running up the score?

cofo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up by 36 points with 3 minutes left in the game and Trousdale throwing to get another td? Seems kinda tacky to me.

Lost respect for T-Dale coach and program tonight.

Question: If you are a lot better than someone else, shouldn't you win by more than if the teams are evenly matched? At what point should you stop playing your best? What is an acceptable margin of victory?

If your point held any validity, then the rules would stipulate that the ref's stop the game - like in boxing.

Get over it. It's a game.

Play to win.

I am sure if Union City had marched their second string out with when the score was 45-9 with 7:13 to go Trousdale would have done the same. Instead Union City with 7:13 ran the following plays:

White, Jared kickoff 43 yards to the UCHS17, Speed, Colton return 22

yards to the UCHS39 (Dunn, Sammy).

U 1-10 U39 UNION CITY drive start at 07:13 (4th).

U 1-10 U39 Coleman, Nate rush for 15 yards to the TCHS46, 1ST DOWN UCHS (Dunn,

Derek;Dunn, Sammy).

U 1-10 T46 Bracey, D. rush for 8 yards to the TCHS38 (Harper, Nelson;Welch, Cal).

U 2-2 T38 Sherwood, Tyler pass incomplete to Mosley, Tony.

U 3-2 T38 Sherwood, Tyler pass incomplete to Mosley, Tony.

U 4-2 T38 Timeout Trousdale, clock 05:40.

U 4-2 T38 Coleman, Nate rush for loss of 5 yards to the TCHS43 (Dillehay, Dusti).

Doesn't really sound like U.C. had conceded defeat. With 2:43 left they still have not pulled their starters.

White, Jared kickoff 31 yards to the UCHS29, Wardlow, Chris return 0

yards to the UCHS29.

U 1-10 U29 UNION CITY drive start at 02:49 (4th).

U 1-10 U29 Ingram, Mario rush for 17 yards to the UCHS46, 1ST DOWN UCHS (Porter,

Zach).

U 1-10 U46 Ingram, Mario rush for 9 yards to the TCHS45 (Dillehay, Dusti).

U 2-1 T45 Ingram, Mario rush for 23 yards to the TCHS22, 1ST DOWN UCHS

(Cunningham, Jos).

U 1-10 T22 PENALTY TCHS offside 5 yards to the TCHS17.

U 1-5 T17 Sherwood, Tyler pass complete to Gregg, Bradley for 17 yards to the TCHS0,

1ST DOWN UCHS, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:56.

Graham, John kick attempt good.

I believe it is the loser that should concede defeat and pulls their starters. Then one should question the class of the winner if they leave their starters in. I do not blame Union City for keeping their starters in and giving them playing time, they have around 22-23 seniors who will never play high school football again. This is just my opinion it is not necessarily right.

As for the Red Boiling Springs game, this is why there should be a mercy rule in TN similar to other states. Check out Trousdales roster. How many players do they have? I think it is 26-27. A coaches depth chart is only so deep with those types of numbers.

A mercy rule would make things easy for a coach score till you hit the mercy rule, then yank your starters while the clock runs without stopping and the JV plays.

Guest catfish-hunter

If you don't like what teams do then please have enough pride about yourselves to stop them from doing it. Trousdale won and UC lost. WHY??? The Yellow Jackets were the much better team between the lines on Friday evening.

As for the Red Boiling Springs game, this is why there should be a mercy rule in TN similar to other states. Check out Trousdales roster. How many players do they have? I think it is 26-27. A coaches depth chart is only so deep with those types of numbers.

A mercy rule would make things easy for a coach score till you hit the mercy rule, then yank your starters while the clock runs without stopping and the JV plays.

In Trousdale County's defense, that is a good point - there's only so much subbing one could do with a limited roster.

Still, in the spirit of good sportsmanship, sometimes enough is enough. There are plenty of examples where teams have called off the dogs, in close games (such as Nevada's upset of Fresno State last week, where Nevada, up 3 with a few seconds to play, had a RB on a breakaway TD run, but the RB kneeled on the 1) and not so close games (such as the infamous Georgia Tech-Cumberland game 89 years ago, which GT won 222-0 and had players taking knees on apparent TD runs). Trousdale County has plenty of good players (and I think it's amazing how much mileage they get out of their limited roster) - their chances will come again in the future.

Edited by rollredroll

Question: If you are a lot better than someone else, shouldn't you win by more than if the teams are evenly matched? At what point should you stop playing your best? What is an acceptable margin of victory?

If your point held any validity, then the rules would stipulate that the ref's stop the game - like in boxing.

Get over it. It's a game.

Play to win.

It is the defenses job to stop the offense no matter what the time remaining. I disagree with keeping starters in the whole time and not allowing backups who have worked hard all year the opportunity to play in the biggest game of the year. Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to give these younger kids some very valuable and needed experience. You are going to have to count on the younger kids in the near future. Anyway a TC has an excellent team.

I watched the A Championship game as an objective observer...

In my opinion...it WASN'T the fact that Trousdale scored another touchdown...but throwing fairly deep over the middle with 3 minutes to play when you're already 4-5 touchdowns ahead is something "you just don't do."

Hand the ball off between the tackles and play as hard as you can...but don't throw over the top...that was tacky in my opinion...

Satterfield obviously is a good coach with a proven record of success...but he should know better.

However, congrats to the TC players...you guys are clearly the Champs of Class A.

I watched the A Championship game as an objective observer...

In my opinion...it WASN'T the fact that Trousdale scored another touchdown...but throwing fairly deep over the middle with 3 minutes to play when you're already 4-5 touchdowns ahead is something "you just don't do."

Hand the ball off between the tackles and play as hard as you can...but don't throw over the top...that was tacky in my opinion...

Satterfield obviously is a good coach with a proven record of success...but he should know better.

However, congrats to the TC players...you guys are clearly the Champs of Class A.

I agree and thogught the same thing. I believe they could have scored again regardless. I just do not understand why you leave the QB, RB and entire O on the field with a 4 T.D lead. You risk iinjury and you short backups who are playing for the same team and by the same rules with no reward. Get the young kids experience in the big game.