Talk at Powell

wild rooster

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out in the zone. I heard it a month ago and it was squelched by HTV. That source was a media connection. This time it came from a customer at the Powell rumor den, I think it is called Humps. I would think that if it occured it would be Phil Wilkes or the offensive coach if they think he is ready. I promise that the principal at Powell does not like any funny bussiness going on and has always had a big hand in hiring and firing coaches. The number of coaches she ran through at Karns is astonishing, both head coaches and assistants. I also heard that wilks may be getting back into college coaching and leaving also. Does anyone know were Watts is going to go to college?

Coach Stephens told me recently that he isn't leaving his head coaching position at Powell.

Cody has offers on the table from Eastern Kentucky and MTSU, among others. He is still being evaluated by Vandy and Kentucky.

You've got to watch that gang at Hump's. They are a wild bunch.

MSGOV, how are things in Clarksville these days?

Out in the zone. I heard it a month ago and it was squelched by HTV. That source was a media connection. This time it came from a customer at the Powell rumor den, I think it is called Humps.

Did you also hear that Wilkes and Stevens were offered jobs at Maryville as co-offensive coordinators? Or what about Lowe being told to get his Drivers Ed Ph.D so he can assume the position? There's another rumor that Catlett is wanting the head coaching job as well. :thumb:

That is good news. Do you think that Stevens will make sure that he stays long enough for Lowe to take over? I know he has been teaching and coaching a long time and I do not know how close to retiring he is.

Coach Stephens has been at Powell for about 10 years and is not close to retirement age yet. I think he'll be around for a while. Will Matt be the next head coach? That speculation is out there and i'm sure that Matt would love to be the head coach at his alma mater one day, but he'd be the first to say that he is still learning to coach.

There are other potential head coaching candidates on the staff besides Matt. Bobby Dagley is one that comes to mind. He has the potential to make a good head football coach.

Did you also hear that Wilkes and Stevens were offered jobs at Maryville as co-offensive coordinators? Or what about Lowe being told to get his Drivers Ed Ph.D so he can assume the position? There's another rumor that Catlett is wanting the head coaching job as well. :thumb:

I can tell you with 100% certainty that not one of those rumors are true. :)

Was Dagley stepped over for the PE position? Will Lowe wait or go for another job until the Powell job comes open? Did the DC leave because he new Lowe was in line for the job? If what you say is true then Dagley is next in line. Also what about the principal and her football support?

I don't think Bobby was stepped over for anything, and I don't think that when the time comes to hire a new coach it will be done "on seniority". It doesn't work that way. Whoever is best quailfied for the job, be it one of the current assistants or an outside applicant, will be hired when that day comes.

Matt likes being at Powell. I have a hard time seeing him coaching at another high school. I could see him as a college coach one day, but not at another high school.

Mrs. P is one of the most supportive principals of her coaches that i've ever been around. She has been very supportive of the football program since she's been at Powell.

Didn't Stephens resign a couple of years ago only to take it back latter.

Some say his resignation was out of frustration. Others say it was a power play to get someone on the teaching staff?????

If Matt Lowe is going to the college level he will need to make the move in the next couple of years. He isn't getting any younger. Also once you get married, have children, etc... It makes it even more difficult.. Is he married?

If Stephens does resign the list will be long of very qualified potential canidates.

Didn't Stephens resign a couple of years ago only to take it back latter.

Some say his resignation was out of frustration. Others say it was a power play to get someone on the teaching staff?????

If Matt Lowe is going to the college level he will need to make the move in the next couple of years. He isn't getting any younger. Also once you get married, have children, etc... It makes it even more difficult.. Is he married?

If Stephens does resign the list will be long of very qualified potential canidates.

Larry stepped down briefly last January. There were some issues that concerned him. The principal was very quick to get them resolved and wanted Larry to stay as her head football coach. The problems were addressed and that was the end of it.

Matt was married back in June of this year, so he is still a newlywed.