Sportmanship or the lack their of

captwillie

ok, yes the kid should've gotten a technical which he did by the way but the slashing of the throat is not a threatning sign of killing or hurting someone, it is a simple jesture of letting the crowd know that the game is over or the game isn't anything (as in a piece of cake). I think that everyone in the gym know that the game was over, so i don't think that any player would have been snatched out of the game by neither the refs or coach. I aslo don't think there is a reason to be name calling either (most classless) i don't even think thats a word. From what i heard SPRINGFIELD's team only has 10 players and he rotates them in 5 at a time every 2min and the starters didn't finish the game either.I don't think that had anything to do with class it just seems like catsball1 is upset because SPRINGFIELD bea their county rival springfield by 30, TILL NEXT TIME :thumb:

It doesn't matter what the gesture means or that the game is over, it's still illegal. I don't think saying a team is classless is namecalling (and if most classless isn't a word, I guess the word would be classlessest... :thumb: , so you tell me, which one is it) And if you wanna get technical with everything, I don't think Springfield can beat themselves :lol: Of course I'm gonna be upset with losing to any team but especially a county rival. It would be pretty pointless to play sports if I didn't care about winning and losing. Any good player and competitor is gonna be disappointed when he loses. I just disagree with the way SF handled it. They do have two teams of 5, but there is still a difference in the first 5 and the second 5, and in the fourth quarter, SF should've had their second 5 in. I'm not saying we would have come back to win if they had their second 5 in the whole fourth quarter, but it's a sign of respect to put in the second string when you're winning by alot, especially when the other team already has their second string in and you know their not gonna come back. Plus, they were still pressing full court, but I guess you think that's okay too. The only other thing I have to say, is this game will definitely be different when they play at Greenbrier.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what the gesture means or that the game is over, it's still illegal. I don't think saying a team is classless is namecalling (and if most classless isn't a word, I guess the word would be classlessest... :rolleyes: , so you tell me, which one is it) And if you wanna get technical with everything, I don't think Springfield can beat themselves B) Of course I'm gonna be upset with losing to any team but especially a county rival. It would be pretty pointless to play sports if I didn't care about winning and losing. Any good player and competitor is gonna be disappointed when he loses. I just disagree with the way SF handled it. They do have two teams of 5, but there is still a difference in the first 5 and the second 5, and in the fourth quarter, SF should've had their second 5 in. I'm not saying we would have come back to win if they had their second 5 in the whole fourth quarter, but it's a sign of respect to put in the second string when you're winning by alot, especially when the other team already has their second string in and you know their not gonna come back. Plus, they were still pressing full court, but I guess you think that's okay too. The only other thing I have to say, is this game will definitely be different when they play at Greenbrier.

ok, well i'm sure there is no hard feelings after that game B) and i really dont think that there is a big difference between the first 5 and the second 5 and like i said before springfield did have their second 5 in at the end of ther game so... thats that AND yes i pretty sure the game will be different at greenbriar because its the last game on SF's list. :huh: WE ALL HAVE OUR OPINIONS AND FEELINGS ABOUT THINGS BECAUSE WE ALL TAKE PRIDE IN WHAT WE DO, NOTHIN PERSONAL :thumb:

I understand there's nothin personal, and I don't have anything personal with you or with SF's players, it's just their coaches and the refs that I'm not too happy with. Like I said, they also kept pressing until the final buzzer of the game which could have been stopped early in the fourth. I do agree their second 5 was good, but not as good or as quick as their first 5. And the second game will be different 1. because it's GB's homecoming and Senior night, 2. they will have a larger crowd for that and because its a home game and because its Springfield, and 3. the refs will hopefully call a better game :thumb:

This celebrating thing is getting out of control on all levels of sports! It starts at the top and when kids see pros do that stuff then they think they have to do it! How many times you seen Peyton Manning get a TD and do a dirty bird dance, grad a cell phone, ask a cheerleader to marry him, do CPR on a football, lay the football down and wipe its butt like its a baby? You never see this tuff, because the man is all class! I wish more athletes would follow this mold! I mean come on whats next? Is Chad Johnson gonna have a BMW in the tunnel and when he scores a TD he's gonna run jump in it and do a dounut on the field? Folks, I understand you can get caught up in the excitement, but celebrate with your teammates, I mean give them a chest bump or what ever but dont make a fool of yourself! Classic example that I seen the other day in the Boro, when Wilson Cates scored the TD to ice the game, you could tell he was busting with excitement, but he didnt jump up and act like a fool, he waited til he got to the sidelines and celebrated with his teammates! Thats the way its suppose to be done, because it is a team effort!!! :thumb:

The head coach from Springfield is John Darden. He is a class act.There is a great deal of dislike between Greenbrier and Springfield in all sports. The action by the player was disrespectful,but I don't think the player realized that. The Bobcats have been a pain to the Jackets the last few years. I'm sure the Jackets were just happy to have the win.The Jacket Bobcat rivalry is much like Murfreesboro Oakland and Riverdale.It's been 13 years since I was part of that.I still can't call that team Murfreesboro.

ok, yes the kid should've gotten a technical which he did by the way but the slashing of the throat is not a threatning sign of killing or hurting someone, it is a simple jesture of letting the crowd know that the game is over or the game isn't anything (as in a piece of cake). I think that everyone in the gym know that the game was over, so i don't think that any player would have been snatched out of the game by neither the refs or coach. I aslo don't think there is a reason to be name calling either (most classless) i don't even think thats a word. From what i heard SPRINGFIELD's team only has 10 players and he rotates them in 5 at a time every 2min and the starters didn't finish the game either.I don't think that had anything to do with class it just seems like catsball1 is upset because SPRINGFIELD bea their county rival springfield by 30, TILL NEXT TIME :thumb:

I attended this game and here is my view point from what I witnessed from the bleachers:

It was nice dunk. He hung on the rim and pulled himself up to show boat: Technical #1. called. Then he proceeds to do the “throat slashing” to the crowd (again show boating): Technical # 2 called.

After the second technical was called he then proceeded to run to the free throw line and slapped his hands down on the floor (and act like a spoiled brat) to protest Technical #2. That should have been Technical # 3. Not called! Coach Darden consoles his player with a smile and they embrace. Typical…yes.

What the officials did after all of this “attitude” was the most horrific part….they take off the second technical….only charging the player with one technical…..so he wouldn’t be suspended for 2 games. So instead of getting the deserved 3 T’s……he only got 1. What an embarrassment to the officiating crew. What kind of message is this sending to our youth?

Would this have made a difference in the outcome of the game? No, it was well out of reach. Springfield had the better team for the first time in 3 years. Did Coach Darden for Springfield put his starters back in the game late in 4th and press Greenbrier’s 3rd team? Yes…he did. Why?…..if I had to guess….it was Coach Darden’s way to vent 3 years of frustration of getting beat by Greenbrier. Call it what you want…..but I call it “Classless”.

Springfield will get their wake up call playing in 3-A this year.

At a freshman game Saturday in East Tennessee team A had team B down by 32 points and were still full court pressing with intense pressure. I realize the two schools do not care a lot for one another but beating someone bad is one thing but to humiliate the young men is another. Yes starters were still in but they did rotate 5 in and 5 out about every two or three minutes. They are a very good freshman team and were better than the team they were beating, however I still say beat them but don't beat them down......................

Im not necessarily condoning what the kid did, but quit whining about it. The fact is that if it would have been a close game when he done this and say GB came back then no one would be complaining. It just sounds like to me you are mad because you got trounsed and you want to complain about something other than the game. I dont agree with what happened but if you dont want it to happen again then you have to learn to play better. Also their are things that can be done on the court to keep this from happening. Anyways, just my opinion quit whining.

Im not necessarily condoning what the kid did, but quit whining about it. The fact is that if it would have been a close game when he done this and say GB came back then no one would be complaining. It just sounds like to me you are mad because you got trounsed and you want to complain about something other than the game. I dont agree with what happened but if you dont want it to happen again then you have to learn to play better. Also their are things that can be done on the court to keep this from happening. Anyways, just my opinion quit whining.