Cyclone Basketball

CountryBoy4Life

I'm pretty much just sick of watching this team play. This team looks terrible playing out there. They can't play together on the floor. They can't play defense. They don't have an efficient offense. It is obvious nothing is accomplished in practice. And they don't have a coach trying to fix any of this. Some of they players out there are playing for themselves and it is obvious. I feel sorry and embarrassed for the players that care and aren't used to this kind of embarrassing play. This team has a lot of talent but no leader on the bench pulling them together. The coach can barely see what is going on and has to ask his assistants how much time is on the clock, who is in, what's the score, who made the turnover, who got the rebound. It is really sad and really pitiful. Hiring Mike Wilson is the 2nd worst decision made by the AD, the first would be firing Tony Hardin. I've already told a couple guys that is about time to tighten up their spikes and swing those sticks, caz they have one heckuva coach for the baseball team.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know what is happening at Elizabethton especially with Cyclone pride. Each basketball player had written a favorite saying and his number on a wall in the dressing room for the past ten years. This was a not graffiti wall, but a neat wall that instilled Cyclone pride in the players that were on the basketball team. Some players would contemplate over what saying they were going to put up for an entire year. Many young men who had graduated would come back and look at their place on the wall. Who knows – it might have been featured on ESPN someday with a Jason Witten story or some other fine young man – BUT that will definitely not happen. That wall was painted with new paint – all of the sayings, numbers, along with some Cyclone pride has vanished. Many past players can’t believe they did this. It makes no sense. This wall had been their since Coach Hardin was the coach, but this was not his wall. This was the players’ wall. This was something that instilled pride in these kids and made them think about becoming adults, and what they could say on that wall that would help other kids who will be on a Cyclone team. I think the powers that be are forgetting about what is best for the most important people in any school or on any basketball team – the students.

That was very bad ballgame at Sullivan North. Those boys deserved a better fate than that. If Coach Wilson doesn't want to put in the time to prepare, he needs to go away.

The Cyclones went ahead by one, 22 - 21, on a three point shot by Norman with about 2:30 left in the second quarter. Wilson takes the big kid out and the next thing you know, the score is 48 - 27. Coach Wilson - that is a 26 to 4 run without anything done on your part to attack the weaknesses of North. Open your eyes, no pun intended.

He left Collie(their best penetrator), Taylor(their assist man), and Norman(their best inside player) on the bench for almost all of the second half. Wilson threw a little temper tantrum by showing the kids who was in charge. "I'll bench them all. That will show them who the boss is".

Coach Wilson - You win. You are in charge.... So was General Custer.

I know Nave was out with an injury and the odds of winning went down without him, but think of how great it would have been if they had been able to prove to themselves they could win when the ace was one the bench. What a morale boost that would have been for the rest of the team. I think they would have been a better team for the rest of the season.

Edited by old cyclone

New to this board but not new to cyclone pride. Its a cop out to blame all this on Coach Wilson. The players must decide for themselves what kind of team they want to be. Too much selfishness on this team. Look in the mirror boys. Parents and fans the blame game is easy to play. Wilson made coaching mistakes last year and yet he took a team to state. He's making mistakes this year, and for sure probably let ole Bayless out coach him last friday; but, the players he puts on the floor need to be brothers, teammates; not names in a box score; Im not saying all of them are like that; they are not. But as as whole they are not playing hard on both ends. Take responsibility fellow cyclones. Dont pass the buck. Give your coach something to work with. Be coachable. Have cyclone pride.

That was very bad ballgame at Sullivan North. Those boys deserved a better fate than that. If Coach Wilson doesn't want to put in the time to prepare, he needs to go away.

The Cyclones went ahead by one, 22 - 21, on a three point shot by Norman with about 2:30 left in the second quarter. Wilson takes the big kid out and the next thing you know, the score is 48 - 27. Coach Wilson - that is a 26 to 4 run without anything done on your part to attack the weaknesses of North. Open your eyes, no pun intended.

He left Collie(their best penetrator), Taylor(their assist man), and Norman(their best inside player) on the bench for almost all of the second half. Wilson threw a little temper tantrum by showing the kids who was in charge. "I'll bench them all. That will show them who the boss is".

Coach Wilson - You win. You are in charge.... So was General Custer.

I know Nave was out with an injury and the odds of winning went down without him, but think of how great it would have been if they had been able to prove to themselves they could win when the ace was one the bench. What a morale boost that would have been for the rest of the team. I think they would have been a better team for the rest of the season.

Well said old cyclone, I heard they had a team meeting Wed. led by Charles Peters, maybe somethan good came out of it. We will have to see on Friday.

And by the way, if the girls would have had Weems last year, they would have a state title for girls basketball at the school right now.

Yes I agree with the statement that CYCLONE PRIDE is a thing of the past. I am a past player and the wall in the locker room was ours. We took great pride in that and really put some thought into what we wanted up as a senior. You just painted over some big-time players quotes. Yes I went to Elizabethton at a great time with winning and pride in all of our sports with Football, Basketball and Baseball. That time is long gone for myself and others. They just took that away with the fire of Coach Hardin who installed great pride in CYCLONE Basketball and in the whole School of Elizabethton. He taught players basketball but more about life and how to deal with frustration. When Elizabethton lost him they lost the Tradition of CYCLONE basketball. Coach John Treadway started the tradition and Coach Dugger kept it up with Discipline. When I was little Elizabethton athletics was everything. Coach Hardin got the Name on the floor of John Treadway to keep this Tradition going and Coach Dugger and coach Hardin Kept the same old desk of John Treadway's to keep something who started it. Elizabethton Athletics are a joke now. You fired the Coach That loved E-town with a son that grew up loving everything about Elizabethton who's life changed and had to move schools. Coach Hardin Record speaks for itself, But more than that just talk to past players of his and they will tell you how much they love Etown and playing for coach Hardin. I took great pride in putting on the orange and black jersey. That is the thing of the past now.

Here is my qoute that was on the wall that is forgotten now.

"PLAY FOR THE NAME ON THE FRONT NOT THE NAME ON THE BACK"

Edited by CoachSH

I agree its a shame the wall was painted over, but I disagree with at least one of you comments. Cyclone Pride is not gone. Far from it. Come watch the girls play ball SH. Watch our cross country teams compete at the state level. Watch the soccer teams compete. Watch the softball team compete. And I bet watch the baseball team compete under coach Payne. The football team next year will show CP. Volleyball team is on the rise. Track teams compete year in year out. For our size, our swimmers and wrestlers definitely compete. Both will send players to state. CoachSH there is more to cyclone pride than boys BB.

I know it hurts more to you and I respect that. And painting over that wall stinks.

yes, you are right Countryboy. I am glad that some other sports are doing well. I think the football team will come around and get the pride back. I was a football guy too. I think coach pless is a great man and will get that team back on track very soon. I am glad for the other athletics and I was raised a CYCLONE but those days are long gone for me to give any support.

As all of the turmoil was taking place last summer, each of the factions had their own agenda. This one wanted that one fired. This one wanted that one replaced and/or transferred. All of it was a political power struggle with no educational benefit whatsoever. At no point was the best interest of the student athletes accounted for. These Cyclones on the floor are the victims of that self-centered nearsightedness. Tony Hardin was also a victim.

Coach Hardin is an outstanding individual. He served his players as more than a coach. He was a mentor and a friend. He picked them up when they were down and always had something positive to say about ALL of his players, even when that something good was hiding itself. He understood the importance of a lifelong commitment to Elizabethton and Carter County. He realized that the things that he did as a coach to make the kids better as players on his floor would translate into making them better men in the community. I will remember so many things that he said and did for his players, one in particular.

I also know that Tony has instilled in his own children some of his ideas about character and respect. I hope that one of them in particular realizes that not too far in the future, Elizabethton will be looking for a young, energetic coach to come and lead the Cyclone basketball program. I also hope that the younger Coach Hardin can find forgiveness for those who offended his dad. There are young men coming up through the ranks who need him, and others like him, to help bring back the pride.

Edited by coacherdude

I have to reply to some things said.

CB 4-life said if Weems was coach last year they would have won the state. You will not win the state when you cannot shoot from the outside. This year EHS girls have a good record but they have won a lot of close games and you only get so many of them wins so they need to play better or they will be upset in the tournament.

CoachSH said football will come around??? No it will not look at the sidelines and some of the people who are there and look at their commentment to their jobs and you will get another 5-5 record in 2006.

EHS boys this year are just a below average team they have their moments but they have a lot of bad moments also.

Baseball has yet to play a game so who knows maybe they will be a decent team.

Why can't the baseball team practice at Joe O' Brien field? I think that is bad on the city or park and rec department because the high school should be able to use the field and the Twins do not come to town until 3 or 4 weeks after high school baseball is over. I hope the new baseball coach rips this topic in the paper because the only way you get anything done in this town is to bring it out in public because if you go and talk to the ones over the Twins or field you will get filled full of crap.

Edited by rvd

I have to reply to some things said.

CB 4-life said if Weems was coach last year they would have won the state. You will not win the state when you cannot shoot from the outside. This year EHS girls have a good record but they have won a lot of close games and you only get so many of them wins so they need to play better or they will be upset in the tournament.

CoachSH said football will come around??? No it will not look at the sidelines and some of the people who are there and look at their commentment to their jobs and you will get another 5-5 record in 2006.

EHS boys this year are just a below average team they have their moments but they have a lot of bad moments also.

Baseball has yet to play a game so who knows maybe they will be a decent team.

Why can't the baseball team practice at Joe O' Brien field? I think that is bad on the city or park and rec department because the high school should be able to use the field and the Twins do not come to town until 3 or 4 weeks after high school baseball is over. I hope the new baseball coach rips this topic in the paper because the only way you get anything done in this town is to bring it out in public because if you go and talk to the ones over the Twins or field you will get filled full of crap.

Another wonderful post by the all-knowing rvd! Every now and then say somethan positive. Could you try that?

And the boys team is not below average. If you knew any basketball and watched these kids, you would know they are better than average.