2003 AAA SWEET 16

FIREMANFRANK

The talent level at East will be incredible this year and they definitely have the size. If they play hard and together, (things that have been lacking in the past), they have a good chance to be the team to beat in Memphis. Only Hamilton will be able to match their size and athletic ability. Don't count either of these teams out come tourney time.

Remember, guys, White Station graduated EIGHT seniors last year and each of them were keys to their season in some way. They will have Dane, Travis Strong, Jonathon Ball, Quinton Marion and a couple of others with real battle experience back, but the bulk of their team will be young. They win by committee, playing 14 players each game, and that worked for them this past year. This will be a different team for them this year and will be talented again, but definitely beatable. They have a transfer, the Shaw kid, 6'9" from Conway, Ark., which will help in the post, but their success depends on what kind of year Bradshaw, Strong, Ball, and a few others have.

Bolton and Bartlett should battle it out again in the suburbs and that is usually a toss-up. Bartlett wins because of sound play and hardnosed defense and they are always well coached. This team may not have the talent to survive in the tournaments and make it all the way to the state, but don't overlook them either.

I don't know much about middle or east teams in AAA but there are only 5 or 6 teams in Memphis that have a preseason legitimate shot at the title. Could be some surprises cause there always are.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schall's 6-9? I heard he was more like 6-6 or 6-7. And I also heard Schall likes to play on the perimeter, not in the post.

This is probably the most talented Bartlett team, other than the championship team, since Rick Houston's class graduated. Bartlett's always given up a lot of athleticism to teams like White Station, Bolton, Hamilton, etc...but they've always been able to play with the best.

I also agree with Opperman. Bartlett will be very talented. Now if they're actually good, that may be a different ? They have a 6'10" that can score in the post if he wants to. A banger on the glass and can score layups and is a true athlete. A good guard who can guard and can guard and will hopefully knock down open looks. And they have one of the more underrated players in the city in Jaycean Herring who is a true, Scooter McFagdon/Jeremy Hunt slasher. The only thing they lack is that true sharpshooter that spreads the defense and significant depth.

[Edited by TJ on 8/3/02 2:45A]

Sorry, but Malone was there when William Blount beat G'ville. This was the only game I saw that they did have their full squad. Greeneville has an outstanding team. They have good shooters and strong post play from Malone. The other big kid(6/6)was very dominant and one of their guards really stood out. William Blount is equally tough and should not be overlooked. They have a couple of 6-8ers and plenty of size on the perimeter. They play gritty defense and Baumann allows no slack. Aaron Eakins is going to be a very good guard for them. Remember, they got beat in the substate at Science Hill after beating Maryville and Clinton. They return a lot of experienced players and they platoon ten deep if not more. Very physical team.......

Greeneville should be able to make a run this year. Science Hill, Dobyns Bennett, TN High, and Cocke County should also be solid from the upper East in AAA.....

Man the Memphis teams are big time this year.

Bolton and Bartlett...I just don't know who wins that one, Bolton has some guards that are very dangerous, and the question will be if Bartlett can guard Sommerset and company.

Hamilton is a huge team...they had 4 guys out there that were over 6'6...Bohannon definitely needs to improve

White Station needs no introduction.

Raleigh Egypt is big and if Vashon Ingram, Larricas Brown, and Lawrence Kinnard really need to step it up...I could honestly see those three combining for 30 points (all are sophomores).

East and Whithaven both have great players in Hammond and Peppers who can both step up and take it to the rim.

Fairley is led by 6'10 Sean Cromwell who improves every day, and has a quality power forward in 6'6 Owens who is great around the basket and keeps the ball high.

Ridgeway has also been very impressive this summer.

So many great teams...so few spots for state.

LOL, if Bartlett can guard Sommerset,lol, that's funny. Sommerset is the biggest waste of a 6'8" frame. The player that everyone in district 14-AAA from Bolton that everyone has to worry about is Fred Peete, if he gets eligible. This kid is highly underrated. Anyway, the first time that Bartlett and Bolton played at Bartlett last year, Sommerset was Bartlett's best player. He got his head out of the game by getting into personal affairs with players and fans. This led to turn over after turnover, missed layup after missed layup, while Ben Frederick went 10-11 from the field on him for 28 points.

Posted by TJ:

LOL, if Bartlett can guard Sommerset,lol, that's funny. Sommerset is the biggest waste of a 6'8" frame. The player that everyone in district 14-AAA from Bolton that everyone has to worry about is Fred Peete, if he gets eligible. This kid is highly underrated.

Sommerset is a big baby. He doesn't know how to play, but he'll end up going to a JUCO somewhere because he's such a tremendous athlete.

Peete's a tremendous athlete who's supposed to be a great shooter. I haven't seen it (he's been off every time I've seen Bolton), but the people who know best tell me he does.

Guest sharpshooter12

William Blount played them their first game on Friday, and Malone played plenty. He didn't play at all on Saturday, you're right there, and then he left for West Virginia on Sunday.

• 1 month later...