Claiborne - Cumberland Gap Game #2

bball44444

Claiborne County simply dominated Cumberland Gap in every aspect of the game. Their Claiborne guards applied pressure from the start and the Cumberland Gap guards simply could not handle it. Claiborne County's post controlled the post area throughout most of the game. It almost appeared as though Claiborne knew every offensive and defensive move that Cumberland Gap was going to do. Cumberland Gap seemed to play better when #24 and #33 was on the floor. Why would you take your two top players out of 1/2 this game? I also thought that Claiborne played a good team game especially #14. On the other hand, C-G's offense is centered too much around #10. C-G's coach said that his team did not bring their "A" game and were intimidated by CC. From what I saw was that CC brought their "A" defense which turned C-G into a "C" (average) offense. Two good teams, but the better team did win this contest.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because the claiborne girls has beat the gap girls twice this season dont mean the the greatest in the world.....u gotta think about the state tourny....then u see how good you are against all these middle and west tennessee schools so dont go out saying claiborne girls are the best in the world cause theve beat the gap girls 2 times......i could say the gap boys are the greatest for beating the bulldogs twice but im not cause i know that theres more teams out there that we gotta worry about

Claiborne Co. is certainly a good team, but I wouldn't start thinking about the state tournament yet. They will run in to some pretty good East Tennessee teams like Unicoi Co., South Greene, and Elizabethton in the regional tournament. If they survive the regional, the likes of Austin-East and Seymour will be waiting in the substate. They may make state and see some Middle and West Tennessee teams, but they have plenty to worry about in the East first.

I did not say at any time that Claiborne County was the best team nor did I mention that they would reach the state tournament. Please read the above information that I said earlier again or several times until you interpret it correctly. There are too many teams in East Tennessee Class AA (especially district 1) that are at this time alot better than any team in CC and C-G's district. As for the boys, gapfan you need to read the top of this message board. It clearly says that comments in this section should only pertain to girls basketball. Please refer to the boys message board for boys basketball related issues. You must of have been at the game. You know that CC won the game fairly. No excuses. You need to learn to apply your "S" (Sportsmanship) game against worthy opponents.

Why can't anyone just give the Claiborne girls the respect they deserve...Especially you all from the gap??? How can you keep on saying that the Gap girls are better and have more talent when Claiborne girls have NEVER lost to them? No, they aren't the best team in the world but i think they have proven they are better than the gap. bball44444, who are you talking about, there isn't a #14 that plays for Claiborne? And by the way who are you?

Just guessing but when you said #14 did you mean #10? Michelle Simmons led Claiborne with 21, which was mostly free throws at clutch time. It's easy for somebody who just sees scores or occassionally goes to a game to think that Claiborne is the better team. Mentally, they are stronger, but I would not agree 100% that they are the better team. I predict a third match-up in the district Championship at Union County. It's a neutral site, and in tournaments the atmosphere is always great. And I do not feel that their offense is based around #10, Whitney Vannoy, at all. Sure they may go to her in clutch times, but when all is said and done the open man takes the shot, or someone penetrates and kicks it out to the wing, or they score on the break. Everybody whines and complains about Claiborne not getting any credit, but nobody wants to see that Cumberland is a different team than they have been in the past and certainly has handed every other team in the district a few losses. And finally #24 and #33 are both strong post players, but Coach Vannoy has a rotation that has worked all season long. When they are in foul trouble or need a break the post players rotate two at a time. Check their record before you criticize his coaching methods. Both teams deserve respect and they get plenty of it. They both have packed gyms for every game and this entire county supports both schools very well. And mrv1 is not a CG coach, but I do agree ON FRIDAY NIGHT Claiborne was the best team.

Just guessing but when you said #14 did you mean #10? Michelle Simmons led Claiborne with 21, which was mostly free throws at clutch time. It's easy for somebody who just sees scores or occassionally goes to a game to think that Claiborne is the better team. Mentally, they are stronger, but I would not agree 100% that they are the better team. I predict a third match-up in the district Championship at Union County. It's a neutral site, and in tournaments the atmosphere is always great. And I do not feel that their offense is based around #10, Whitney Vannoy, at all. Sure they may go to her in clutch times, but when all is said and done the open man takes the shot, or someone penetrates and kicks it out to the wing, or they score on the break. Everybody whines and complains about Claiborne not getting any credit, but nobody wants to see that Cumberland is a different team than they have been in the past and certainly has handed every other team in the district a few losses. And finally #24 and #33 are both strong post players, but Coach Vannoy has a rotation that has worked all season long. When they are in foul trouble or need a break the post players rotate two at a time. Check their record before you criticize his coaching methods. Both teams deserve respect and they get plenty of it. They both have packed gyms for every game and this entire county supports both schools very well. And mrv1 is not a CG coach, but I do agree ON FRIDAY NIGHT Claiborne was the best team.

I agree with almost everything you said...I do believe that it would be a great match-up and game to see in the districts if it turns out that way...The only thing i disagree with is the statement about #10 scoring the most at the end of the game...She had 8 points in the first quarter alone, and was beating everyone to the basket the whole game...She only made about 6 free throws at clutch time..She just played an all around good game that night, offense as well as defense.

mrv1....mr vannoy...sure sounds like a cumberland gap coach to me. if not him then his brother who coaches at lmu who i believe wouldnt take time out of his coaching duties to talk on coacht about cumberland gap and claiborne county basketball all the time. check it out, all mrv1's posts are about cumberland gap or teams from this area. MRVannoy. :blink:

mrv1....mr vannoy...sure sounds like a cumberland gap coach to me. if not him then his brother who coaches at lmu who i believe wouldnt take time out of his coaching duties to talk on coacht about cumberland gap and claiborne county basketball all the time. check it out, all mrv1's posts are about cumberland gap or teams from this area. MRVannoy. :lol:

Yes I am certain that it is Coach Vannoy, and i am almost positive that gapgirl2005 is his daughter Jenna. How else would she know so much about him, his game strategy, and all the stats?

Bball35, would you happen to play basketball and softball for Pigeon Forge?? :lol:

Yes I am certain that it is Coach Vannoy, and i am almost positive that gapgirl2005 is his daughter Jenna. How else would she know so much about him, his game strategy, and all the stats?

Bball35, would you happen to play basketball and softball for Pigeon Forge?? :thumb:

maybe. :lol: didnt mean to get snappy, just dont like when people try and hide behind a name. anyways, to basketball....looks like cumberland gap is trying to make a stong statement with their only losses coming to claiborne. with gp's loss at rutledge everything looks to be wide open with claiborne slightly ahead of the pack. these next two weeks will be critical. barring injury, the race for #1 will be a tight one between several teams.

who might u be hk?