Under Achieving programs

run and gun

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as it pains me to say it (and admit it), riverdale has definately underachieved this year. the talent is there, they have a bunch of that but they just arent getting the job done. sitting down and thinkin about it there is no reason why they should be 10-8 when they could be 15-3 easily. now i hope they can go and make me look like a idiot by saying they have underachieved, but i feel to a extent they have. hopefully they will get the right chemistry and get the ball rollin and do good this second half of the season and in the playoffs (where it counts)

I think maybe this thread would get some better anwers after the tournament. That's when you separate the contenders from the pretenders. In high school basketball, most teams are going to lose games they should win at some time during the season. But come tournament time, you can never underestimate players' hearts. A few years back, Trousdale County floated around .500 during the season two years in a row and ended up going to state. Just this year, Livingston's football team went into the playoffs at .500 and won the state tournament. Now I know that a team's season record might not be what they (or their fans) want it to be or think it should be or whatever, but I think that maybe we should wait until after the tournament to say that a team underachieved.

Guest catfish-hunter

Yes he did. I'm glad he did...but you are right. It didn't hurt a thing. But I sure am glad I've gotten to know him...even if B-ball is totally left out of it.

That's a crock of you know what!!!!!

If Chism transferred to Bolivar and did not play basketball you'd be on here everyday crying in your beer about how Wayne should be playing basketball.

As far as underacheiving programs go I'd have to say Marshall Co. There is no way you can have all of those athletes at a school that was just in the state title game a few years back and now they are consistently losing games by 30.

OUCH!!!!!!!

That's a crock of you know what!!!!!

If Chism transferred to Bolivar and did not play basketball you'd be on here everyday crying in your beer about how Wayne should be playing basketball.

As far as underacheiving programs go I'd have to say Marshall Co. There is no way you can have all of those athletes at a school that was just in the state title game a few years back and now they are consistently losing games by 30.

OUCH!!!!!!!

Catfish, I've got a lot of respect for your posts...but it's no crock at all.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my meaning. OF COURSE I'm glad Wayne is here and playing b-ball! Who wouldn't want that talent on their team?

But man, I've gotten to know the guy and I just meant he is a young man with good character. That's all I meant when I said the stuff about if he wasn't playing b-ball.

I want all of our young people to grow up to be great men/women. I'm just glad he's one of them.

And before someone else says it...yes I'm aware that some Southside fans may not agree and are still unhappy w/ what happened.

But Catfish-I really think you understood what I meant. I'm proud he's a Bolivar Tiger. :thumb:

No harm, no foul. Just explaining.

Edited by firefulmer

How long is some?

Well to answer your question about how long it'll take Camden to wise up about this situation....I'm hoping that the things that when on before and during the Lexington/Camden game will have answered that question....if administration doesn't take a hint after half of the team quit today (2 of them DURING the game!) then they never will....something is terribly wrong with the way this team is being run. Being mediocre in Benton co has been business as usual up until Coach Ward showed up....I'm thinking that like me, everyone else has decided they like the business of winning and maybe something will be done after this season. We can only hope..... ;)

Well to answer your question about how long it'll take Camden to wise up about this situation....I'm hoping that the things that when on before and during the Lexington/Camden game will have answered that question....if administration doesn't take a hint after half of the team quit today (2 of them DURING the game!) then they never will....something is terribly wrong with the way this team is being run. Being mediocre in Benton co has been business as usual up until Coach Ward showed up....I'm thinking that like me, everyone else has decided they like the business of winning and maybe something will be done after this season. We can only hope..... :lol:

It is sad that it has got this bad. It was bad several years ago and now it has gotten worse. Everyone I know is sick of the same ol' thing, losing.

The other night when Liberty was up 70 points on Camden, their coach was still standing up coaching/teaching his players that came off the bench, trying to help them get better. I was thinking that I would love for us to have a coach like that. As I left, I wanted to go by and commend him for that but a friend had already beat me to it.

+

As a casual observer of the teams of District 12-AA, I can tell you that Camden doesn't have the talent to compete. Adolph Rupp couldn't coach those boys that Camden has. Evidently, there are attitudes on the team that are almost impossible to coach. How come everytime a situation comes up like the one in the Camden-Lexington game, the coach is always at fault? Maybe fans of the Camden Boys Basketball program should try to investigate this matter before putting all blame on the coach, and that is just an outside opinion. There seems to be a prevalent attitude with high school sports these days that if a kid does something wrong, that it should be allowed. Maybe Camden's basketball coach has it right by trying to have a little discipline.

As a casual observer of the teams of District 12-AA, I can tell you that Camden doesn't have the talent to compete. Adolph Rupp couldn't coach those boys that Camden has. Evidently, there are attitudes on the team that are almost impossible to coach. How come everytime a situation comes up like the one in the Camden-Lexington game, the coach is always at fault? Maybe fans of the Camden Boys Basketball program should try to investigate this matter before putting all blame on the coach, and that is just an outside opinion. There seems to be a prevalent attitude with high school sports these days that if a kid does something wrong, that it should be allowed. Maybe Camden's basketball coach has it right by trying to have a little discipline.

Evidently, you haven't been around the program at all or very long. This has been a problem that has been building up for years, and most everyone knows what it is. I won't say much here, but a change has been needed for a while there and it has finally come to a head. And yes, there probably isn't a lot of great basketball talent there, but there is enough for a inspired and motivated coach to have a decent team and season. I don't think nothing has to be investigated, because we that have been there know what is going on. Thanks for your outside opinion, but without saying any more, let's just leave it at that.

I remember some talent coming through the Camden program.

Bain, Reed, and French. All talented players. There are solid players on the team now. Leon Williams is young, but if you say that boy doesn't have talent, you are blind. There are players I am leaving out.

What I am getting at here is that yes, believe it or not, you can have successful seasons WITHOUT two D-I players. I have been to a bunch of Camden B-Ball games and I've only seen them win once. That was at Big Sandy.

Now I'm not laying all the blame on the coaching. The coach does know the game. What I am saying is apparently he's not getting through to the players. Or the players aren't buying into the system. Whatever it is THERE IS A PROBLEM.

C'mon. That Lexington game was a debacle. Liberty? Worse. There ARE athletes in that High School. Look at the football team and tell me there are no athletes. At the HS level, that should be all you need is athletes and coaching to put a decent team on the floor.

There are athletes coming up from the Jr. High. Two years ago there was a Jr. High boys program that went undefeated in BOTH basketball and football, so don't tell me there's no talent. You just gotta know where to look.

Anyways, I wish the boys luck through the rest of the season, and I beg them to hang in there and keep working. You'll be better for it.

These posts are almost commical. Everyone always has the answers sitting in the crowd. Give me a break. Lets look at a few of your genius remarks. First rcombs....sure the junior high teams have gone undefeated. AGAINST teams like henry and lakewood. im pretty sure they have the talents of bolivar and liberty. sure the coaching hasnt been the most inspiring the past few years but that could also be put back on the administration. For the past 8 years the coach hasnt even had a true assistant. are you kidding me? you go to a football game on friday night and they have 12 coaches run all over the place. they finally hired a young and inspired coach to become the assistant this year, so things are looking up. another great comment one of yall made was about the athletes in the school. true there are some athletes walking around the school, but many are being told that by concentrating on one sport they will be better. again give me a break. if these kids are such great athelets why cant they do both. Patrick Willis, all-american at ole miss, yeah he played basketball all four years. Chris Donald, yep he plays both. so you cant tell me that these kids should only concentrate on one. as for you lionman, ballhawk actually made a great outside opionin. but oh yeah im sure you probably know more about the problems surrounding this years team. as for the comments from lions4ever....yeah those 2 kids did quit. and they have all already expressed how wrong they were and begged to be put back on. oh yeah and one more thing...the stand up and show your lion pride thing....how about you do that instead of getting on here and bashing the coaches and administration for the way things are going. or better yet....come on down from the stands and show your great skills in the coaching department. and to steal lionmans line....Thanks for your outside opinion, but without saying any more, let's just leave it at that. we are all outsiders so we should step back and stop running our mouths....

Edited by olemissgrad