Obion Co: have they turned it around

pride&tradition

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what the situation is. I am waiting on the Rebel fans who started and commented on this thread to bring their excuses before I respond or elaborate.

That's kind of a pud way to do it I think...If you got an opinion,then opine....

What happened is in the paper today...Coach Jones faces assault charges...It is stemming from an incident that happened in Wednesday's practice....Daniel Augustus,a senior,was participating in a drill where he was to dive on the floor for a loose ball,get up,take a charge then go in for a lay-up where the coach is waiting with a football type pad and hits the player going in....Augustus was hit in the face with the pad and it caused a "knot above his eye and a cut underneath"..He was taken to the local hospital,treated and released....His mother said she would file charges even if the local district attorney doesn't.....The player quit the team during an insuing argument....The coach was suspended for tonight's game with Dyer County,a game in which the Rebels won..Authur Moss and Mason Storey coached the team tonight....An investigation is going on by the school and the Obion Co. Sheriffs Department..Augustus was later reinstated by the school administration.....

My position is this...I wasn't there and neither was anybody on here other than players and the other coach,so nobody else knows for sure....The only way that I would be against what happened is if Coach Jones intentionally hit Augustus in the face,causing the young man injury...I do not condone physical contact between a player and a coach...I wouldn't think Jones hit him in the face to injure the young man...This is a drill that many coaches use and all the other players on the team had been doing it,so I think it was probably an accident that escalated into a big mess...Which seems to be the norm at OC in cases involving the basketball team...All the people at the practice was interviwed by the authorities,so in the next few days,what exactly happened will come out....If it is proven that this was intentional and the injury wasn't an accident,then there is only one thing you can do,fire the coach,you can't have that happening on any level.....

That's kind of a pud way to do it I think...If you got an opinion,then opine....

What happened is in the paper today...Coach Jones faces assault charges...It is stemming from an incident that happened in Wednesday's practice....Daniel Augustus,a senior,was participating in a drill where he was to dive on the floor for a loose ball,get up,take a charge then go in for a lay-up where the coach is waiting with a football type pad and hits the player going in....Augustus was hit in the face with the pad and it caused a "knot above his eye and a cut underneath"..He was taken to the local hospital,treated and released....His mother said she would file charges even if the local district attorney doesn't.....The player quit the team during an insuing argument....The coach was suspended for tonight's game with Dyer County,a game in which the Rebels won..Authur Moss and Mason Storey coached the team tonight....An investigation is going on by the school and the Obion Co. Sheriffs Department..Augustus was later reinstated by the school administration.....

My position is this...I wasn't there and neither was anybody on here other than players and the other coach,so nobody else knows for sure....The only way that I would be against what happened is if Coach Jones intentionally hit Augustus in the face,causing the young man injury...I do not condone physical contact between a player and a coach...I wouldn't think Jones hit him in the face to injure the young man...This is a drill that many coaches use and all the other players on the team had been doing it,so I think it was probably an accident that escalated into a big mess...Which seems to be the norm at OC in cases involving the basketball team...All the people at the practice was interviwed by the authorities,so in the next few days,what exactly happened will come out....If it is proven that this was intentional and the injury wasn't an accident,then there is only one thing you can do,fire the coach,you can't have that happening on any level.....

backin...you are right, those of us who were not there do not know what happened. However, there were enough people, (players) in the gym, I am waiting to see what the investigation shows by both the school and the OC Sheriff's Dept. But as you said if the story stands as I have heard it, then there is but one coarse of action that can be taken.

REBELS take the win over Dyer Co 56-52 after loosing to them early in the season 58-48. One of the BEST games i have seen the REBELS play this year. Sr John Sawyer had 31 points, Fr. Nick Gilliam had 15 and soph Logan Parker and Cory Gibson had 5 apiece. Rusty Davis done a great job on the boards and protecting the ball, Rebels had ONLY 12 TURNOVERS (been avg 22-25) GREAT games boys. At the end of one-15-13 REBELS-halftime- 26-21 REBELS, AT THE END OF 3 TIED UP 32-32. My hat is off to this team, so many distractions and yet they kept their composure and play a very hard and physical game, they are having to grow up faster than they need to. Also Great REBEL crowd involment and support. Rebels now 9-14 overall and 4-5 in dist. with one more dist game left (Crockett Co) Lets come out and show the Rebels we support them. :) PROUD OF YOU REBELS!!!! :)

REBELS take the win over Dyer Co 56-52 after loosing to them early in the season 58-48. One of the BEST games i have seen the REBELS play this year. Sr John Sawyer had 31 points, Fr. Nick Gilliam had 15 and soph Logan Parker and Cory Gibson had 5 apiece. Rusty Davis done a great job on the boards and protecting the ball, Rebels had ONLY 12 TURNOVERS (been avg 22-25) GREAT games boys. At the end of one-15-13 REBELS-halftime- 26-21 REBELS, AT THE END OF 3 TIED UP 32-32. My hat is off to this team, so many distractions and yet they kept their composure and play a very hard and physical game, they are having to grow up faster than they need to. Also Great REBEL crowd involment and support. Rebels now 9-14 overall and 4-5 in dist. with one more dist game left (Crockett Co) Lets come out and show the Rebels we support them. :) PROUD OF YOU REBELS!!!! :)

Great post there sherlock, these guys have indeed been thru enough, they along with the Lady Rebels deserve the support. Good win last night.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!

backin...you are right, those of us who were not there do not know what happened. However, there were enough people, (players) in the gym, I am waiting to see what the investigation shows by both the school and the OC Sheriff's Dept. But as you said if the story stands as I have heard it, then there is but one coarse of action that can be taken.

I do not think there was a malicious intent. And just for the record, I have not criticized the coaching at OCHS, only the administration and the way the past 4 (Whitby, Hoffman, Greer, Davis) have been left out to dry by the administration, fans, and school board; even the current coach was originally undermined. I DO maintain the handling of Coach Davis and Coach Greer was handled with out class, dignity, or professionalism and was dirty. No I wasn't there and my "opinion" is that the intent of the drills was not to hurt anyone. But surely you are even amazed at the continuous zoo that is going on there and has been going on the past 5 years or more.

I do not think there was a malicious intent. And just for the record, I have not criticized the coaching at OCHS, only the administration and the way the past 4 (Whitby, Hoffman, Greer, Davis) have been left out to dry by the administration, fans, and school board; even the current coach was originally undermined. I DO maintain the handling of Coach Davis and Coach Greer was handled with out class, dignity, or professionalism and was dirty. No I wasn't there and my "opinion" is that the intent of the drills was not to hurt anyone. But surely you are even amazed at the continuous zoo that is going on there and has been going on the past 5 years or more.

ontheverge...I have a son that will be in the eighth grade next year.....If this continues to go on, and yes I do think the last four or five years have been a zoo,I may, and really already am actually,thinking very hard on the possibilty of sending him to my alma mater,Union City.....

Don't forget Larry Shanks and Kim Decker in this coaching circus...

As I said, I do not know what brought on the incident of this past week, nor what actually happened. But you are more than right about the circus. Doing radio for OC for 16 years, and getting to work with these coaches, yes it was a zoo. And still the ones that suffered for most all of those coaching changes were the young men and women who had put many long hours into getting to the point of playing high school ball. It has been really sad, for those fine young people, and all of us who care about sports at OC. I don't know yet, as most don't if this is a completely different situation with this latest flare up, but it does seem to be MUCH different. I really do not feel comfortable saying anything till the facts ALL come out. I like most others do know the player involved, and his family, and they are GOOD people. I am interested to see what the investigation shows.

GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest catfish-hunter

Nobody said this team was gonna win 25 games and make a run at Murfreesboro.I think most people knew this was going to be another losing season.And while most people would laugh at a team with only eight wins,considering they only combined for that many wins in the last two seasons combined speaks volumes of the job Coach Jones has done.They have taken the small steps in getting the program turned back around.He's playing mostly underclassmen so this team will only improve over time.

AMEN!!!!!

Great win for Obion Co. last night beating Dyer Co. Barry Jones is going to succeed at Obion and it's going to happen soon. This team will win some games in the '06-'07 season then in '07-'08 this could be a program that is in Murfreesboro.

AMEN!!!!!

Great win for Obion Co. last night beating Dyer Co. Barry Jones is going to succeed at Obion and it's going to happen soon. This team will win some games in the '06-'07 season then in '07-'08 this could be a program that is in Murfreesboro.

It was indeed agood win for OC, and yes OC may be back in the "boro"" some day but I would be surprised if coach Jones is with them, even if he is found to be innocent of the charges. Would anyone want to coach in that kind of atmosphere.