Prep X tra Basketball preview

redandblack63

As a Middle Tennessee outsider and a journalist, let me offer a thought on the subject.

I have no idea about the coverage or lack of it that you have been discussing, but there is also a significant difference in high football and basketball--the sheer number of teams (and games) involved in basketball. There are over twice as many basketball teams as football teams. That alone cuts down on the space that can be allotted to specific teams to a degree. In addition to both boys and girls participating in basketball, there are some schools in rural areas that don't play football--just basketball and softball or baseball.

In my small county, there is only one high school football team, but four basketball teams. It makes a difference in how much coverage can be devoted.

The number of pages in any given newspaper (smaller ones for sure) is also based on the amount of advertising sold for that edition--at least in most instances. It's easy to forget that newspapers are not just new-reporting outlets--they're also businesses. If there aren't enough papers and advertising being sold, there won't be any coverage, period.

That being said, I'm not trying to take sides on the issue, just making an observation. We all want the best coverage possible for our teams, but it is easier said than done. I've been on both sides of the issue as a parent and as a writer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it the media's job to help support teams?

I said if people had better information they may get out and support the teams. Many times folks aren't aware that tournaments are going on becuase schedules and information aren't in the daily News.

Although I don't think it is the medias responsibility to support the teams. I do feel in part they are reponsible for promoting the teams/sports.

Now if the coaches aren't giving them info they are not at fault. But if they get the info and don't print it or get it wrong that is the Newspapers fault. This is happening on a consistent basis.

As far as advertising $. Maybe if the Paper had quality information in it and was worth 50 cents advertisers may be motivated to spend more money.

Prep xtra had some good stuff today Good article about Fulton but no mention of the Holday tournament this weekend. AE Clinton game tonight could be interesting and Powell Fulton game on Saturday should be a good one.

Some of the soccer statistics for the All Prep x tra soccer team are not accurate.

Good to see the lady Vols Volleyball team get a headline. Unfortunatly they lost.

Several KIL teams didn't report stats. Halls and Central girls. Bearden, Central, Carter boys. Come on Coaches get with the program Whats up with Centrals boys? They seldom report. <_<