Boone Blazers

Blazer52

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick note...Calvin (# 9 middle linebacker for Boone) was hurt pretty seriously in a bull ridding accident, so please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Only at Daniel Boone would you here about this. Did he have to have a ladder to get on the bull? How hurt is he anyway?

Well, he's out of intensive care and finally home from the hospital, I hear. They saved his eye but not the vision in it, I'm afraid. Also an issue with his knee. Stomped by a bull in a rodeo, bad, really bad, but by some miracle, he survived. No he won't play football, but he lived, after very serious head injuries.

But thanks for the jokes, what a guy.

Well I have to say I disagree with you. I'm a player on the Daniel Boone high school team i it might be a bold statement but I think we have the single best coaching staff in all of east Tenneessee. We are a small school and all the coaches know all the players by first names.

But

dude are u serious..Volunteer has a wayyyyy better staff..look at who we have on board man..Coach Scott Rider(played at Virgina Tech,part of a 15-0 high school team in GA,father was one of the best high school coaches in Tennessee) so we have both coach Rider and his fathers help,also Pro Bowl TE Jason Witten is Coach Rider's nephew and he's made several visits to Volunteer.. we Have Defensive Cooridinater Jim Hastings, who's won several State Titles and coached college on the D1 level..not too mention about 7 or 8 other specialty coaches who have all played on either D1 teams or top notch D2 programs..we have personal trainers,medical staff,orthopedic dr's on call,etc. we may not have a top notch team YET, but with that staff we're getting there in a hurry ;)

Well, he's out of intensive care and finally home from the hospital, I hear. They saved his eye but not the vision in it, I'm afraid. Also an issue with his knee. Stomped by a bull in a rodeo, bad, really bad, but by some miracle, he survived. No he won't play football, but he lived, after very serious head injuries.

But thanks for the jokes, what a guy.

thats horrible... i was looking forward to playing against him this season....keep me updated on his condition

I'll let you know when I hear something.

He's a friend of my daughter's and he's a good kid. I'm 43 yrs. old and been around a lot of people, but Calvin's without a doubt one of the toughest guys I've been around. Maybe to make up for being short, I don't know, but tougher than a pine knot. Got a concussion in a game last season and they had to take his helmet away to keep him on the sidelines, and he still tried to sneak back in the game.

From what I understand, that was his third ride on the bull, he hurt his knee on the second ride, but didn't tell anybody. On the third one, the bull got him, stomped his head. Lots of swelling and fluid and such, but no brain damage. Bull riding was what he always wanted to do, and nobody could talk him out of it.

dude are u serious..Volunteer has a wayyyyy better staff..look at who we have on board man..Coach Scott Rider(played at Virgina Tech,part of a 15-0 high school team in GA,father was one of the best high school coaches in Tennessee) so we have both coach Rider and his fathers help,also Pro Bowl TE Jason Witten is Coach Rider's nephew and he's made several visits to Volunteer.. we Have Defensive Cooridinater Jim Hastings, who's won several State Titles and coached college on the D1 level..not too mention about 7 or 8 other specialty coaches who have all played on either D1 teams or top notch D2 programs..we have personal trainers,medical staff,orthopedic dr's on call,etc. we may not have a top notch team YET, but with that staff we're getting there in a hurry <_<

Sounds like a big improvement down there at Volunteer. I think what he was referring to, though, was not so much the "big name" coaching staff, but rather the fast turn-around that Boone made from perennial doormat and also-ran, to legitimate playoff team last year. Will they be able to sustain? I don't know. But as good as Sky Hicks was, he had some good backups, and hopefully the O-line was part of the success and will be strong again. Time will tell. Good Luck to you guys down there in Church Hill/ Mt. Carmel.

This #9 was one tough guy vs. Elizabethton last year. A real player and well respected. That game was a tough loss for us and he was one of the main reasons.

Trully hate to hear of any player going down and I wish him well and good health. He is tough and will overcome. Good luck and God Bless You from the Cyclones and their fans.....

Edited by GLee