Scott High

sportsfan10

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said in an earlier post the Lady Landers will win between 7-10. I think they will continue to improve as the season progresses.

However, as I also commented on: WAY TO MANY TURNOVERS!

They aren't going to win many more unless they curtail the turnovers substantially.

Its not there yet, they have a long way to go but they Will Get there with coach Marcum. I believe your 7-10 prediction is pretty accurate.

I agree. Anywhere between 7 and 10 will be all the games they will win. I'll give them a couple years. I think Coach Marcum will turn things around. But as I have stated in a post a few days ago...youth is always Scott High's excuse. There has to be something more. Since 1999 Scott's excuse has been that they were young. They have had some good players and athletes in the past 5 or 6 years, but coaching got those teams nowhere. Maybe now since they have a better coach and leader, even their young teams can compete...and their program can grow and get a little better.

I agree. Anywhere between 7 and 10 will be all the games they will win. I'll give them a couple years. I think Coach Marcum will turn things around. But as I have stated in a post a few days ago...youth is always Scott High's excuse. There has to be something more. Since 1999 Scott's excuse has been that they were young. They have had some good players and athletes in the past 5 or 6 years, but coaching got those teams nowhere. Maybe now since they have a better coach and leader, even their young teams can compete...and their program can grow and get a little better.

While I will agree with most of your comment especially the excuse of being young. Excuses are just that "excuses", all you have to do is look at last years team, four seniors, where is the youth in that?

I will however disagree with you on comment about good players over this time span. Who are they? Talent has been very sub-par during this time.

As far as coaching is concerned, it is hard to coach with out alot of talent. The coaching staff last year did an above average job with the talent pool they had.

The previous four to five years, I will agree, the coaching left alot to be desired.

But anyway, best of luck to the 05-06 version of the Lady Highlanders!

I didn't mean that the talent was awesome at Scott High, but they did have enough talent to win more games and compete better with their opponents than they did. Except for this year, in the past I can recall at least one player on each year's team that could go out and get you at least 12 - 15 points a game...and that's more than they have now. All I was saying is that the coaching at Scott High has been the problem for many years. Last year, I don't really know about the coaching much. I am mostly just referring to around 1999-2004. But there was a little talent...some years more than others. I remember one good 2 and 3 guard, and at least one good post player (2 actually). So I remember at least three players with some talent (one of those with a lot of talent). That should count for something I think. But I do wish the girls and coach Marcum good luck the rest of the season.

I didn't mean that the talent was awesome at Scott High, but they did have enough talent to win more games and compete better with their opponents than they did. Except for this year, in the past I can recall at least one player on each year's team that could go out and get you at least 12 - 15 points a game...and that's more than they have now. All I was saying is that the coaching at Scott High has been the problem for many years. Last year, I don't really know about the coaching much. I am mostly just referring to around 1999-2004. But there was a little talent...some years more than others. I remember one good 2 and 3 guard, and at least one good post player (2 actually). So I remember at least three players with some talent (one of those with a lot of talent). That should count for something I think. But I do wish the girls and coach Marcum good luck the rest of the season.

3 Players in a five to six year period of time justifies talent? Like I said earlier, who are they?

Facts are facts, while coaching may not have have great, the talent has been terrible. No coach, not John Wooden or Pat Summitt could have won with the lack of talent Scott has produced recently.

The team last year won nine games, not bad for the talent level.

But, I will agree they should have been more competitive.

In the last few years Scott High has won:

1999-2000 - 2 games

2000-2001 - 2 games

2001-2002 - 7 games

2002-2003 - 9 games (maybe 11...I'll have to check this one)

2003-2004 - (somewhere near the same, but I don't know for sure)

2004-2005 - 9 games

I don't care if you are playing with a jr. pro team, you should be able to win more than two games a season. That boils right down to coaching. If there is not enough talent on a team to win more games than that, then you shouldn't even be allowed to have a basketball program.

My semi-talented and talented players in the last couple of years:

Kelli Thompson

Tiffany Kenney

Casey West

Danielle Chambers

Brandy Nelson

And this is stretching it a little, I will admit. I would probably honestly only have listed three of those players. But with a better coach, I think the teams in the past years could have been a lot better.

Do you honestly believe thay have had no talent? At least give me your opinion on my opinion!

And to add to my post...

In 2002-2003 it was 9 games they won.

In 2003-2004 it was 5 or 6 games they won.

OK, I had actually forgotten a few of those players. Your point is well taken. Casey West in particular was a very talented player, and the teams she played on should have won more games. So, I will agree, the coaching must have been a BIG problem.

However, look at the team from a year ago, very, very sub-par talent, and they maneged nine wins, including a win over State qualifier Coalfield(class 1A). so back to my point that Coach Kries, and Murley did well with what they had to work with.

You make some good points, and I am inclined to agree with 80-90% of your posts.

I agree about last years team. But I don't know much about Coach Kries or anything he did with the team. I do, however, know Coach Murley a little, and he knows a lot about basketball. Last year the team did not have a lot of talent...I will give you that, and I can assume that coaching had to be better than in the past. But I was mostly referring to the few years before that in my posts. I am taking no credit away from Kries or Murley. I would bet they did a pretty good job. The talent pool was a little low. I just wish that Scott could win the Gimmes because if you don't win those, your win column is pretty much invisible. I look forward to and hope for a better future at Scott High.