Powell's Larry Stephens Resigns as Head Coach

PowellFan

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this whole hiring process hasn't been just a formality. If Powell has planned all along to give the job to Lowe then they are doing their kids, program, and community a great injustice. I know that teaching positions are an issue, but is the Powell administration and community going to settle for mediocracy. I hope that the administration and athletic dept. really consider what they are doing before they make a hire.

Brace yourself futbolfan, all indications seem to be supporting what they are saying about Lowe getting the job.....unfortunately as you will see, schools don't always do what's in the best interest of the kids but what is convenient for the system. Another factor is that present assistant coaches are afraid of being replaced by new ones from a new HC. Indications also suggest a lot of Powell people will take their football players and go elsewhere until Powell proves they have a coach worth anything. Won't that be fun "growing pains ?" The only hope that can be is that the applicant (someone other than Lowe) talked to the administration about the assistant coaching situation. Don't you think a new HC wouldn't necessarily come in and "clean house" during his first year? By the way, can anyone tell me how Powell's super midgets did this year?

Edited by Ntheknow2

Brace yourself futbolfan, all indications seem to be supporting what they are saying about Lowe getting the job.....unfortunately as you will see, schools don't always do what's in the best interest of the kids but what is convenient for the system. Another factor is that present assistant coaches are afraid of being replaced by new ones from a new HC. Indications also suggest a lot of Powell people will take their football players and go elsewhere until Powell proves they have a coach worth anything. Won't that be fun "growing pains ?" The only hope that can be is that the applicant (someone other than Lowe) talked to the administration about the assistant coaching situation. Don't you think a new HC wouldn't necessarily come in and "clean house" during his first year? By the way, can anyone tell me how Powell's super midgets did this year?

I 'll give everyone a rest on Matt Lowe. I'll leave it as we do disagree.

On the super midget program , I don't know how they did this year. I do know that in the past couple of years they have dropped out of the Knoxville league. I thought that was a bad mistake. Playing Claxton and Jacksboro and teams like that will not get the kids ready to play in this region. I know they still play a few of the local teams but it's not the same. The super midgets do not go to football camp anymore . That hurts. All the things that were done years ago to build that super midget program seem to have fell by the wayside. The feeder program is one of the most important things you have to deal with as a high school coach. When the feeder program slacks the high school will feel the effects. When the feeder program is very successful the high school will feel the effects. Powell High HAS dropped the ball on their feeder program. I know that problem is being addressed. I don't know the super midget coach , dont even know his name. I hope he's not a dad just making sure his kid gets to play. I'd really like to see that program be successful.

I 'll give everyone a rest on Matt Lowe. I'll leave it as we do disagree.

On the super midget program , I don't know how they did this year. I do know that in the past couple of years they have dropped out of the Knoxville league. I thought that was a bad mistake. Playing Claxton and Jacksboro and teams like that will not get the kids ready to play in this region. I know they still play a few of the local teams but it's not the same. The super midgets do not go to football camp anymore . That hurts. All the things that were done years ago to build that super midget program seem to have fell by the wayside. The feeder program is one of the most important things you have to deal with as a high school coach. When the feeder program slacks the high school will feel the effects. When the feeder program is very successful the high school will feel the effects. Powell High HAS dropped the ball on their feeder program. I know that problem is being addressed. I don't know the super midget coach , dont even know his name. I hope he's not a dad just making sure his kid gets to play. I'd really like to see that program be successful.

I do agree. Because the middle school league we played in this year did not compare to the knoxville super midget league. Who traditionally has had the best middle school or super midget program?

Is he currently coaching anywhere?

Phil

I don't know if he applied or not. He's a Halls boy and I know at one time he wanted to get back in the Knoxville area. Someone said he'd been in Lousiana but I think that was years ago. I know he applied for the Lenoir City job at one time. He asked about being an assistant at Central but that was somewhere around 99. He's a very nice guy but I guess we will have to ask HTV if he applied.

I do agree. Because the middle school league we played in this year did not compare to the knoxville super midget league. Who traditionally has had the best middle school or super midget program?

As far as Traditions go in super midgets in the early 80's Farragut had some good teams. Middle 80's thru 94 or 5 Powell had the best teams but Central ran a close second. "Joel gets mad when I say that" but in all fairness we had outside influence. Halls had some good ones every now and again but only when Big Tom Burnette was coaching. Tom Burnette was the best Middle School coach I've ever seen. Skip Nichols at Central was the second best coach. In the late 90's John Paul at Central was about unbeatable until Tom Burnette got back into it.

1.POWELL

2.CENTRAL

3.HALLS

4.FARRAGUT

I KNOW THERE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF GOOD TEAMS. Just year in and year out thats MY picks.

Kelly the question I had was who is Gary and his son you were talking about a day or so ago on this thread? And then I added we all get bigger guts it comes with age. I know mine has gotten bigger over the last couple of years.

I was told you were Gary Sheppard's son. You were cracking on me. To me this would be a lot easier if everyone used their own names. Seemed you wanted to take sides with that little moron but if you were not and you were just messing thats ok. I'm sorry. Everyone that knows me knows I'm a baby when someone does not agree with me. You really didn't get in on it much but my feathers were ruffled by that little idiot. You and I are ok and if you are Gary's son tell him I said "hey".