Classes 1A - 2A - 3A

Ole3putt

• 2 weeks later...

Boyd Buc had 3 linemen, the whole defensive secondary and 2 linebackers playing both ways. The QB played Corner or LB, kicked, punted and was the return man about 80% of the time. The RB was also a LB, most of the receivers were corners and deep backs.

Conditioning is the key. If you are limited on available athletes, which 1-3A schools usually are (unless your name is Alcoa) and especially the Multiplier schools, you've got to have the kids ready to go flat out for 48 minutes, special teams included.

It's one of the reasons that small schools who schedule 4 and 5A opponents hang with them for a quarter or two then begin to fall off. When Bayor played BBS in the past Boyd would spread them out and make the linemen scramble. By the end of the half and in the 4th Boyd would make it a tight game or take a lead. The big difference in this years' game was that Baylors line was in better shape and could pursue for 4 quarters.

When Boyd played Cookeville this year I thought they were in the best condition of any 5A school I've seen. No surprise they had several kids going both ways.

• 1 month later...

Boyd Buc had 3 linemen, the whole defensive secondary and 2 linebackers playing both ways. The QB played Corner or LB, kicked, punted and was the return man about 80% of the time. The RB was also a LB, most of the receivers were corners and deep backs.

Conditioning is the key. If you are limited on available athletes, which 1-3A schools usually are (unless your name is Alcoa) and especially the Multiplier schools, you've got to have the kids ready to go flat out for 48 minutes, special teams included.

It's one of the reasons that small schools who schedule 4 and 5A opponents hang with them for a quarter or two then begin to fall off. When Bayor played BBS in the past Boyd would spread them out and make the linemen scramble. By the end of the half and in the 4th Boyd would make it a tight game or take a lead. The big difference in this years' game was that Baylors line was in better shape and could pursue for 4 quarters.

When Boyd played Cookeville this year I thought they were in the best condition of any 5A school I've seen. No surprise they had several kids going both ways.

Its true. However many of Alcoa's players do indeed play both ways. Lindsey, Warren, White, Shiverdecker, Sommer, Lanxter and Reid, all big name players, played both ways this past season.

old eagle 24 your right. you also know thats what i have to do. i have to put my best 11 on the field. sometimes that is 11 both ways. sometimes its more sometimes we use 15 to 20. some goind both ways while others start one way and are backups going the other way. regardless it is still in my opinion iron man football. our guys have to know both sides of the ball as well as multiple positions.

shelton