Continuation of "Limited Practice Season" Thread

TheGreatLineJudge

Oops. I didn't mean to close the original topic. Selected the wrong option and clicked ok. Anyways, this thread will serve as continuation for the civil discussion that was taking place. I'm not sure how productive it had been at times, but I found it worthwhile overall. Before going further, the following must be said:

Regardless of your personal takes on politics, keep it off this board. You're obviously free to speak your mind via email/PM/what have you, but this forum serves as a place to discuss our sport of volleyball. It is not a place to pick one another apart, regardless of if you like someone or can't stand them. Whether I agreed or disagreed with anything or everything being said doesn't matter. As moderator, I can't allow it.

As moderator, I have allowed flightmaster to speak his/her mind with relatively little interruption. Stay on topic, and as long as it's not out of line, and you're fine. The most recent post, however, has crossed any and every boundary imaginable. It was completely off-topic, was a blantant personal attack on another poster here, and was loaded with wholly inappropriate links to other websites. I personally found the post's content to be disgusting and outrageous.

CP, you know what I'd say to you, so I will leave it at that.

This is a public statement to anyone and everyone who wishes to consider making a post of that nature in this forum: it will NOT be tolerated. Ever. Flightmaster, you are on formal notice. If you ever make a post even remotely close to that ever again in this forum, I will see to it that you are uninvited from this website. Your posts on the sport are one thing, but what you said with your most recent post is beyond the point of civility and decent taste.

To all: Don't think twice. Think three times before considering posting anything even remotely political from here on out. I am not calling anyone out directly, aside from the statement above. Flightmaster continues to be welcome here, provided no outrageous statements are made again. If you wish to talk politics, there is a forum for it on a seperate section of this website.

This post is not up for discussion or debate. If you wish to ask about it, PM or e-mail me.

Again, I apologize for accidentally closing the original thread. Feel free to copy/paste posts that were there, or provide links to the original posts.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

• 4 weeks later...

Well, lets see if i can try to stay on topic........:thumb:

Hey linejudge its nice to be back around here........

Limited practice season........I would love if I was able to have volleyball practice all year long....my girls would be absolutely amazing, but then again when would they have time to do anything at all? I love volleyball and would play it all year long if possible and thats how almost everyone of my players feels also, they love it and would do it all the time if they could and i suppose thats why we don't. Because eventually one of em would get burnt out and no longer have the passion for the game. But i would love to be able to have an open gym all year long and workouts and be able to be there with them and help them through it all, but thats not allowed. Whenever my girls see me all they can say is when does volleyball start??? But as a coach we also have to keep in mind that we are preparing them for the rest of their life.....they have to make themselves do things during the offseason just like they will have to get up on their own and get ready to go look for a job or go to work. they have to do some things on their own. Not too many of my girls go get a membership to a gym and workout to get some or work on their verticle or work on their pass. I'm lucky to get some of em to play volleyball during gym class!!!!!

I would love to see something along the lines of me being able to help them do some workout things in our gym or to get together and play a game of 6 on 6 and really tell them how they can imprive during this time, but thats not allowed.......probably for a good reason though because somewhere there would be a coach that would have their girls in every minute possible and work them into the ground and wouldn't do it the best way and would tell them to pick a sport, which is terrible, aand then we would hold these girls back from something great!!!!

I hope my post makes sense because its a lot of just thoughts rushing to my head at once!!!!!

I think the limit on school's offseason practice protects the girls, I think it's a wise rule with the big picture, long term benefit of kids in mind. It protects the girls who don't want to play one sport all yr from being "made" to do so. And, it keeps harmony within schools ...coaches in one school not fighting over the girls like commodities.

And, so the result of that rule is that the girls who CHOOSE to play more (and have money) well, they do so! Most of them will be at practice tomorrow night! It's actually a good thing for kids to get exposure to different brands of coaching. It keeps things fresh, new, challanging ..and it's great to hear a couple of diff variations on how to perform skills, usually it's just different phrasings on the same technique. If a player hears 3 diff explanations on how to block then ONE of them will click with her.

So, I think the system is working quite well.

Except for kids without money ...but, that's kinda true throughout life in many areas. Money = access and opportunity, whether we like it that way or not. If you want more, you pay more. I'm not praising money for any certain reason, it's just a shame that more urban & rural kids can't get the ops and benefits that suberbblessed kids get.

Announcements