Any changes for Girls Basketball in TN?

dobber2368

I think playing the state tournament in Nashville would be nice and using a shot clock during the tournament would work,opinions?

I agree with everything...especially the SHOT CLOCK!!!! The high school game needs this bad. It is terrible to watch the coaches that make their team pass the ball at least 50 times before they shoot it.

Edited by tobykujo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything...especially the SHOT CLOCK!!!! The high school game needs this bad. It is terrible to watch the coaches that make their team pass the ball at least 50 times before they shoot it.

Put me down for the shot clock. It's more exciting for the fans. It helps to develop the players because they need to learn to play under the time pressure at the next level anyway. If it makes you feel better, make the shot clock longer than 30 seconds, but put the shot clock in. :rolleyes::lol:

No shot clock in high school.

Why not play basketball the way every other high level competitive league does? Part of high school is getting them prepared for the next level. Basketball at the next level includes having a shot clock.

What is the problem with having a shot clock at the high school level?

Why not play basketball the way every other high level competitive league does? Part of high school is getting them prepared for the next level. Basketball at the next level includes having a shot clock.

What is the problem with having a shot clock at the high school level?

Some highschool teams do play high level basketball, but across the spectrum they don't. It's better that the kids learn the Xs and Os of the game in highscool without the pressure of a shot clock.

The kids that push themselves, are exposed to the shot clock in AAU.

Edited by jimbo44

I think that the shot clock has it's place but I like to see defense as well as offense with a shot clock you get run and gun only games. I know lots of people like to watch this style game but I also like to see two teams work the ball and get a good shot and I also like to see a team have the patience and skill to work the clock at the end of a game as well.

I think that the shot clock has it's place but I like to see defense as well as offense with a shot clock you get run and gun only games. I know lots of people like to watch this style game but I also like to see two teams work the ball and get a good shot and I also like to see a team have the patience and skill to work the clock at the end of a game as well.

What about a shot clock longer than 30 seconds? 45 seconds?

I don't think rules should be in place to favor talent. The shot clock favors talent and I think the system that is in place now works. No shot clock. It takes away any reward for intelligent play. If they put it in only teams with a run and gun style will be successful, and nothing is worse than a team trying to play that style that doesn't have the talent to do so.

This has become rediculous. There is no way HS basketball needs a shot clock. Lets look at the arguements:

1. Preparing for the next level- How many HS players go to the next level? HS basketball is not about the preparing these kids for college ball, it is about preparing kids for life. If they get to play college ball, they won't have a hard time getting used to a shot clock.

2. Entertainment- You payed $5 to get into the game. I'm sorry if the game doesn't satisfy you. For the most part, the fans are complaining that they don't like wtaching slow games. Hate to break it to you but the game isn't about the fans, it is about the kids. The decision should be in the best interest of the kids, not the fans.

Some school are not good enough to be competitive as it is, let alone if they have to force up shots.

Also, MTSU is the best place for state to be held. Good location, good seating, good parking. Why move it?

This has become rediculous. There is no way HS basketball needs a shot clock. Lets look at the arguements:

1. Preparing for the next level- How many HS players go to the next level? HS basketball is not about the preparing these kids for college ball, it is about preparing kids for life. If they get to play college ball, they won't have a hard time getting used to a shot clock.

2. Entertainment- You payed $5 to get into the game. I'm sorry if the game doesn't satisfy you. For the most part, the fans are complaining that they don't like wtaching slow games. Hate to break it to you but the game isn't about the fans, it is about the kids. The decision should be in the best interest of the kids, not the fans.

Some school are not good enough to be competitive as it is, let alone if they have to force up shots.

Also, MTSU is the best place for state to be held. Good location, good seating, good parking. Why move it?

With all due respect Dawg05:

1) While I made the implication for the next level only being a higher level of basketball, there is even a higher next level - you mentioned it - that's LIFE, which is what all those "life lessons" are supposed to be about. I agree with you that basketball is more valuable as preparation for life vs. preparation for a basketball career because the vast majority of the girls won't be taking that road. I don't see how having a shot clock reduces the opportunity for life lessons, though. In fact, it probably enriches basketball as an activity with life lessons. For one, knowing how to operate under time pressure is a great skill to have.

2) It's in the interest of the kids to have fans in the stands beyond their parents and extended family. If the game is a viable entertainment for anyone, then that brings in revenue which is good for the teams and the players.

3) There will always be teams that aren't as competitive as other teams - shot clock or not. Now, I do admit that if the shot clock was introduced that some teams that are competitive now would no longer be as competitive. Also, teams that aren't so competitive now could become more competitive with a shot clock.

4) I agree with keeping it in the MTSU area for now. But only because, as far as my experience has been, that area is a hot-bed for girls basketball. I believe it would be hard to get more interest and attendance at the games than what you can get there. MTSU is pretty much centrally located in that hot-bed.

With all due respect Dawg05:

1) While I made the implication for the next level only being a higher level of basketball, there is even a higher next level - you mentioned it - that's LIFE, which is what all those "life lessons" are supposed to be about. I agree with you that basketball is more valuable as preparation for life vs. preparation for a basketball career because the vast majority of the girls won't be taking that road. I don't see how having a shot clock reduces the opportunity for life lessons, though. In fact, it probably enriches basketball as an activity with life lessons. For one, knowing how to operate under time pressure is a great skill to have.

2) It's in the interest of the kids to have fans in the stands beyond their parents and extended family. If the game is a viable entertainment for anyone, then that brings in revenue which is good for the teams and the players.

3) There will always be teams that aren't as competitive as other teams - shot clock or not. Now, I do admit that if the shot clock was introduced that some teams that are competitive now would no longer be as competitive. Also, teams that aren't so competitive now could become more competitive with a shot clock.

4) I agree with keeping it in the MTSU area for now. But only because, as far as my experience has been, that area is a hot-bed for girls basketball. I believe it would be hard to get more interest and attendance at the games than what you can get there. MTSU is pretty much centrally located in that hot-bed.

GREAT RESPONSE Philteen.....

A shot clock makes perfectly good sense. A 30 second shot clock only in an eight minute quarter only means that each team would have to take a minimum of 8 shots a quarter. No one wants to watch a team stall the ball for 4 minutes with a 10 to 8 lead in the second quarter (ie Central -vs- Smith Co in the Collierville Tourney). Who wants to see that and what life lesson is that teaching [ Smith County may beat us so let's not play - we will just stand here]. Basically - let's give up.

MTSU is a good location based on location and facility......

I vote SHOT CLOCK!!!!!!