Any changes for Girls Basketball in TN?

dobber2368

With all due respect Dawg05:

1) While I made the implication for the next level only being a higher level of basketball, there is even a higher next level - you mentioned it - that's LIFE, which is what all those "life lessons" are supposed to be about. I agree with you that basketball is more valuable as preparation for life vs. preparation for a basketball career because the vast majority of the girls won't be taking that road. I don't see how having a shot clock reduces the opportunity for life lessons, though. In fact, it probably enriches basketball as an activity with life lessons. For one, knowing how to operate under time pressure is a great skill to have.

2) It's in the interest of the kids to have fans in the stands beyond their parents and extended family. If the game is a viable entertainment for anyone, then that brings in revenue which is good for the teams and the players.

3) There will always be teams that aren't as competitive as other teams - shot clock or not. Now, I do admit that if the shot clock was introduced that some teams that are competitive now would no longer be as competitive. Also, teams that aren't so competitive now could become more competitive with a shot clock.

4) I agree with keeping it in the MTSU area for now. But only because, as far as my experience has been, that area is a hot-bed for girls basketball. I believe it would be hard to get more interest and attendance at the games than what you can get there. MTSU is pretty much centrally located in that hot-bed.

Having a shot clock doesn't reduce the chance for life lesson, but what does it do to improve the game for the kids? Nothing. There are not teams that will get better with a shot clock. The better teams will just rise that much farther above the bad teams. Also, the kids don't care who is in the stands, they just want to play. They are having fun the way the game is and there is really no need to make a change.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT RESPONSE Philteen.....

A shot clock makes perfectly good sense. A 30 second shot clock only in an eight minute quarter only means that each team would have to take a minimum of 8 shots a quarter. No one wants to watch a team stall the ball for 4 minutes with a 10 to 8 lead in the second quarter (ie Central -vs- Smith Co in the Collierville Tourney). Who wants to see that and what life lesson is that teaching [ Smith County may beat us so let's not play - we will just stand here]. Basically - let's give up.

MTSU is a good location based on location and facility......

I vote SHOT CLOCK!!!!!!

You don't have a clue do you? Holding the ball when you're down 8-10 is quitting. Holding the ball when you're up 8-10 is smart. If a team gets down in a game then that is there fault. Why should they get the benefit of a shot clock to help them get back in the game? Also, if your defense is so bad or so lazy that they let a team hold the ball for 4 minutes then they don't deserve to win.

No need for a shot clock. I don't see anybody holding the ball long enough to even consider that, although it must be going on other places.

MTSU is a good site, but I agree that maybe a smaller place would work. The only thing about any of the smaller places, which would almost have to be located in Nashville, is accessibility and parking. MTSU is easy to get to, and get in and out of--from a fan point of view.

I don't think rules should be in place to favor talent. The shot clock favors talent and I think the system that is in place now works. No shot clock. It takes away any reward for intelligent play. If they put it in only teams with a run and gun style will be successful, and nothing is worse than a team trying to play that style that doesn't have the talent to do so.

WHAT?!?!? DONT PUT THE SHOT CLOCK IN SO THE TALENTED TEAMS WONT HAVE AN ADVANTAGE?!?!? OMG !! I FEEL LIKE I AM AT A PARK AND REC MEETING DISCUSSES RUNNING UP THE SCORE HAHAHA .. BUT ANYWAYS A 45 SECOND CLOCK WOULDNT HURT .. I MEAN LETS GET WITH THE TIMES OR GO BACK TO 6 ON 6 ...

No need for a shot clock, but I do think they should think about putting the time line/ hash back and maybe a little deeper toward the basket. Also would love to see the three point shot go away forever. Guess you can tell I don't care a lot for offense and just love the D. Know this will not happen, but I long for the good old days.

If school sports are for preparing us to play at the highest level, we should have the refs to quit calling walking, hand checking, lane violations etc...... because that is what I see at the so called highest level. Just opinion of course :lol:

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kw

No need for a shot clock, but I do think they should think about putting the time line/ hash back and maybe a little deeper toward the basket. Also would love to see the three point shot go away forever. Guess you can tell I don't care a lot for offense and just love the D. Know this will not happen, but I long for the good old days.

If school sports are for preparing us to play at the highest level, we should have the refs to quit calling walking, hand checking, lane violations etc...... because that is what I see at the so called highest level. Just opinion of course :lol:

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kw

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'm very much for the shot clock, but you make a real good point about the refs at the higher levels. It does concern me that women's basketball has pressure to go the way that men's basketball has gone. In the men's game, it's more about entertainment and show. In the name of attendance ($$$), basketball is becoming a side show spectacle vs. a true athletic event. The NBA is a real example of that.