I hear in the McCreary County tournament Oneida is playing Scott

magic123

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Game is December 28th, Wednesday Night @ 9PM

I too think it is a shame that these 2 schools won't play on a regular basis. As tight as budgets are nowadays, this game would help with the year end budget every year. Even though both gyms aren't big enough to host the game. Also I believe MC did this with the gate in mind, but remember they don't care about what size a school from TN is or what class they are in because they don't have classes in KY. Just my opinion.

Edited by inthebasket

i would liek to say something to youdontknowme. Who cares about middle school, middle school means nothing. Scott can gain alot from this game, oneida plainly thinks they are the better school and that they can beat scott. oneida is a 'a' school scott is a 'aa' school not much of a differnce. just one 'a'. how many 'a's u have dont really matter it is the team u put on the floor, and the coach u have coaching them.

I can assure you when Oneida and Scott High line up to play each other in sports this spring: baseball, softball, and boys soccer, there will be no "problems" whatsoever from the parents, coaches, or players regardless of who wins the given contest. So...if you want to see the "battle of Scott County" just come out and watch the two times the baseball and softball teams square-off or the one time the two soccer squards face-off. On top of that, I believe that if you are in the business of track and field this spring, the athletes from the two schools will compete together as the Indian athletes will make the trek south.

If you must get a fix for the two schools going at it "peacefully" in the fall go watch the two girls' soccer programs face off. If you must see how well the student-athletes can work together, just go watch the Oneida golf team play, due to the fact SHS students who wish to play golf must make the journey north. Cross Country may (or may not) fall into this category--not sure if any OHS students go south or not??

So....I said all that to say this: It isn't like the two schools "never" square off my friends!! :lol:

i would liek to say something to youdontknowme. Who cares about middle school, middle school means nothing. Scott can gain alot from this game, oneida plainly thinks they are the better school and that they can beat scott. oneida is a 'a' school scott is a 'aa' school not much of a differnce. just one 'a'. how many 'a's u have dont really matter it is the team u put on the floor, and the coach u have coaching them.

Magic, actually the number of AA's you have does make a difference... in which classification that you will play in, thus providing you with a comparable sized schools to compete against in your district and region. If you look at Scott High and Oneida's student population you will find that Scott High is exaclty twice the size of Oneida, plus 3. So that means they have twice the number of players to pull from when making a team to compete and represent their school. I agree that a team can only play 5 players at a time, that is why every so often a smaller school will beat a bigger school. That is why you play the games. Every now and then you will have upsets and "Hoosier" type stories in high school athletics. That's the beauty of sports. However, to reply to your statement, yes... that one little A does matter..........

But I'm glad you brought Coach Hall into this... he is one of the best coaches around... and an even better person.

I don't understand why all the SHS supporters continuously say Oneida people think and say they are better than SHS. That is just not true. Oneida is a great school with great teachers, coaches, and administration. Scott High, I'm sure is the same way.

Over the past several years the county schools have lost alot of talent to Oneida. They spent their middle school days at Huntsville, Robbins, Burchfield, etc. but decided to go to Oneida for high school. Several things factored in to these decisions, such as: athletics, academics, and scholarships.

Athletics-Winning tradition, able to compete every year, smaller teams so playing time is easier to come by.

Academics-Smaller class rooms, more one on one time with teachers.

Scholarships-Hundreds of thousands of dollars given out every year.

By listing these things I am not trying to say Oneida is better than SHS, I am just listing the reasons why some people choose to come here.

A, AA, AAA, the reasons teams have these letters beside their names is so they can be classified with other schools the same size. TSSAA does not just stick letters out there, it is determined on how many kids you have in your school. When you have more people in your school then you have more people to choose from. It is the responsibility of the school and team to get the best athletes they can so they will be able to compete.

Like threeball said, SHS is double the size of Oneida, therefore they should have better teams and should be able to beat Oneida because they have more kids and more athletes to choose from. It is not anybodys fault other than their own that they can't get more people to play.

As for the middle school thing, when you were in middle school I bet you thought different.

I played for Bill Hall and I know he is a great coach and a class act. He will represent his school the way one should.

My intensions were not to make it sound one sided. Because I know that it does go both ways.

You don't hear it as much from the Oneida side as you do the Scotties, possibly because Oneida didn't win as many, but it is SHS, young and old, that keeps it alive.

My Opinion

1.Oneida thinks scott = big dumb rednecks/ stupid/ poor

2.Scott thinks Onieda= Preppy/ Snobish/ Rich

3.Yes and scott should be the only ones who can say anything about there rivalrys because Scott won 19-2 games they play which oneida won the the first 2 outa 3 years they played.

4.They play in soccer/baseball/softball because it dont matter

5.They should play in every sport. Look at Maryville and Aloca they play even though maryville has triple the students alcoa has. They play for fun thats what sports are all about I think scott and oneida should play because the kids would enjoy it.

6.They will never play in anything besides baseball/softball/soccer/ and basketball if they both enter a tournament and they get put against each other.

7.Scott should win because they have more students yes true but onieda could get alot of expierence from playing a 3-A school. I think it would just be fun for both schools to play in basketball and football. I think tehy should try it out for a year and if there are fights from the parents and stuff dont play again but if not they should continue there rivalry.

Academics-Smaller class rooms, more one on one time with teachers.

Look at the numbers. Oneida has 15.3 students for every one teacher. Scott has 13.5 students for every one teacher.

Scholarships-Hundreds of thousands of dollars given out every year.

Last year Oneida awarded 66 scholarships for around $500,000. Scott awarded 90 scholarships for around $750,000.

Like threeball said, SHS is double the size of Oneida, therefore they should have better teams and should be able to beat Oneida because they have more kids and more athletes to choose from. It is not anybodys fault other than their own that they can't get more people to play.

Yes Scott is AAA and Oneida is A but it is not like we are talking about a Class A team like Sunbright and a Class 3A team like Anderson County. Scott is on the lower end of AAA and Oneida is towards the upper end of A. Yes Scott is twice the size of Oneida. But does that guarantee a win? Oneida is twice the size of Coalfield. Coalfield has beaten Oneida four straight years in football. What gives?

I love Oneida. My nephews go to Oneida and they have great teachers and enjoy the schools very much. But I love Scott too. We have two great schools in Scott County. Why can't we just leave it at that. Why do we have to look for reasons why one is better than the other, youdontknowme?

Edited by Prideof75

My Opinion

Well...basing it on the aforementioned information:

I reckon my wife thinks I'm a preppy / snobish / rich little man who happens to coach and teach at Oneida AND I believe my wife is nothing but a big dumb / stupid / poor redneck since she happens to teach and coach in the Scott County system.

I DON'T THINK SO!! :huh:

As I sit here and type this I can't help but wonder what Christ thinks about ALL of this nonsense since we are in the midst of celebrating his love for us!! :justwrestle:

My Opinion

Based on the aforementioned information:

I reckon my wife thinks I'm a preppy / snobish / rich little man since I teach and coach in the OSSD (I am rich in the fact I know Jesus as my Savior) and I fully believe that my wife is nothing more than a big dumb / stupid / poor redneck who happens to teach and coach in the Scott County system. :justwrestle:

I DON'T THINK SO!! I love my wife (even though she teaches down south)--LOL!! :huh:

On a more serious note, as I typed (and thought out this response) I couldn't help but wonder what Christ looks down upon us and thinks about our ability to get along, especially consdering this is HIS time of the year my friends!! :huh: