When are WB and Heritage going to put Alcoa back on the schedule.

Red Rebels

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FBEMeritus

There is no way Maryville should drop Alcoa. Alcoa vs Maryville is as big as it gets. Both teams fans and especially the alumni would go nuts if these teams didn't play each other.

I agree it is a big deal, and the gate is also big. But let's face it. Alcoa is a 2A school and has not been that much of a game in 10 years and counting. Sure maybe they do win every once and awhile, but in reality Alcoa can not compete. Just look at the hype from this year, Alcoa's best maybe. Maryville is going to be 5A soon and maybe should be now. I would like this game to be played when the jamboree is played, and drop the worthless jamboree. That's elementary stuff, jamborees in my opinion. I know the money raised is used to pay Insurance.

Let's get OR, JC and Ooltewah on the ticket and drop Alcoa, it will help the program in the long term. The OR gate would be bigger and the game allot tougher for both schools.

In my opinion and to be honest Maryville should build another city High School now before it faces the same problems the county schools are now facing. But I know there is too much old politics and money in town to let that happen till it is too late. The county had a man with vision a few years ago, and he was run out of town because "He was not from here," basically. Now the county is five or six years behind and Blount and Heritage are way over capacity. By the time a new county HS is built it will be at 5A numbers as well. Can't understand the lack of leadership the area has in terms of planning for growth. Pro action is better than reaction in my view. I say drop Alcoa, it's not that big of a game unless you are living in the past. I agree this is a great tradition, but even those generally fall by the wayside as society evolves. Just look at the political correctness of the present school board over a flag! That was tradition and history as well and that plan was shoved down the throats of the majority. Leaders need to do what is good for the community over the good ole’ boy agenda.

FBE, I agree with most of your post except for another city high school. The thing that unifies Maryville is MHS football. On Friday nights we put all of our differences aside and pull for one team. I think you see the same thing in other tradition laden schools like Oak Ridge, D-B, Cleveland, etc.

I agree with you stance on the flag, looking at larger school opponents, and planning ahead for future growth.