Chattanooga Christian

vols2422

CCS Downs Grace On Nielson Lay-up At Buzzer

posted February 18, 2005

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_62820.asp

Although CCS underachieved last year and Grace got the better of them, they did beat Grace.

Coach Salter has proven he can win games.

Grace will be very good this year. Pressure is on.

Ouch. Was anyone saying that CCS couldn't win games? I know I wasn't. The only time I ever beat them was on JV. CCS turns out some of the best basketball players in the state, year in year out. Example, the CCS class of 2004. Jon Cook, Dan Neilson, Drew Courtney. On that team was also Mitch and Kyle Groothius, and some other turds whose names I have forgotten. Bottom line is, CPA and CCS had more talent than any other team in Single A that year, no doubt in my mind. The team that won state with Jason Holwerda, Martin Trimew, Jon Cook, Ben Wharton, and Jesse Pettit was also an awesome team. My only question about these two teams is, why have they only won one state championship? They've won more than I have, but it seems like talent comes in, plays hard, but does not develop. Player development is the problem of coaching.

Once again though, kudos to CCS and BOYD for scheduling Grace. Tuck that tail between your legs!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your really stuck on CCS and Boyd Scheduling Grace. Why didnt Grace schedule them? I know that all of these schools were good rivals in basketball but being moved up in classification might have something to do with it just like football when Boyd and South Pitt. didnt play this year. Another thing you might want to look at is the number of teams in the region they play in. If its right on the team home page there is a ton of teams in Boyds region. But i have no idea never really followed basketball.

Your really stuck on CCS and Boyd Scheduling Grace. Why didnt Grace schedule them? I know that all of these schools were good rivals in basketball but being moved up in classification might have something to do with it just like football when Boyd and South Pitt. didnt play this year. Another thing you might want to look at is the number of teams in the region they play in. If its right on the team home page there is a ton of teams in Boyds region. But i have no idea never really followed basketball.

so out even after Boyd plays the "ton" of teams in their region, you are saying that they don't play any non-region games? bottom line is i don't remember the last time that boyd beat grace and i don't think that this year would be anydifferent. i just remmeber last year when Carter Threw down against them...... it was sweet.

I don't really care for basketball much anyways so i don't really know what the deal was. Only reason i ever went to the games were to yell at people and cause trouble. :lol: Only team i really keep up with now is Mcminn central because of my cousin. Long time since ive seen you on here GGE how ya been?

Edited by reaction

Here is the scoop on Boyd and their scheduling. Their district has 9 teams in 5AA. TSSAA only allows 11 home and home series. The rest of the games come from Tournaments or Classics which you are allowed 2. You can play as many games in those classics as you want but they count as 2 dates. With 9 teams in the district, 8 of the 11 home and home series are booked, leaving 3 to schedule. The three that Boyd scheduled are Hixson, Temple, and Gordon Lee. All three of these teams won their district tournaments last year (they call it region in GA). Why did they schedule these three and not Grace? Coach Eller at Hixson is best friends with Coach Brown and the two of them want to play yearly. Gordon Lee and Boyd have developed a rivalry as good as Boyd - Grace. Not only have they built a rivalry in basketball but football as well. It becomes a good money game as evidenced by the packed house at Boyd on opening night. The Temple game is THE money game for Boyd. The Temple and Boyd crowd last year at BBS was incredible. They had to sit people and the pep band on the stage. Packed out. You can't criticize Boyd for not playing Grace. You can't say anything about their strength of schedule. They play in a tough AA district and went out and scheduled 3 teams who will once again compete for their leagues title. As far as Grace trying to schedule Boyd, the Grace coaches contacted Boyd's coach only after the 11 home and home series were filled on Boyd's schedule. Good luck to all. Find out the scoop before starting to talk trash about things you know nothing about! Now, back to the CCS thread....

There is no way Gordan Lee vs Boyd is a better rivalry the Grace vs Boyd. And Grace Boyd would be a better money maker than Gordan Lee Boyd. Grace and Boyd are much closer and fans dont have to travel as near as far.

But Boyd did move into a huge district with alot of tough teams and maybe they didnt want to play Grace. . . I dont look down on them for that but it would have been nice to continue the rivalry.

There is no way Gordan Lee vs Boyd is a better rivalry the Grace vs Boyd. And Grace Boyd would be a better money maker than Gordan Lee Boyd. Grace and Boyd are much closer and fans dont have to travel as near as far.

But Boyd did move into a huge district with alot of tough teams and maybe they didnt want to play Grace. . . I dont look down on them for that but it would have been nice to continue the rivalry.

Nice post.

Go Back and look at my first post. I NEVER said that Gordon Lee was a BETTER rivalry. I said is has become "as good as." GL and Boyd opened the season on a Monday night this year and the crowd was "as good as" Grace and Boyd at BBS last year. The game was great. The two student sections were AWESOME, just like Grace and BBS. When two schools build a football rivalry it carries over to the student body. The student body at BBS loves playing Gordon Lee because of football, their student section, and other reasons as well. Grace and Boyd is a great rivalry. One thing that added to the rivalry was the fact that it was a district game and that is no longer the case.

Congrats to Grace on a GREAT start to the season. I have to say they have a real chance to win championships. Congrats to Boyd for claiming their first 5AA win the other night versus Tellico Plains. Boyd is off to a good start with a killer schedule.

Good luck to both teams!