Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Shane Turner, hands down with second place way behind. He runs more organized practices then any coach I know and has been at it for years. They are always open to anyone and when I've been involved, he refused compensation. His technique is rock solid. There are no selfserving reasons as he's not an educator/coach by profession and his son is probably just starting to crawl. When he started coaching little guys 15 years ago, him and Posey were a little extreme but he has since matured into a fine coach whom I would be comfortable sending my son with anywhere. I hope all you folks in Soddy realize how lucky you are and take care of him accordingly.

• Like 1

I'll have to agree on Shane Turner, I've had the privilage of going through a week of practices he ran. I'll also have to go throw out Jason Bennett of Hendersonville, 180 degree turn from before he was there to when he started, 2nd year in he brought out a state champ and the program there has never been big untill his arrival, and it's only growing.

Shane Turner is a great guy as well as one of the greatest coaches ever the step foot in the Soddy wrestling room. I have seen some of the practices of heck he puts those soddy boys through. they are rough. Shane is taking these boys to a different level in the real world as well. Great job Shane

From what I've seen over the past eight years, no coach cares more for his boys in every way than does our Coach Gonyea. He's as good as they come and he's developing winners for life!!

Thanks Coach G

Gordon Connell also was coach at Hixson High School in Chattanooga, leading the Wildcats to the state title in 1973. I believe he left to become coach at MTSU, where he coached Pat Simpson. Connell produced many great wrestlers and state champions at Hixson, led by Randy Batten, who won three NCAA D-II national titles for UT-Chattanooga. As I recall, Batten was slated to wrestle in the D-I tourney his senior year but was hurt. (Anybody know for sure?) Of course, Connell has been great at McCallie.

I'm curious about Soddy-Daisy's Shane Turner. Where did he wrestle in high school and college? Any previous coaching experience before S-D?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• They’ve both gotten worse. I’ve seen enough games to know that. 
    • The only two transfers that Bearden has gotten that went on to play college football were a defensive back from Karnes, who transferred here way before the new coaching staff got here, and a running back from Carter, who went on to play at Maryville College. Both players received those offers while at Bearden, and both players got a diploma from Bearden High School. Therefore, they are Bearden kids, and you can’t do anything about that.   The transfer from Seymour didn’t win the job, what do you expect two quarterbacks to start at the same time? He played great on JV when he could stay healthy, and when he came in on varsity, he did great. The quarterback position is definitely going to be in good hands when the current starting quarterback leaves, but until then, they’re just going to be battling it out like every good quarterback competition does. The current starting quarterback has his flaws, and that is in the pass game, but what he doesn’t have flaws is running and scrambling, and if you go back and watch any game, which I’m sure you didn’t watch any, we used him very often, and when we needed a deep ball, we brought in the transfer from Seymour. The starting quarterback last year will be a senior this year, and the Seymour transfer will be a junior, so the Seymour transfer is definitely going to get his spotlight. He may even win the job this year. Football isn’t about who the newspaper thinks is the best kid. The best kid in the position will win the starting job, and I trust the coaching staff more than a newspaper or article to pick my starting QB.
    • I mean, we’ve only gotten two transfers that went on to play college football, one who went to UT Martin came his second semester junior year before the new coaching staff was here, and the other one went on to play at Maryville College, in which I don’t believe he had any interest prior to transferring.
    • An FYI: To see how an opponent has done against another opponent since 2001- go to the game by clicking on one of the teams. Click the G beside the game. For example, Milan: The info will show you the previous matchups and other info.
    • All these college signees went yo other schools for 3 years, were getting college offers then transferred to Bearden. It’s not like this staff did much to develop them.    The BBall coaches son and the Seymour transfer were some of the most talented QBs in the region, and you guys developed them into QBs who might complete one pass a game.