Columbia at Harpeth next week

girlpower

What made Stewart so sorry? Is is lack of defense, shooting, hustle, speed, what?

Stewart just looked sorry against a far superior Harpeth team. They lack shooters mostly. They have a post (#42) that made some good moves, but they were forced into a lot of bad passes by Harpeth's defense.

Actually, IMHO, Harpeth's performance after Mandy scored her 1000th was lack-luster at best. Comments in my area of the bleachers were things like, "they look like they're in slow motion."

Had Harpeth performed the way they were prior to the 1000th point timeout, they could have easily put up 85 or more points.

I will be watching Tuesday's game with Columbia very closely. If Harpeth can handle the physical nature of Columbia's play, then I look for them to go far once tournaments begin.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think if Harpeth can't handle physical play of a AAA team that it necessarily means they won't do well in the tournament. They have a good team and should do well in the tournament irregardless of the outcome of Tuesday's game don't you think? It will be good for Harpeth to play Columbia but more from a fresh face that using the game as a measuring stick for how they'll do in the tournament. I do think there'll be a bit of a difference in the style of play each team is use to and that will shake things up a bit.

Limerock i hafta agree with u but i think that the game tuesday will be highly entertaiming i think the Harpeth girls will come out more focused than they have been in recent weeks they r all aware of the importance of this game and they all remember the lose from last year might i add that Salem Richardson Harpeth's leading scorer was out for last year's game that may have been very different if she was there but i can't wait until the game should be a good one

I don't think if Harpeth can't handle physical play of a AAA team that it necessarily means they won't do well in the tournament. They have a good team and should do well in the tournament irregardless of the outcome of Tuesday's game don't you think? It will be good for Harpeth to play Columbia but more from a fresh face that using the game as a measuring stick for how they'll do in the tournament. I do think there'll be a bit of a difference in the style of play each team is use to and that will shake things up a bit.

The fact that they're AAA isn't the concern. I have been told quite a few times that Columbia is a very physical team. Harpeth has not been challenged physically this year from what I've seen. Size-wise, Harpeth is a taller team than Columbia, on average, but beyond the starting post, they are very, very young. I think these young girls need to be exposed to the physical style of play that they will run into once they start seeing teams in the region and beyond.

I saw a Harpeth team last year that was just as talented and twice as physical as this year's team struggle once they got past regionals to a very physical team (Bolivar, I believe).

I've seen many roads to the tournament in my 37 years and the one thing I know for sure is that once tournaments start, the whistle blowers get pretty tight and let the teams play. You gotta be able to bang in the paint.

Do I think they will do well in the post season regardless of the outcome of this game? Yes, but I also think that handling the physical style of Columbia could be the difference between doing well in the post-season and going to Murfreesboro.

The fact that they're AAA isn't the concern. I have been told quite a few times that Columbia is a very physical team. Harpeth has not been challenged physically this year from what I've seen. Size-wise, Harpeth is a taller team than Columbia, on average, but beyond the starting post, they are very, very young. I think these young girls need to be exposed to the physical style of play that they will run into once they start seeing teams in the region and beyond.

I saw a Harpeth team last year that was just as talented and twice as physical as this year's team struggle once they got past regionals to a very physical team (Bolivar, I believe).

I've seen many roads to the tournament in my 37 years and the one thing I know for sure is that once tournaments start, the whistle blowers get pretty tight and let the teams play. You gotta be able to bang in the paint.

Do I think they will do well in the post season regardless of the outcome of this game? Yes, but I also think that handling the physical style of Columbia could be the difference between doing well in the post-season and going to Murfreesboro.

I don't know which games or team you were watching last year, but you cannot be physical with someone you cannot catch. Harpeth's first loss last year came to a DCA team that simply "ran" them in the ground. They lost to Bolivar because they played 4 games in 6 days against top teams. This year, they have played several teams including Sycamore who are much more "physical" (usually means slow) and have no trouble on either end of the floor. Tuesday night will prove that speed, athleticism, and shooting ability always win out in h. s. basketball.

I don't know which games or team you were watching last year, but you cannot be physical with someone you cannot catch. Harpeth's first loss last year came to a DCA team that simply "ran" them in the ground. They lost to Bolivar because they played 4 games in 6 days against top teams. This year, they have played several teams including Sycamore who are much more "physical" (usually means slow) and have no trouble on either end of the floor. Tuesday night will prove that speed, athleticism, and shooting ability always win out in h. s. basketball.

UMMMM last year we were fast and physical if you think different then you were watching a different team. And Bolivar was just a little more physical than us, they pounded us down low with that big post. She would throw something up and it would go in. Usually during tournament time you play top teams in a weeks span so their goes that theory. Anyways the only team that we played that gave us a challenge that week was Cheatham and we beat them. Oh and I forgot about Loretto them to. And if speed, athleticism, and shooting ability always win out in h.s basketball then why are their upsets. :thumb: Anyways if those always win games dont drive all the way down here to watch, because we dominate in those categories ask those 22 teams under our belt.

UMMMM last year we were fast and physical if you think different then you were watching a different team. And Bolivar was just a little more physical than us, they pounded us down low with that big post. She would throw something up and it would go in. Usually during tournament time you play top teams in a weeks span so their goes that theory. Anyways the only team that we played that gave us a challenge that week was Cheatham and we beat them. Oh and I forgot about Loretto them to. And if speed, athleticism, and shooting ability always win out in h.s basketball then why are their upsets. :thumb: Anyways if those always win games dont drive all the way down here to watch, because we dominate in those categories ask those 22 teams under our belt.

"Anyways", I am a Harpeth fan. I did see the games last year and this year. This year's difference at the guard position is the result of an additional year of maturity and a summer's hard work for 3 players that were good last year. We have less turnovers at the point guard position and evenly distributed scoring. At the post, we are giving up about 100 pounds. We gained tons of speed, jumping ability, scoring ability, no foul trouble, and endurance. Mitchell can't push and shove as well as Finch; on the other hand, other teams' post players don't seem to be able to keep up with her for more than a quarter. There's one other thing...for whatever reason, this team has a better record and in my opinion will go further in the tournament.

By the way, if you'll go back and check, the big girl that Holly F. guarded against Bolivar did not hurt us. Their strong forward scored at will in the paint near the free throw line. She was not Holly's responsibility. "Anyways", last year is over.

"Anyways", I am a Harpeth fan. I did see the games last year and this year. This year's difference at the guard position is the result of an additional year of maturity and a summer's hard work for 3 players that were good last year. We have less turnovers at the point guard position and evenly distributed scoring. At the post, we are giving up about 100 pounds. We gained tons of speed, jumping ability, scoring ability, no foul trouble, and endurance. Mitchell can't push and shove as well as Finch; on the other hand, other teams' post players don't seem to be able to keep up with her for more than a quarter. There's one other thing...for whatever reason, this team has a better record and in my opinion will go further in the tournament.

By the way, if you'll go back and check, the big girl that Holly F. guarded against Bolivar did not hurt us. Their strong forward scored at will in the paint near the free throw line. She was not Holly's responsibility. "Anyways", last year is over.

I dont see the post giving up about 100 pounds, I mean she is skinny but we havent gone up against any 250 girls that I have seen. We didnt really gain tons of speed, or jumping ability, we actually lost our highest jumper(lindsey reynolds), or scoring ability seeing how we lost our leading scorer Ellis, and our biggest post production in Finch, we did gain some endurance. You are right about one thing Mitchell cant push and shove as well as finch, but she also has more than that drop step every time. The reason these girls will go farther than last time is they are deeper on the bench with Flippo, Felker, Whitney Mitchell, and Junkins for that three ball. Oh and I am pretty sure bolivars big girl scored at least 10 points against us, and saying that their strong forward scored at will in the paint doesnt help your case seeing how finch lived their. :thumb:

Nice post.....lots of valid points. If Columbia is at full strength I would expect them to win by 4-6 points. Should be a great game, a fun one to watch....

Edited by heavyd

Where's the HARPTHBOOSTER? Did the HARPETHBOOSTER die? Could the HARPETHBOOSTER be hiding under another name?

Been watching that group in 8AAA since visiting for playday before season. Heard every team would be good challenge for AA squad. Also heard you can get hurt playing in the paint with that bunch down there in lower middle tn. Physical inside with all teams.Big girls from Shelbyville and Columbia, Big girl in Lincoln Co. (Hill)Scrappy girls in Franklin Co. (Gulley and Southern) seen names in paper a lot.

Better not forget one of the best Senior guards in state at Columbia (Ross)

Better quit wishing for Tuesday to get here. Good to see you positive about team though.