Ricky Ladd White House Mr Football 2005 3A

titans89

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Ricky...... You along with the team survived the early season adversity and went on to have a tremendous year.......

I'll tell everyone why #4 was so deserving........ EVERYBODY we played knew what we were going to do....but he still had 1600+ yards rushing, several receiving and in punt and kickoff returns.... All this while being injured early in the year......

Plus, don't forget he was a finalist LAST YEAR in 4a.......So don't downplay his accomplishments......He is one of the best, period.

There were several players deserving and if someone else would have won I'd be happy for them...... The Cates player from Livingston obviously had a good year but I don't believe he was nominated and that is a shame but it happens.....Hopefully Livingston will get that gold ball....... Because I believe Ricky would trade the award for the opportunity to play this week.....

So good luck to the teams left..... And thanks WH for the great year..... :thumb:

The White House website has been updated with full season stats, a Mr. Football recap and photos, and Notre Dame recap and stats. Sorry I have been delayed in updating.

http://www.whitehousehigh.com/football

Here is the official story from the school site on Ricky Ladd winning Mr. Football. I wrote it, so I guess I have permission to copy it here :thumb:.

--------------------

By Kris Freeman

White House Football

Though White House’s Ricky Ladd set an ultimate goal of winning a state championship ring, he and his graduating classmates can take consolation in a very nice trophy.

Monday at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, Ladd was named as the first Mr. Football winner in White House High School history, capturing the award in Class 3-A for Back. He is the sixth individual finalist from White House, but was the only one to be named twice – after failing to win in 2004 in Class 4-A.

But when Cade Thompson of Maryville took home the 2004 trophy, he left behind two underclassmen finalists – and this year, Melrose’s Graig Cooper joined Ladd with the ultimate award. Melrose and White House, this year, were not in the same classification, after the Blue Devils dropped to Class 3-A.

Ladd beat out Dennis Rogan of Knoxville Fulton and LaRay Foote of Memphis Mitchell in 2005.

“I was excited, nervous, my heart was just pounding…but I’d trade it all in for a ring,” said a smiling Ladd, with friends and family looking on, surrounded by television and newspaper media. “But this is a very nice honor and I thank my teammates. It’s pretty neat to be 0-3 and turn things around.

“It was great to see Graig (Cooper) win,” Ladd continued. “We had talked by phone and stayed in touch, and I knew he’d get it and he told me I would.”

Ladd joins James Taylor (1990), Wes Langford (1995), Jonathan Finch and Kevin Harris (1997) and Brian Jones (1998) as finalists, but is the first to win the coveted trophy. In all, 15 winners were named across seven classifications for back, lineman and kicker (universal class).

“This is a tremendous honor for this young man, and for our school, our program, student body and our community,” said White House head coach Jeff Porter, who attended the event at the Presidential Ballroom with his wife, members of Ricky’s family, and several White House administrators, assistant coaches and support staff. “Last year, Ricky was primarily an offensive player and this year he had to play in all phases of the game and really became a complete player.”

Ladd helped lead the White House Blue Devils to a quarterfinal berth, losing by one point to Chattanooga Notre Dame, to finish 7-6. He rushed for 1,772 yards and 23 touchdowns in his senior season, and broke career school records for rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, points scored and overall touchdowns. As a finalist in Class 4-A in 2004, he rushed for 1,985 yards and 24 touchdowns and White House rolled undefeated into Melrose for the semifinals, before losing 20-14 and finishing 13-1.

Seventeen seniors graduated from that team, and this year’s squad struggled early before righting the ship and ending the season by winning seven of its last 10 contests. Ladd went from a sole offensive player, to a full-squad contributor this season on offense, defense and special teams.

“Last year was like playing for the ‘White House All-Stars,’” said Ladd, referring to the senior-laden offense in 2004 which lost four starting linemen, six receivers and tight ends, and one of the top quarterbacks in school history. “But I am really proud of my teammates this year and this is very special today.”

Ladd ends his career at White House, playing two and a half seasons with a senior class who made four playoff appearances, won a Region 6-4A championship, and advanced to the Class 4-A semifinals in 2004 and the Class 3-A quarterfinals in 2005. The Blue Devil seniors this year have a career varsity record of 36-13 and 5-4 in the postseason.

Ladd holds school records for rushing with 4,430 yards, 54 rushing touchdowns, 59 overall touchdowns and 366 career points. He rushed the ball 624 times for an average of 7.1 yards per carry, caught 25 passes for 419 yards and three scores, returned four punts for 55 yards and a touchdown, returned 30 kicks for 729 yards and a score, and returned three interceptions for 21 yards. In all, he finished with 5,564 all-purpose yards, and made 96 tackles and defended 14 passes on defense.

Five honorees from the Midstate were named Mr. Football on Monday, including backs Gaston Miller of Riverdale (5-A) and Golden Tate of Pope John Paul II (II-A/AA). Linemen Adam Smotherman of Smyrna (5-A) and Ricky Lumpkin of Kenwood (4-A) were also honored.

All three major regions of the state had five winners in the American General Mr. Football awards, which were carried on live radio across the state on the Tennessee Sports Radio Network.

The White House website has been updated with full season stats, a Mr. Football recap and photos, and Notre Dame recap and stats. Sorry I have been delayed in updating.

http://www.whitehousehigh.com/football

Here is the official story from the school site on Ricky Ladd winning Mr. Football. I wrote it, so I guess I have permission to copy it here :huh:.

--------------------

By Kris Freeman

White House Football

Though White House’s Ricky Ladd set an ultimate goal of winning a state championship ring, he and his graduating classmates can take consolation in a very nice trophy.

Monday at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, Ladd was named as the first Mr. Football winner in White House High School history, capturing the award in Class 3-A for Back. He is the sixth individual finalist from White House, but was the only one to be named twice – after failing to win in 2004 in Class 4-A.

But when Cade Thompson of Maryville took home the 2004 trophy, he left behind two underclassmen finalists – and this year, Melrose’s Graig Cooper joined Ladd with the ultimate award. Melrose and White House, this year, were not in the same classification, after the Blue Devils dropped to Class 3-A.

Ladd beat out Dennis Rogan of Knoxville Fulton and LaRay Foote of Memphis Mitchell in 2005.

“I was excited, nervous, my heart was just pounding…but I’d trade it all in for a ring,” said a smiling Ladd, with friends and family looking on, surrounded by television and newspaper media. “But this is a very nice honor and I thank my teammates. It’s pretty neat to be 0-3 and turn things around.

“It was great to see Graig (Cooper) win,” Ladd continued. “We had talked by phone and stayed in touch, and I knew he’d get it and he told me I would.”

Ladd joins James Taylor (1990), Wes Langford (1995), Jonathan Finch and Kevin Harris (1997) and Brian Jones (1998) as finalists, but is the first to win the coveted trophy. In all, 15 winners were named across seven classifications for back, lineman and kicker (universal class).

“This is a tremendous honor for this young man, and for our school, our program, student body and our community,” said White House head coach Jeff Porter, who attended the event at the Presidential Ballroom with his wife, members of Ricky’s family, and several White House administrators, assistant coaches and support staff. “Last year, Ricky was primarily an offensive player and this year he had to play in all phases of the game and really became a complete player.”

Ladd helped lead the White House Blue Devils to a quarterfinal berth, losing by one point to Chattanooga Notre Dame, to finish 7-6. He rushed for 1,772 yards and 23 touchdowns in his senior season, and broke career school records for rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, points scored and overall touchdowns. As a finalist in Class 4-A in 2004, he rushed for 1,985 yards and 24 touchdowns and White House rolled undefeated into Melrose for the semifinals, before losing 20-14 and finishing 13-1.

Seventeen seniors graduated from that team, and this year’s squad struggled early before righting the ship and ending the season by winning seven of its last 10 contests. Ladd went from a sole offensive player, to a full-squad contributor this season on offense, defense and special teams.

“Last year was like playing for the ‘White House All-Stars,’” said Ladd, referring to the senior-laden offense in 2004 which lost four starting linemen, six receivers and tight ends, and one of the top quarterbacks in school history. “But I am really proud of my teammates this year and this is very special today.”

Ladd ends his career at White House, playing two and a half seasons with a senior class who made four playoff appearances, won a Region 6-4A championship, and advanced to the Class 4-A semifinals in 2004 and the Class 3-A quarterfinals in 2005. The Blue Devil seniors this year have a career varsity record of 36-13 and 5-4 in the postseason.

Ladd holds school records for rushing with 4,430 yards, 54 rushing touchdowns, 59 overall touchdowns and 366 career points. He rushed the ball 624 times for an average of 7.1 yards per carry, caught 25 passes for 419 yards and three scores, returned four punts for 55 yards and a touchdown, returned 30 kicks for 729 yards and a score, and returned three interceptions for 21 yards. In all, he finished with 5,564 all-purpose yards, and made 96 tackles and defended 14 passes on defense.

Five honorees from the Midstate were named Mr. Football on Monday, including backs Gaston Miller of Riverdale (5-A) and Golden Tate of Pope John Paul II (II-A/AA). Linemen Adam Smotherman of Smyrna (5-A) and Ricky Lumpkin of Kenwood (4-A) were also honored.

All three major regions of the state had five winners in the American General Mr. Football awards, which were carried on live radio across the state on the Tennessee Sports Radio Network.

Great write up BDP Web :thumb:

Congrats to Ladd. Way to keep those Mr. Football trophies on top of the ridge! :D

Well, Vandyman, considering some "new" mother to the White House area sent a Letter to the Editor in today's Browser Connection wanting to change the Blue Devil mascot, now's the time to work on the Ricky Ladd mascot logo... :huh: We know ya'll are already working on that shrine.

(As for the mother's suggestion to take the BD away, it's okay by me...BUUTT...waving signs that say "GO P"??? :)B):thumb:

I'd PAY to see that....BUUTTT Austin Peay's already taken that one)...

Edited by GreenbrierCat2

Congrats to Ladd. Way to keep those Mr. Football trophies on top of the ridge! :wub:

Well, Vandyman, considering some "new" mother to the White House area sent a Letter to the Editor in today's Browser Connection wanting to change the Blue Devil mascot, now's the time to work on the Ricky Ladd mascot logo... :thumb: We know ya'll are already working on that shrine.

(As for the mother's suggestion to take the BD away, it's okay by me...BUUTT...waving signs that say "GO P"??? :D;):D

I'd PAY to see that....BUUTTT Austin Peay's already taken that one)...

Hey Cat- I havent' read that or heard about it. Is she a plant? A "Mother Plant"? What is the deal? Some things are best left alone. Guess, I had better go get me a browser.

That Blue Devil is tradition.

There would be a stirring in the community if that took place. I do remember a time that a mother complained about a Blue Devil being on the cafeteria wall and they painted over it. Guess to apease- Don't like the mascot then go somewhere else that is what I always say- Just like the things on Coach T. Folks just crack me up. Just opinions- If you cant' stand reading the stuff... the computer has an off switch- right?

I also say that about the evening news ,too.

As for the Ricky mascot- I know you are just kidding in your remark. We would be just as happy, or most of us ,if A Greenbrier kido got it.

That is an accomplishment for any kid. Ricky had to work really hard this year for that. No passing game makes for RUN RUN RUN! His line got better and hey he had the opportunity to make some great plays.

"Go P" now that is a hoot- Do you think the WH community would really go for that? I think we might have gotten another topic started. Need a new thread for that - Have a good one CAT

Hey Cat- I havent' read that or heard about it. Is she a plant? A "Mother Plant"? What is the deal? Some things are best left alone. Guess, I had better go get me a browser.

That Blue Devil is tradition.

There would be a stirring in the community if that took place. I do remember a time that a mother complained about a Blue Devil being on the cafeteria wall and they painted over it. Guess to apease- Don't like the mascot then go somewhere else that is what I always say- Just like the things on Coach T. Folks just crack me up. Just opinions- If you cant' stand reading the stuff... the computer has an off switch- right?

I also say that about the evening news ,too.

As for the Ricky mascot- I know you are just kidding in your remark. We would be just as happy, or most of us ,if A Greenbrier kido got it.

That is an accomplishment for any kid. Ricky had to work really hard this year for that. No passing game makes for RUN RUN RUN! His line got better and hey he had the opportunity to make some great plays.

"Go P" now that is a hoot- Do you think the WH community would really go for that? I think we might have gotten another topic started. Need a new thread for that - Have a good one CAT

Yeah, Vandy, just kidding..Ricky definitely gave many teams fits this year. I think it's pretty cool that Greenbrier got to play two Mr. Football's this year. I'd like to see the two (Tate and Ladd) in a footrace. :D

I don't think that new WH mother has a clue the can of worms she just opened up. I can't wait to see the bombardment of reply letters. She might has well have asked to change the colors on the American flag. :wub:

A happy Holiday Season to you too, Vandy... :thumb: