MS. BASKETBALL

raynoc

Kayla Hudson had an unbelievable game last night in the Greenfield game. Gleason won 45-42. Not only did she score 27 points but you can not rattle her. At times Greenfield would rush two or three girls at her and she would calmly hit the open girl for an easy layup. She was also perfect at the freethrow line and knows how to play defense.

She is the best point guard in west Tennessee of all classifications.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Greenfield fan"---are you sure you're a greenfield fan? I see alot of your posts and your constantly talking about Gleason. Hudson is very good BUT she has a lot of good players around her and the BEST coach in the state. Some girls are just as good or better, like Weathersly of Perry county. There are others, too. If Hudson does get ms. basketball it will be alot about her team mates too.

Oh yeah! back to your loyalties---greenfield is also doing pretty good I hear. Why aren't you busy praising them?

In 1A, I believe the winner will be one of the following (in no particular order):

1. Kayla Hudson, Gleason - In terms of guards in Tennessee, they just don't get much better then Hudson. A born leader with blindingly fast speed, she has superb court awareness on both the offensive and defensive end. Scoring comes naturally and she has great court vision which allows her to always find an open teammate.

2. Ashley Howard, Clarkrange - Though there are many stars on this team, Howard has been the most dominant, and consistent, of the bunch. Leads her team in scoring and rebounding. When the game is on the line for the Lady Buffaloes, Howard is the go-to player of choice.

3. Alecia Weatherly, Perry County - In my opinion, she is the best, and possibly most dominant, all around player in 1A. She can post up, drive the lane, shoot the 3, handle the ball under pressure, and dominate the boards. She is a monster inside on defense and no one is as mentally tough as this young lady.

Others who could get a Miss Basketball nomination and get into the race:

4. Kris Ross - Jackson County

5. Jordan Ramsey - Clarkrange

6. Megan Perry - Westmoreland

I'm sure there is somone from either Oliver Springs, Oneida, Cloudland, or Coalfield who is capable of maybe getting a nomination. However, I don't think there is anyone out that way that is a Lacondra Mason type player, who got a nomination last year while at Chattanooga Christian.

I've seen weatherly play since the 8th grade. She gets better and better everytime i see her play. Good luck to the Lady Vikings!

"Greenfield fan"---are you sure you're a greenfield fan? I see alot of your posts and your constantly talking about Gleason. Hudson is very good BUT she has a lot of good players around her and the BEST coach in the state. Some girls are just as good or better, like Weathersly of Perry county. There are others, too. If Hudson does get ms. basketball it will be alot about her team mates too.

Oh yeah! back to your loyalties---greenfield is also doing pretty good I hear. Why aren't you busy praising them?

I am a Greenfield fan first but I try to be fair to everybody and give them an honest evaluation of how I feel. Kayla Hudson is a very good basketball player and an even better person.

Now, here is how I feel about our basketball team. Greenfield is playing well and I think #2 team in Class A in West Tennessee. Union City has had some key injuries. South Fulton is improving. Madison is the cream of the crop in the lower region but its a pretty weak region. Greenfield has a real chance of making it to Murfreesboro if they can stay focused and take care of business.

This entire thread is sickening to me, as well it should be to everyone that actually knows women's high school basketball in Tennessee. It's absolutely rediculous how much the team u play for effects your chances of being known as one of Tennessee's best!!! If you play at a highly recruited powerhouse like Bradley Central or any where in the Roane co./Knoxville area (Cuz we all know how important women's b-ball is to this region) you are going to get all of the attention, but if your team is a recent success you don't get a fair shake. This is where i'm leading with all of this: Casha Foster is ,without a doubt, the most talented player in East Tennessee, and the Pickel argument stinks!! Foster and Jackie have gone head-to-head throughout their high school careers, and time after time Casha has proven to be a much better deffensive player than Jackie. However, many will argue that Foster isn't an offensive power like Pickel; this seems hard to justify seeing that Casha has amassed over 1,000 points in her 4 year career at CCHS. Lastly, the scholarships signed by each player may be an issue for those that haven't actually seen Foster play. This is my explaination for that: What schools get recruited?? the ones that haves major D-1 signees every year or the teams that sign maybe 2 every other year??? Carson Newman got the better player!!! Coach Insel at MTSU will regret not getting in on a player like Casha quickly as CN did. I'd take Casha over Pickel any day. So when talking Ms. Basketball let's get our hand out of the Pickel Jar and become a Foster Child!!!! :thumb:

radiojet you are absolutely right. It's all about the publicity you or your team gets. There are a lot of equally talented girls, but some girls and some teams seem to get all the hype. Consider ALL the girls indiviudally. That's a hard job but it would be a fair way to find Miss basketball. And as for the college they choose, thats their business and shouldn't matter if it's D1 or something smaller.

Theres a lot of excellent players in all divisions expecially AAA. You must have a hatred for Pickel or something. your girl has scored 1000 points and bradley's girl 2000 in career. You can't always say what they did against each other becauseI think Pikel outscored your girl every game last year and maybe this year too. you may have a better team but it is a individual award. Last year Holly took lady raiders to the state but she didn't average alot of points so she didn't get any recognition. casha is the same way. Thats just how it is. But you shouldn't go hating on anybody in your district from bradley cleveland or anywhere. you should be proud and supporting of them. It doesn't matter where you are going to college. Rogers is at Vandy and going great. Belmont had the winner last year. but I think Insel got a steel in Pickel whether u want to admit it or not. KeKe is the winner so it really doesn't matter who else is in it and if Cait hadn't got hurt we wouldnt be having this conversation anyhow. But u probably think your girl is as good as cait. haha...

Theres a lot of excellent players in all divisions expecially AAA. You must have a hatred for Pickel or something. your girl has scored 1000 points and bradley's girl 2000 in career. You can't always say what they did against each other becauseI think Pikel outscored your girl every game last year and maybe this year too. you may have a better team but it is a individual award. Last year Holly took lady raiders to the state but she didn't average alot of points so she didn't get any recognition. casha is the same way. Thats just how it is. But you shouldn't go hating on anybody in your district from bradley cleveland or anywhere. you should be proud and supporting of them. It doesn't matter where you are going to college. Rogers is at Vandy and going great. Belmont had the winner last year. but I think Insel got a steel in Pickel whether u want to admit it or not. KeKe is the winner so it really doesn't matter who else is in it and if Cait hadn't got hurt we wouldnt be having this conversation anyhow. But u probably think your girl is as good as cait. haha...

I apreciate you opinion Lady Raider, and believe it or not i'm in partial agreement with you. However, I don't feel im being a homer in this one. It wouldn't matter what team I was affiliated with I would think of Foster as being a front runner for the award. Im also being very consistent in that I felt the same way last year about Holly Rodgers. If you have the ability to carry your team on back all the way to the State tourney you deserve consideration. I like the Foster-Rodgers comparison, and I feel that Ive been very consistent in my opinions. Most of the time im an admitent homer, but not on this I just feel that night in and night out Foster is the most consistent ball player in AAA. Oh, and I wasn't about to even begin compariong anybody to Cait Macmahan so lets not falsely illustrate the opinions of others! K?? :thumb:

Edited by RadioJet06

Just as an update on the "winner" last year from Mt Juliet...as a Freshman for Belmont Alysha Clark is averaging a double-double, is number 9 scoring in the D1 nation at 20.7 per game and number 12 in rebounding (10.7!)

Just as an update on the "winner" last year from Mt Juliet...as a Freshman for Belmont Alysha Clark is averaging a double-double, is number 9 scoring in the D1 nation at 20.7 per game and number 12 in rebounding (10.7!)

Alysha from Mt. Juliet is certainly a great example of a Ms. Basketball winner having the ability to move from the high school level to the next level.

There are many players worthy of consideration for the Ms. Basketball nomination in East Tennessee this year. Keke Stewart of Oak Ridge is a candidate along with Casha Foster of Cumberland County. Jackie Pickel of Bradley Central is another one that is worthy of consideration along with Alyson Butler of Walker Valley.

One thing going against the selection of Casha Foster at CCHS is the tradition of the Lady Jets. They certainly have had some recent success (28-6 last year, finishing 2nd in the region but losing in the sub-state, 22-2 this year, rated 2nd in the AP rankings) but they haven't placed anyone in a college program at any significant level.

If you go by tradition and past recognition, then you certainly must think that Keke is a front runner for the award just because she plays for the Lady Wildcats at OR under one of the most successful girls coaches in Tennessee, Jill Pruden. There have been several Lady Cats before her to win this award, Erin McGinness in '96 and '97, Jennifer Wilson in '98 and '99. That's four consecutive years!

In 2001 Bradley Central's Brittany Jackson won the Ms. Basketlball award. She went on to a very successful career for Coach Pat Summit and the Lady Vols.

With Cait McMahan down for the season with a terrible knee injury, it looks like the selection from East Tennessee will come down to Stewart, Pickel and Butler. My guess here is that it will be between Stewart and Pickel, and you couldn't go wrong with either. The Lady Cats are 16-4, with three losses in a tough tourney in Naples, FL during the holiday season and an unexplainable meltdown to Karns. The Bearettes are 14-6 with a close loss to Stewart's Oak Ridge Lady Cats and a close win over Butler's Lady Mustangs. Foster's Lady Jets will win District 5-AAA but will once again fail to find the same success in the district tourney.

Stewart and Pickel have signed with Middle Tennessee and long-time Shelbyville coach, Rick Insell. Butler has signed with Alabama. Foster has signed with Carson-Newman. Congratulations to all of these long ladies and their free college education.

While there are other worthy candidates from the East Tennessee area, it appears from this keyboard that Pickel will take this award to add to her list of numerous honors. Pickel, Stewart and Butler in AAA, in that order. What a team you would have with those three together. Oh, by the way, Pickel and Stewart played together as juniors on the national championship 16-and under AAU team.

Good luck to each of these girls and others that may be nominated. Here's also hoping that Cait recovers from her injury and enjoys an extremely successful career at UT.

A hands down Hudson

AA-it's going to be close Thomas, Bellamy, and Bellamy (same as last yr.)

Winner: Thomas

AAA- (Mooney, Pickel, Stewart) I like all 3.

Winner: PIckel

aa anyone who has saw york's brandi brown play and the things she does on the bb court knows their is not a better player in the state.