Tell me about the McMinn Central Chargers

oldchargerdieshard

Some of you guys/gals please take the time to tell an old Charger (83) about this year's team. I have just recently realized how good they are this year. Is B. Brown a lot better than J. Billingsly in the 82-83 season? What can I look for when I make the trip over from NC? When is a really good game coming up, too, as I don't really want to see a blowout? Thanks, and roll big blue.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they are very good this year...you will probably be shocked to hear that they are more capable this year then ever of winning a State Title...I never saw Billingsly play, but I find it hard to imagine that he could be any better then Beau Brown...Brown is a very good Student Athlete, he does an excellent job on and off the court...on the 24th, they have McMinn County, whom they have already beaten once this year, at home and then the next good game after that would be on February 14th, when they host Cleveland, whom they have already beat twice this year...they SHOULD go the rest of the regular season undefeated, but things can happen...we know that all too well after last year...their road to the State Tournament looks to be pretty easy as well...there doesn't seem to be anybody in the other region that could stack up to them in Sectionals...only time will tell, however...

Well, they are very good this year...you will probably be shocked to hear that they are more capable this year then ever of winning a State Title...I never saw Billingsly play, but I find it hard to imagine that he could be any better then Beau Brown...Brown is a very good Student Athlete, he does an excellent job on and off the court...on the 24th, they have McMinn County, whom they have already beaten once this year, at home and then the next good game after that would be on February 14th, when they host Cleveland, whom they have already beat twice this year...they SHOULD go the rest of the regular season undefeated, but things can happen...we know that all too well after last year...their road to the State Tournament looks to be pretty easy as well...there doesn't seem to be anybody in the other region that could stack up to them in Sectionals...only time will tell, however...

McMinn Central does not have a chance to win the state! To even say that is funny! Bolivar Central, Martin Luther King, Giles County just to name a few.......they would get blown right out of the gym against some to these teams. I wouldn't be suprised if they don't even make it to the state......they don't guard anybody and they play selfish basketball.

McMinn Central does not have a chance to win the state! To even say that is funny! Bolivar Central, Martin Luther King, Giles County just to name a few.......they would get blown right out of the gym against some to these teams. I wouldn't be suprised if they don't even make it to the state......they don't guard anybody and they play selfish basketball.

Your lack of knowledge and excessive arrogance, I find funny...MLK & Giles are average at best this year...they do everything the opposite of what you said...they play great team basketball and they have a very potent defense...next time, think before you speak, fool...

Your lack of knowledge and excessive arrogance, I find funny...MLK & Giles are average at best this year...they do everything the opposite of what you said...they play great team basketball and they have a very potent defense...next time, think before you speak, fool...

My lack of knowledge? Even if Central could beat MLK or Giles (I don't think they can if they lost to Fulton), DO YOU REALLY, TRULY BELIEVE THEY COULD BOLIVAR CENTRAL??????? Have you seen Bolivar Central play? It would be a complete joke if they played! You think MLK and Giles are average because of their record...... they don't play Polk County, Sequoyah, and Sweetwater. They play tough teams night in and night out. The only statement I really disagreed with in your first post was that McMinn Central could win the state.......anyone that is breathing knows that's a joke.

So you think McMinn Central plays great team basketball? What is your definition of team basketball? My definition of team basketball is not shooting forty footers every other time down the floor (I'm referring to Beau). They normally don't make more than 1 or 2 passes on offense before they shoot, and yes I've seen them play.

POTENT DEFENSE??????????? Wow.........thats funny! Anyone that knows basketball and has seen them play knows that they don't play good defense....their to worried about shooting. Only time will tell.......they should make it to the state tournament, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got upset again this year. You can't beat good teams playing like they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My lack of knowledge? Even if Central could beat MLK or Giles (I don't think they can if they lost to Fulton), DO YOU REALLY, TRULY BELIEVE THEY COULD BOLIVAR CENTRAL??????? Have you seen Bolivar Central play? It would be a complete joke if they played! You think MLK and Giles are average because of their record...... they don't play Polk County, Sequoyah, and Sweetwater. They play tough teams night in and night out. The only statement I really disagreed with in your first post was that McMinn Central could win the state.......anyone that is breathing knows that's a joke.

So you think McMinn Central plays great team basketball? What is your definition of team basketball? My definition of team basketball is not shooting forty footers every other time down the floor (I'm referring to Beau). They normally don't make more than 1 or 2 passes on offense before they shoot, and yes I've seen them play.

POTENT DEFENSE??????????? Wow.........thats funny! Anyone that knows basketball and has seen them play knows that they don't play good defense....their to worried about shooting. Only time will tell.......they should make it to the state tournament, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got upset again this year. You can't beat good teams playing like they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough teams night in and night out??? Give me a break...Giles Co. has the 76th toughest schedule in the state...WOW!!! They are runnin the gauntlet aren't they??? While Central's isn't much better, it is higher ranked, so again, you have spoken without knowledge...I will concede that Martin Luther King plays a tougher schedule then Central, however, if you match strength+success, you will find Central is like #2 in the state...MLK is 23rd...again, you speak without knowledge...and again, your claims are shot down...and you believe that Central could never beat Bolivar just because they lost to Fulton??? I believe Bolivar had a hiccup of their own this year against Fayette-Ware...so I guess it all evens out...you spoke with some knowledge this time, but you looked at just one side, so you may as well have spoke without knowledge...Giles Co., I have no clue what you spoke of them, they are nothing short of a joke this year...and MLK, they are aight I guess, but they won't make it to state...farthest they can hope to get is sub-state, and if they are on the road, which I expect them to be, you will get to see how truly good Central is, as I will expect them to quote unquote, do MLK in...and out of curiosity, which McMinn Central games have you been to this year???

Tough teams night in and night out??? Give me a break...Giles Co. has the 76th toughest schedule in the state...WOW!!! They are runnin the gauntlet aren't they??? While Central's isn't much better, it is higher ranked, so again, you have spoken without knowledge...I will concede that Martin Luther King plays a tougher schedule then Central, however, if you match strength+success, you will find Central is like #2 in the state...MLK is 23rd...again, you speak without knowledge...and again, your claims are shot down...and you believe that Central could never beat Bolivar just because they lost to Fulton??? I believe Bolivar had a hiccup of their own this year against Fayette-Ware...so I guess it all evens out...you spoke with some knowledge this time, but you looked at just one side, so you may as well have spoke without knowledge...Giles Co., I have no clue what you spoke of them, they are nothing short of a joke this year...and MLK, they are aight I guess, but they won't make it to state...farthest they can hope to get is sub-state, and if they are on the road, which I expect them to be, you will get to see how truly good Central is, as I will expect them to quote unquote, do MLK in...and out of curiosity, which McMinn Central games have you been to this year???

Do you really think that Giles or MLK plays teams as bad as Polk, Sweetwater, Sequoyah, Boyd Buchanon? Your facts about strength of schedule are good;however, Giles and MLK were just some examples off the top of my head (forget I mentioned them eventhough they would probably beat Central).....what about the good Memphis teams. You keep talking about knowledge....a few years ago Central made it to the state (had a really good team similar to this year) and got WAXED by Ridgeway....I'm pretty sure they got beat by at least 30. Thats my point.....yeah you can argue that this team is different, but they play the same style (Same coach as then), and a similar schedule. How is that for knowledge......FOOL!

You obviously haven't seen Bolivar Central play ( you would have seen them play in the state tournament last year, but you got UPSET by CSAS)?????????? I did watch them play......and if Central played them this year it would be a laugher.

It might be worse than the Ridgeway beating.

Why didn't you respond to the comments about Beau shooting forty footers every other trip, and them making only one or two passes on offense before someone JACKS it! What.......coacht don't have your facts to back that up? What you don't want to speak without knowledge? I know your a die hard Central fan, and you want them to win the state but that is a joke..... HA HA

I have seen Central play McMinn County

Having seen McMinn Central, I would have to say they are the top AA team in the East. I think Austin East and Fulton are very close, AE being better than Fulton. Alcoa could also be in the running to make a trip to the Boro. That being said, Haywood, Boliver, Liberty, and Mitchell will probably be the representatives from West Tennessee. Having lived over there for years and knowing what West Tennessee basketball looks like I would say that the champion will reside West of the Tennessee River once again. You guys need to be realistic. Beau Brown is a mid major D-I or strong D-II player at best. Blake Derrick might be able to play at Wesleyan. Other than that they have no college bound players at this point. The two sophomores may develop into college players, but at this point they are not ready. Boliver, Haywood, Mitchell and Liberty all have D-I players. In this case Boliver has two high major D-I players in Kemp (Memphis) and Chism (Tennessee). At the same time Mitchell has Thad Young (top five recruit in the nation). The reason Central has absolutely no chance against any of these teams is this. They must press and take the ball away from you to fuel their potent offense. They will not be able to take the ball away from any of these teams. Central's half court D is very suspect. That being said, I still would like to see a Gold Ball come back to East Tennessee in something besides single A but I just don't see it happening...But anyway good luck Chargers.

Having seen McMinn Central, I would have to say they are the top AA team in the East. I think Austin East and Fulton are very close, AE being better than Fulton. Alcoa could also be in the running to make a trip to the Boro. That being said, Haywood, Boliver, Liberty, and Mitchell will probably be the representatives from West Tennessee. Having lived over there for years and knowing what West Tennessee basketball looks like I would say that the champion will reside West of the Tennessee River once again. You guys need to be realistic. Beau Brown is a mid major D-I or strong D-II player at best. Blake Derrick might be able to play at Wesleyan. Other than that they have no college bound players at this point. The two sophomores may develop into college players, but at this point they are not ready. Boliver, Haywood, Mitchell and Liberty all have D-I players. In this case Boliver has two high major D-I players in Kemp (Memphis) and Chism (Tennessee). At the same time Mitchell has Thad Young (top five recruit in the nation). The reason Central has absolutely no chance against any of these teams is this. They must press and take the ball away from you to fuel their potent offense. They will not be able to take the ball away from any of these teams. Central's half court D is very suspect. That being said, I still would like to see a Gold Ball come back to East Tennessee in something besides single A but I just don't see it happening...But anyway good luck Chargers.

Thanks for the insight twhoops. Great facts

WIN STATE what are u talking about? Come on being a fan is one thing but thinking they can win state is just mindboggling to me. Bolivar refuses to loose, Mitchell has about 3 or 4 D1 prospect. Giles Co. is down from recent past but they are still a pretty good team. Haywood, u just cant say enogh about their play. MLK no matter how much tallant they have coach Shelton will always have his guys in the mix in March. Liberty has just been killing people and will continue too. Fulton can do some things in the post season with the tallant they have and probably the best coach in E. Tenn. Alcoa athelets everywhere along with AE. Not saying the last coulple got a good shot but they all got a better shot then McMinn Central does to win state just because of their playing styles.

When ever McMinn Central gets into a dog fight with a good team something happens, Beau will not pass the ball and it will ultimately cost them in the tourny.

McMinn is a very good team when they play together. Also to win state u have to be able to guard somebody and McMInn Centrals idea of good defense is to let them shot so we can get the ball back to score more.

Do you really think that Giles or MLK plays teams as bad as Polk, Sweetwater, Sequoyah, Boyd Buchanon? Your facts about strength of schedule are good;however, Giles and MLK were just some examples off the top of my head (forget I mentioned them eventhough they would probably beat Central).....what about the good Memphis teams. You keep talking about knowledge....a few years ago Central made it to the state (had a really good team similar to this year) and got WAXED by Ridgeway....I'm pretty sure they got beat by at least 30. Thats my point.....yeah you can argue that this team is different, but they play the same style (Same coach as then), and a similar schedule. How is that for knowledge......FOOL!

You obviously haven't seen Bolivar Central play ( you would have seen them play in the state tournament last year, but you got UPSET by CSAS)?????????? I did watch them play......and if Central played them this year it would be a laugher.

It might be worse than the Ridgeway beating.

Why didn't you respond to the comments about Beau shooting forty footers every other trip, and them making only one or two passes on offense before someone JACKS it! What.......coacht don't have your facts to back that up? What you don't want to speak without knowledge? I know your a die hard Central fan, and you want them to win the state but that is a joke..... HA HA

I have seen Central play McMinn County

yes, I DO believe they are as weak as Sweetwater, Sequoyah and that bunch...the combined Record of Giles Co.'s opponents is 116 and 94...MLK's is 110-93, but I believe that you have to factor in that MLK has played Brentwood Academy as well, so props to them...as for Beau pulling 40 footers, I disagree with it unless he can consistently hit it, which he has not...you were correct in what you said there...however, saying Giles & MLK would beat McMinn Central was incorrect...McMinn Central would dust both of them off...and you saw them play McMinn County you said??? Central is a VERY different team from then...they have improved in almost every aspect of the game since that game...that was at the first of the year, too, so you were judging a team based on what they did at the beginning of the season...very foolish...and about Ridgeway, they were stacked that year and they had a dude, Derrick Byars, maybe you've heard of him, that was playing in the ACC at VA for a while now he is at Vanderbilt and I even believe he is starting...this team is very different then that one in 2001...they play with more togetherness, something that is necessary to win a championship...from what I hear, Kemp has been doin it all for Bolivar...a one man show, similar to Terrence Oglesby at Bradley Central...I believe if that is the case, then Central has a good chance to expose that and win it, assuming thats who they play if they get there...even if that is not the case, I believe Central is one of the most capable teams of pulling this feat off, of beating Bolivar I mean...nobody gave Giles Co. chance when they beat Ridgeway in the 02-03 campaign to win state...they did it...why can't Central???

WIN STATE what are u talking about? Come on being a fan is one thing but thinking they can win state is just mindboggling to me. Bolivar refuses to loose, Mitchell has about 3 or 4 D1 prospect. Giles Co. is down from recent past but they are still a pretty good team. Haywood, u just cant say enogh about their play. MLK no matter how much tallant they have coach Shelton will always have his guys in the mix in March. Liberty has just been killing people and will continue too. Fulton can do some things in the post season with the tallant they have and probably the best coach in E. Tenn. Alcoa athelets everywhere along with AE. Not saying the last coulple got a good shot but they all got a better shot then McMinn Central does to win state just because of their playing styles.

When ever McMinn Central gets into a dog fight with a good team something happens, Beau will not pass the ball and it will ultimately cost them in the tourny.

McMinn is a very good team when they play together. Also to win state u have to be able to guard somebody and McMInn Centrals idea of good defense is to let them shot so we can get the ball back to score more.

Actually, whenever Central gets in a dogfight, Beau tends to pass more...again, check your facts before you post...Beau is also one of the assist leaders in the Knoxville & Chattanooga Area, so don't say he doesn't pass...Central is very capable of winning the state tournament, anything can happen in basketball...if you don't know that, then you have no business posting...however, this year will be Central's best chance for a while because they are playing with the right stuff right now and next year they will be without Beau & Blake...don't drag down Central just because they beat your beloved Governors...