2 Changes for HS Basketball in TN

dobber2368

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing people say holding the ball isn't basketball. Who let you decide what is and isn't basketball. You can only do 2 things in basketball, out play your opponent and/or out smart your opponent. The only point of the game is to WIN. The coaches and players get to decide what basketball will be on that night. That's what makes the game fun.

I think the best reason to have a shot clock now is to prepare the high school players for what its like in college basketball ; u cant sit around with the ball to keep it close in college and i dont think u should be able to do that in high school, and as cool as it would be to play in an nba arena it would be a terrible feeling playing in what would look to be such low attendence.

To Grace Golden Eagles --

Read the freakin' posts, moron.

I posted yesterday, and others have echoed my post today -- SEVEN STATES have a shot clock.

Here they are, once again, in crystal-clear plain English (and in bold face), so even the most idiotic of all CoachT posters can understand it.

Boys and Girls -- California, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and North Dakota

Girls Only -- Washington and Maryland

Boys Only -- New York

To break it down even further, so GGE can understand it and not have to post again with 48-point, red, bold, underlined, italic letters to ask a question that had already been answered twice within the thread:

There are 50 states in the United States of America. California, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, North Dakota, Washington, Maryland and New York are seven of those states. All seven of them play high school basketball. In high school basketball in those states, a shot clock is used. So YES, for the last and final time, some states use a shot clock.

(Does the sarcasm just jump off the page or what?)

If seven states use a shot clock, I must assume that 43 do not. That speaks volumes to me.

I also agree with Dawg when he says, "who decides what is basketball and what is not." Just because it doesn't suit your eye certainly doesn't mean it isn't basketball.

I also do not believe the purpose of high school basketball is to prepare kids for college basketball. It is to prepare for life. For the few who do play college basketball, the transition from no shot clock to a shot clock would be virtually nonexistent. The players do as they are coached.

Let me ask this again,

What would you think if they used a shot clock in State Tournament Play?

I don't think it would be fair to make every team completely change their game for just the state tournament. If you're not going to use it during the regular season, don't use it in the post-season.

I would not be opposed, however, to maybe using it on an experimental basis in some early-season tournaments that have no bearing on district standings or playoff advancement (i.e., Arby's Classic). But let's not use something in the state tournament that we don't use in the regular season. It's already tough enough on some teams to have to run up and down a college regulation 94-foot court when most high school courts are at least 10 feet shorter.

I've seen a team hold the ball for 7 minutes straight during a 3rd quarter because they knew that if the other team got the ball they would run away with it. So they decided to hold it and try to make one run at it and get lucky. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed. I've seen a team hold the ball for the final 3 minutes of a game after they were down the whole game and as soon as they got the lead they just held it. It's not basketball A shot clock is needed.

3 reasons to leave it the same

1. If you play really good defense a team shouldn't be able to hold it that long, especially pressure defense.

2. Give every team a chance when they step on the floor.

3. Enough bad shots are taken in high school ball without adding to it.