WHY ARE THE REFS SO BAD THIS YEAR

jamieroper

Why is the refereeing so bad this year? There is no consistency at all. I mean some calls that a blind person could make they get wrong. I know that while sitting in the stands, I think I see every call correctly. But darn, can they be this bad by accident? COMMENTS AND SOLUTIONS!! Do not get me wrong, some are great and they know it. But some are Pitiful. I actually feel sorry for the good REFS that have to call games with the bad ones. :angry:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the refereeing so bad this year? There is no consistency at all. I mean some calls that a blind person could make they get wrong. I know that while sitting in the stands, I think I see every call correctly. But darn, can they be this bad by accident? COMMENTS AND SOLUTIONS!! Do not get me wrong, some are great and they know it. But some are Pitiful. I actually feel sorry for the good REFS that have to call games with the bad ones. :angry:

Go back to 2 man. there are not enough decent officials to cover all these high schools and middle schools. And one more thought, worry about the game instead of watching and waiting for the coaches to step out of the box or look at an official or watch them react to a bad call.

By the way, pay more. You just might get more knowledgeable people to get involved. Check our surrounding states and check the pay scale.

Edited by hewy22

Go back to 2 man. there are not enough decent officials to cover all these high schools and middle schools. And one more thought, worry about the game instead of watching and waiting for the coaches to step out of the box or look at an official or watch them react to a bad call.

By the way, pay more. You just might get more knowledgeable people to get involved. Check our surrounding states and check the pay scale.

Great points. I like the 3 man because in theory you get better coverage. But if going back to 2 man with higher pay is the answer, maybe we should look into it. :angry:

Edited by jamieroper

I hate to go to 2 man because the game is so quick, I just feel you need 3. I don't think higher pay is the answer, because sorry refs want the good pay just like the good ones. I think coaches must insist that games be reviewed by TSSAA oversight officials and should have input as to refs that cannot call games at that school any more. Enough complaints and a bad ref should be out of a job. (3 strikes, your out???)

I hate to go to 2 man because the game is so quick, I just feel you need 3. I don't think higher pay is the answer, because sorry refs want the good pay just like the good ones. I think coaches must insist that games be reviewed by TSSAA oversight officials and should have input as to refs that cannot call games at that school any more. Enough complaints and a bad ref should be out of a job. (3 strikes, your out???)

This is just my opinion.. but I think a ref should be evaluated at least once a season and then should be given a raise for merit. By merit, I mean, not showing preference, by calling by the book, and being mentally and physically up with the game.

I feel that alot of refs side with their "favorite team, and/or coach" . Or feel that the homecourt advantage is a thing that they must follow.

I think the kids on the court, need a fair shake! :angry:

If this was in place, I feel the refs would have to be aware, and on their toes to do a good job.

Edited by sheshootsathree

This is just my opinion.. but I think a ref should be evaluated at least once a season and then should be given a raise for merit. By merit, I mean, not showing preference, by calling by the book, and being mentally and physically up with the game.

I feel that alot of refs side with their "favorite team, and/or coach" . Or feel that the homecourt advantage is a thing that they must follow.

If this was in place, I feel the refs would have to be aware, and on their toes to do a good job.

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. I think you may have come up with the best solution yet. It does seem like some refs are determined to make calls for one team over another. I've seen it over and over. ;)

Great points by you and Girlpower. Something has to be done. I have actually seen refs this year affect the outcome of games. Usually complaining about the refs is what the losing team does to make excuses. This year it appears to be different. I know they have a hard job, however, they should want to improve as they get more experience but some just seem to not care. Coaches should have a direct line to the state or someone to report abuses. If say the coach from one school calls and complains, the board, or someone should call the opposing coach and the other refs. I bet the majority of the time the other refs and the other coach would give an accurate view of the calling. At least I hope they would. The good refs want to work with other good refs. And coaches, or at least good coaches, want to win because they played better, not because of the refs.

Dang refs!

A person of few words!

Great points by you and Girlpower. Something has to be done. I have actually seen refs this year affect the outcome of games. Usually complaining about the refs is what the losing team does to make excuses. This year it appears to be different. I know they have a hard job, however, they should want to improve as they get more experience but some just seem to not care. Coaches should have a direct line to the state or someone to report abuses. If say the coach from one school calls and complains, the board, or someone should call the opposing coach and the other refs. I bet the majority of the time the other refs and the other coach would give an accurate view of the calling. At least I hope they would. The good refs want to work with other good refs. And coaches, or at least good coaches, want to win because they played better, not because of the refs.

A person of few words!

Only compared to your novel!

I have heard that there are 3 or 4 new women refs in the middle tn. area. I was talking with a guy that works with me and his daughter plays for Jackson Co. and one of the new women refs had refereed the Monteray vs. Jackson Co. game. Even though he said they won both games pretty big, he said she did an outstanding job. He said he had heard that she could be one of the top officials in this area in the next couple of years.

Maybe more women need to get involved in officiating!! :thumb:

I have heard that there are 3 or 4 new women refs in the middle tn. area. I was talking with a guy that works with me and his daughter plays for Jackson Co. and one of the new women refs had refereed the Monteray vs. Jackson Co. game. Even though he said they won both games pretty big, he said she did an outstanding job. He said he had heard that she could be one of the top officials in this area in the next couple of years.

Maybe more women need to get involved in officiating!! :thumb:

It couldn't hurt. Maybe bring some calmness and consistency to the court. Plus, as a man, I wouldn't mind seeing some good looking females refs. Oh, Sorry, the male pig in me came out. Oh well, you are what you are. :lol: