New Top Ten at season's end

Its OK to be biased toward your hometown teams, maybe even expected, but you lose some credibility when you post the number 3 team as ALCOA, sorry but Maryville proved that the best 2A team could'nt compete with the top 4A team, much less the top 5 5A teams.

I'm not being biased. Im from Chattanooga. So you tell me what team in the state of TN could beat MARYVILLE.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few facts for Blaster:

McCallie, who lost to a 2A and 4A school, lost in the first round of DII playoffs. MBA, who got spanked in a scrimmage (note scrimmage) by riverdale, also lost in the first round.

This being the case, stop using these two teams to try to prove that DII is horrible. Truth is, your golden boys at Maryville were in a 3-3 war with Melrose (at halftime of the 4A championship game), who had only lost to... oh yea, a DII team.

And the 5A state champs this year had one loss.... to a DII team. I should point out that none of the above DII teams won their division... they were just in it.

Truth is, you could argue that DII doesn't have the best team in the state in it this year (you would be wrong). But no one can say they're second rate.

McCallie, who lost to a 2A and 4A school, lost in the first round of DII playoffs. MBA, who got spanked in a scrimmage (note scrimmage) by riverdale, also lost in the first round.

This being the case, stop using these two teams to try to prove that DII is horrible. Truth is, your golden boys at Maryville were in a 3-3 war with Melrose (at halftime of the 4A championship game), who had only lost to... oh yea, a DII team.

And the 5A state champs this year had one loss.... to a DII team. I should point out that none of the above DII teams won their division... they were just in it.

Truth is, you could argue that DII doesn't have the best team in the state in it this year (you would be wrong). But no one can say they're second rate.

And the truth of the matter is that the vast majority of people on this site have not seen MUS play since their title game was not on TV.

I did see MUS play this year, as well as all of the DI championship games. MUS can beat any of the DI champions. Yes, they could lose to three of them, too (Maryville would have the best chance, but Ravenwood and Alcoa are quite capable as well). MUS has all the ingredients of a top-notch team - smart kids, great players (particularly on the O-line and on all parts of the defense, but the offensive skill players were great, too, exceeding preseason expectations), innovative play-calling, and a coach in Coach Alston who knows the ins-and-outs of the program, having been at the school in some capacity for over 20 years.

All this talk of "best in state" is foolish since it is not settled on the field, but it's even more foolish to dismiss any team that one hasn't actually seen play.

Edited by rollredroll

Farragut beat Ooltewah twice. (W 35-7 and W 33-16 ) and only lost to 1 5A school all year and that was Oak Ridge.into

Ooltewah beat Cookeville, Dobyns Bennet and Oak Ridge. The Admirals were in the game with Oak Ridge in the playoffs with a 1 TD diff untill the mid way thru the 4th Quarter. So how do you leave them out?

They made it into the quarter rounds so they should at least be in the top 8. They were knocked out the same round as Cookeville.414309_FarragutHelmet.JPG

so since they made it to the quarters they should be in the top 8?? so your telling me that a few years ago when utc made it to the sweet 16 of the ncaa tournament that they should have at least been ranked in the top 16 in the last poll...haha that'd be just stupid

Oak Ridge has beaten Farragut by a combined score of 115-7 over the past 12 months in 3 games. I wouldn't place them in the top 50.

Ole Dad

Farragut beat Ooltewah twice. (W 35-7 and W 33-16 ) and only lost to 1 5A school all year and that was Oak Ridge.into

Ooltewah beat Cookeville, Dobyns Bennet and Oak Ridge. The Admirals were in the game with Oak Ridge in the playoffs with a 1 TD diff untill the mid way thru the 4th Quarter. So how do you leave them out?

They made it into the quarter rounds so they should at least be in the top 8. They were knocked out the same round as Cookeville.414309_FarragutHelmet.JPG

I'm not being biased. Im from Chattanooga. So you tell me what team in the state of TN could beat MARYVILLE.

Ravenwood, Oak Ridge, Riverdale, Cookeville. But we will never no on the fact that they need to move up to 5A. Some one needs to start a potition or however you spell it. Get 1,000 Signatures and they move up. I'm sure maryville wouldnt mind since they probably get trashed after winning the gold ball pretty much every year, and then people say that cant compete as well in 5A or DII 3A, and the exception of Alcoa.

I can't stand this DII cra p....if you took the top 8 teams in 5A from the state, i'd take them to war any day against DII. Their region spans the entire state. Give me Riverdale, Oak Ridge, Ravenwood, Cookeville, Ooltewah, Maryville(4A), Alcoa(2A), and Farragut, and I'll guarantee my 8 will win more games against DII than they would.

Its also rediculous that you only have to win 3 games to be a state champion...oh well....

I can't stand this DII cra p....if you took the top 8 teams in 5A from the state, i'd take them to war any day against DII. Their region spans the entire state. Give me Riverdale, Oak Ridge, Ravenwood, Cookeville, Ooltewah, Maryville(4A), Alcoa(2A), and Farragut, and I'll guarantee my 8 will win more games against DII than they would.

Its also rediculous that you only have to win 3 games to be a state champion...oh well....

Ironic that you give DII-AAA a hard time becuase "their region spans the entire state", yet you cherry-pick (something that didn't happen when DII-AAA was created) a made-up league of powers from three different classifications that spans two regions itself. Do you not see the hypocrisy in what you just said?

As far as the playoffs go, there are 8 teams - what kind of format do you want with 8 teams? Double-elimination? Enlighten us how to create more than a 3-game road with 8 teams.

Edited by rollredroll

Yes, D-II is second rate. That is why the Super Seven has teams who play challenging schedules and consistently beat good programs. That is why over the past several years I can remember the 5A champ losing to teams that didn't win the D2-AAA title. That is why the 5A, no doubt a good team, lost to BA. a team who was manhandled by MUS 28-0. CBHS beat the 4A runner-up Melrose. The only other team to do that was Maryville. Father Ryan, perhaps the worst team in D2-AAA, beat Franklin 27-13, who had two narrow losses by a combined 3 points to Ravenwood and a 9-7 loss to Brentwood (not BA). Only two D2-AAA teams lost TN public schools, Briarcrest and McCallie. Briarcrest's lost was against Melrose 14-0. McCallie lost to Alcoa 45-35 and Powell 27-24. Briarcrest didn't make the playoffs, and McCallie lost in the first round. MBA beat Trinity, a powerhouse in Kentucky. D2-AAA is just as solid if not more than D1. The D2 schools would love to compete and show that not only can we compete, but we can beat the top D1 schools. We did not choose to be split up. Also, these programs were solid when they competed against D1 schools before the split, and they are just as good if not better now, and as evident by MBA playing Byrnes and Trinity, they are not afraid to play anyone. If you want to play us, tell Ronnie Carter to end the split. We would love to lose they travel expenses, regain the time lost in the classroom due to travel, and not have to travel 7 hours for regular season "region" games. MUS and CBHS, as well as other D2-AAA schools, have the ability to beat any D1 school.

UT beat LSU.

So much for the "comparative score theory" in football :thumb:

Bottom line: DI and DII play under different circumstances and different economics. To judge one against the other is irrelevant.

They have a whole forum for these discussions. Start a thread and take it there.

The discussion, predictably, has strayed far from the topic.

Just my opinion

have the ability to beat any D1 school.

The key word is ability not guarantee.

Come on D-II and Maryville get on your on topics. I think I read on other post that the D-II schools only won about 14% of the Championships prior to the split so I don't know why they want to get on her an argue.

Heck, history proves that they win 15% of the time when it counts.

Now, what were we talking about, Oh Yeah.

Top 10, D-1 5A schools.

Stay on the subject.