I guess congrats to Mr. Miller on getting the award!!!

The GULMIRE SHOW IS STILL OPEN!!!!

Go Cats!

Brad

The initial vote is just for the three finalist. The FINAL decision is not from that pool, according to what I have been told. Some super, secret panel of people make the final decision on the three finalist.

The Mr. Football Award to me, is a joke now. It has been and always will be. Hats off to those that win, I am sure they are all deserving.

I want to make clear, this is no way a knock on the kids that take this award home, it is a huge honor. But I have been going to "dog and pony" shoes by the TSSAA for 17 years and it sickens me to hear the big wigs talk to large crowds.

I would act sincere as well, if I was making a six-digit income off the sweat of kids who had to wash cars to buy uniforms.

Edited by TankTalk