Sports in Tenn. Newspapers

Old Coach

The reporter does not even know how to post scoring. If a player does not score in double figures only last name is used. It takes two to three days to get articles in the paper. The ones the reporter writes are usually guessed at, because the scores are not correct and apparently never played sports.

As big and as many sports teams in Cleveland and only one sports reporter and I use the title loosly. Go on line at www.clevelandbanner.com and look at sports.

The reporter does not even know how to post scoring. If a player does not score in double figures only last name is used. It takes two to three days to get articles in the paper. The ones the reporter writes are usually guessed at, because the scores are not correct and apparently never played sports.

As big and as many sports teams in Cleveland and only one sports reporter and I use the title loosly. Go on line at www.clevelandbanner.com and look at sports.

Try the Lawrence County Advocate!!!! Three high schools and I have little faith that Summertown will be covered, unless they are the last team in the county playing (which is normal during basketball). Seldom do they even put in box scores--unless it is elementary basketball or maybe jr high.

For real, the Daily Banner isn't the best. It shouldn't take a day or two to get a high school score in, if you only have Cleveland, Bradley Central, and Walker Valley to cover...

If this is the case, and I'm not doubting it or confirming it, it is a shame. The teams in that area deserve better coverage. They have quality programs in most sports and compete at a high level to be in a small area. Hats off to the sports programs in Bradley County!

Ok, I have something to say about this. I have read other sports pages, and I personally don't see a problem with the Banner. Like I have said before, EVERY time I walk into a gym, whether it be a Lee University game, high school game or maybe even some of the junior high games, there is a reporter there. I don't know which games you all are referring to taking days to get in, but every time I have looked, the games are in the following day. There are three schools in Bradley County, plus the Banner covers Polk County. They all play on the same nights. There are two colleges who play also (CSCC and Lee University). Many times these games are on the same nights as high schools, but if they are not, there is always a writer at these games. Then you have wrestling at all three county schools. I read the articles in the paper every time they wrestle. On top of that, the three junior highs in the county want writers at their games. I remember when my kids were in junior high, we always wanted them there. But in reality, there are not enough writers to cover all the games. Look in the Chatt Times. There are boxscores, but very few writeups in the paper. In the Banner all three county schools are covered. The Chatt Times doesn't even personally cover three teams in one night, AND all local college teams. We all want more. We want pictures of our team and kids in the paper. We want to read their names in print. I don't know of any paper that lists the first names of all the players who scored. The larger papers just list the first names of the ones in double figures even in the boxscores. Over the past two years, I have gained a deeper respect for these writers as I see the same ones four and five nights a week in the gyms. And may I add, they earn very little for the time they put in and the criticism they get. Believe me, I have seen much worse coverage. I have gotten on the internet myself and read OTHER newspapers to read what they had to say after we had played their teams. Try doing that! THEN you may appreciate what you have in Cleveland. As for me, I am thankful for the local coverage that Lee and our high schools get. (oh, and most times, it is not simply a synopsis of the game, but a play by play) Try finding that in other papers! You won't. The only thing the Banner could do to make things better is to hire more writers to cover more events. The ones that are there are doing a good job.

Edited by tnwareagle

I just wish they would have more pictures in there. They also should do some kind of special writeups each week about the local players who are playing in college and kinda like to a focus is the week athlete. Like they could do a writeup on Holly Rogers, Charles Little, Justin Hare, all three Lady Raiders at Lee, Kellen PIckle and Cori Pugh, Tiffany Buck, Wes Suiter, Mindy Cox, and any other basketball player who is playing college ball right now. Kinda let the local people know what is going on. That would be cool. Maybe they could hire somebody just to do that kinda thing.

So what you are saying is that it takes "days" because there is no Saturday edition? How can that be the fault of the sportswriters or even the Banner. It would be hard to get a Saturday night's game in the paper with a decent write-up since the Sunday edition is an early morning one and not an afternoon one. If that is the complaint, then that is just a picky one.