Jackson Howell will be next Portland Head Coach

Green Lantern

Heard the inside scoop that the next head coach at Portland High School will be Jackson Howell...brings impressive credentials from Ezell-Harding school as defensive coordinator on their championsip team and has done some great things as the head coach at Portland Middle School...has brought the forward pass into the city of Portland to great success....bye, bye wing -t ...hello spread......

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard the inside scoop that the next head coach at Portland High School will be Jackson Howell...brings impressive credentials from Ezell-Harding school as defensive coordinator on their championsip team and has done some great things as the head coach at Portland Middle School...has brought the forward pass into the city of Portland to great success....bye, bye wing -t ...hello spread......

Portland has had years of success. Isn't it a little early to say a local middle-school coach is going to come in and take over. When they start interviewing after Christmas, I bet this one will generate lots of interest from some very good football coaches. I'm not saying Coach Howell can't coach, but I've never heard of him mentioned for any other jobs.

And if thats the case then its hello spread, goodbye playoffs and state championships. :D

Howell was offered the Ezell-Harding job several times but turned it down due to the long drive and his young children.....I think now he is ready to get back to the high school level......say hello , spread...goodbye playoffs, are you crazy.....all hail to the vaunted three play attack of the wing-t...atleast it makes play calling easy, simple enough when you players are the best

Howell was offered the Ezell-Harding job several times but turned it down due to the long drive and his young children.....I think now he is ready to get back to the high school level......say hello , spread...goodbye playoffs, are you crazy.....all hail to the vaunted three play attack of the wing-t...atleast it makes play calling easy, simple enough when you players are the best

It sounds like you have a hidden agenda by pushing so hard for a JR. HI coach. Do you coach, do you live in sumner co., and what is your connection to Ezell Harding?

With that kind of appreciation no wonder Coach Perry wanted out of Portland. Surely there are Roger Perry supporters in Portland for what he's given that program and community.

I'm not in Portland but I do appreciate the efforts of Roger Perry. Anytime a coach reaches the 200 win plateau he puts himself in exclusive company.

He also got himself a state title.

EXCELLENT!!!

I'd like to address 'pulling guard 67' on his earlier post regarding Coach Perry and Portland Football. I saw from an earlier post where you played for the Panthers from around 2002 to just recenlty (didn't give exact dates). Several things about your post are bordering on ridiculous or humorous (I can't quite decide)...let's start with the beginning...most players that played under Coach Perry afford him that title (as do most people on this thread that don't know him from Adam), and it tarnishes some credibility in your post when you begin by addressing him by his first name (there is a football code of ethics, which among other things seemed to not sink in for you during your career). Second, the statement, "I mean, he only won one state title"...sir, do you know how many hundreds of coaches you just offended by that remark that haven't gotten that opportunity, but for arguments sake, let's pause for a moment and talk about what Coach Perry only did. He only won 151 games at Portland in 16 years (averaging over 9 per-more than any in Portland history). He only went to the postseason 15 times out of those 16 years. He only won six regional titles in an eight year span, and he only made it to the round of sixteen eleven years in a row. He only did all of this with zero division 1A signees during that period. But I digress and for this reason, he'd be the first to tell you he did nothing by himself...he'd be the first to say we and include people like you in that statement as well as the best assistant coaches around. Portland won becuase they worked harder than anyone else and bought in to the program, the tradition, and the family. As the gentlemen stated in an earlier post, what a wonderful retrospecitve to send Coach out by one of his former players than to call him by his first name and critique his play calling. Speaking of which, if you played during that recent of a era, I have no problem calling you a bold faced liar when it comes to the three plays statement. Let's see, in the last two years alone I've seen them in the Gun and under center with no backs, in a spread with one back, in a double tight wing formation, in an unbalanced I formation, in an unbalanced wing-t (se-over), in a flex tight end set, in a trips set, and that is just the formations. Let's talk about the three plays logic. Which one of those three was it that was used to beat Smith County at Portland in 2003 (looked like some kind of fake reverse, fake jet, fake belly, pass that went 80 for the win), or what was the formation not used before that they used on White House in the second half of the 2003 game that had them on their heels, or which of the three plays was it when the faked the punt on Chattanooga Howard that was the difference in the game in 2002. Which of the three plays was the double pass that was the difference in the Springfield game just this year. When you got your report card as a player, did you always receive 100% on mental assignments...I mean, I would if it were only three plays. Check out the stats on TSSAA's website and take a look at the amount of points they scored in 2000 (the year of the three play system),if they indeed ran three plays and scored over 500 points, then I'll tell you this much...that must have been the strongest, most physical team in the universe, and if that was the case, then did they just wake up that way...NOPE, they worked like champions for a championship coaching staff. If your sources are as reliable about the hire of the next coach as they are about your first paragraph, folks, don't look for anyone from Goodpasture to take over the reigns...I would personally like to wish the Panthers the best of luck on their new hire and in the continued pursuit of excellence. As for pullin' guard, I hear the local paper doesn't have a letter to the editor lined up for Dec. 2008 about the getting rid of the coaching staff, hang in there and you just might get published. In the mean time, look loyalty and respect and honor up in the dictionary and put up your purple and white pom poms until you can find out what that means (go watch a Goodpasture game, I hear they opened it up against Alcoa!).

Edited by pressman