Obion Co: have they turned it around

pride&tradition

It was indeed agood win for OC, and yes OC may be back in the "boro"" some day but I would be surprised if coach Jones is with them, even if he is found to be innocent of the charges. Would anyone want to coach in that kind of atmosphere.

The atmosphere is okay :thumb: aNd with the new gym coming up, it'll be a great day in OCCHS boys basketball.. Teams will fear the "Palace" in Troy :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was indeed agood win for OC, and yes OC may be back in the "boro"" some day but I would be surprised if coach Jones is with them, even if he is found to be innocent of the charges. Would anyone want to coach in that kind of atmosphere.

The atmosphere is fine.This is not another case of a parent upset with a coach because his/her son or daughter isn't getting to play and wants the coach fired.This involves a coach possibly assaulting a player.And if he is found guilty of assaulting the player in question,he should never be allowed to coach again.You can think what you want about Obion Co.,but I believe the right thing is being done.

The atmosphere is fine.This is not another case of a parent upset with a coach because his/her son or daughter isn't getting to play and wants the coach fired.This involves a coach possibly assaulting a player.And if he is found guilty of assaulting the player in question,he should never be allowed to coach again.You can think what you want about Obion Co.,but I believe the right thing is being done.

I first want to say that my comments are from a casual observer that means nothing but the best for OC in all of it's programs. I was born and raised in Obion county, I graduated from OC and raised 3 children OC and they finished school at Obion Central. I try to keep up with their programs the best I can, through the media and good friends I have there. My heart is there with them and it is hurts to see what has happened to the programs there no matter the cause. To most objective observers, looking at all of the coaching changes we may conclude that the atmosphere for coaches to coach and run their programs have been lacking. I do hope this is not the case. As for coach Jones' guilt or innocence I have no oppinion. I agree if he is guilty he should never coach again, if innocent I just feal that it will be diffilcult for him to continue much longer. I hope things will all be worked out.

In starting, I have no personal interest concerning Obion County Central. It is not my intention to run the program into the dirt nor is it to chastise the administration, however, the politics that is the Obion County system is absolutely absurd and its pinnacle is in Troy. It has turned into a death trap for coaches and the political atmosphere that exist has taken a precedence over winning basketball games. This does not condone a 'win at all cost' attitude, however, where is the coach's backing? From Coach Shanks, to Coach Whitby, to whoever else one may name, why to me anyway, does it seem they are almost victims of a system? Seemingly, for whatever reason, a coach at OCCHS is destined to fail, even if he wins ball games and does it the correct way. At Central it seems coaches and referees are blamed for losing and players are praised for winning. The accusations are inexcusable, however, in my opinion, there was no malicious intent. Basketball is a sport, and a fairly rough sport. In my four years of high school ball I broke 3 bones and had a few concussions, all but one injury was suffered at practice. Charge drills, diving on the ball drills, and low-post contact drills are fun. Things happen, and its a shame that the sensitive society throughout America has finally made its way to all of Obion County.

Edited by dynasty03

In starting, I have no personal interest concerning Obion County Central. It is not my intention to run the program into the dirt nor is it to chastise the administration, however, the politics that is the Obion County system is absolutely absurd and its pinnacle is in Troy. It has turned into a death trap for coaches and the political atmosphere that exist has taken a precedence over winning basketball games. This does not condone a 'win at all cost' attitude, however, where is the coach's backing? From Coach Shanks, to Coach Whitby, to whoever else one may name, why to me anyway, does it seem they are almost victims of a system? Seemingly, for whatever reason, a coach at OCCHS is destined to fail, even if he wins ball games and does it the correct way. At Central it seems coaches and referees are blamed for losing and players are praised for winning. The accusations are inexcusable, however, in my opinion, there was no malicious intent. Basketball is a sport, and a fairly rough sport. In my four years of high school ball I broke 3 bones and had a few concussions, all but one injury was suffered at practice. Charge drills, diving on the ball drills, and low-post contact drills are fun. Things happen, and its a shame that the sensitive society throughout America has finally made its way to all of Obion County.

Nice post

I played under Coach Jones for 5 years at Sycamore and i know him as well as anyone does and know for a fact he wouldnt run any of these drills in intent to injure any of his players.. We ran these drills every year and players got hurt but they learned to play through them. There was always one kid that cry about it or something and i guess this one just figured he would try to take it to far.. Coach Jones is probably one of the best coaches in Tennessee and shouldnt be accused of anything like this. The kids should have know what they was getting into from the start and learn how to deal with it or quit.

I think that Jones, assuming that he is cleared from all charges, should countersue. Defamation of character or slander could be a pressed issue. I think the only way to stop all of this is to get an administration (concerning botht the school and county) with a strong enough back bone to stand up to some of these parents and special intrest groups who meet wherever or whenever to discuss Jimmy's playing time and mood swings as of late. I hope that if Jones is reinstated, that he will not give anyone person in Troy the satisfaction of him leaving.

I'm to assume you witnessed the incident in question REBFAN??

No,I did not see the incident.That's why I put "if" in front of most of my opinions.I knew the finger would be pointed at the young man in question.This young man has never caused any kind of trouble to my knowing.I don't believe anything would've been said had there not been more to this incident than just a hard bump during a drill.That's just my opinion.