BA vs. Ryan (1/26)

PinU46

Ryan won -- I had the final score 50 to 14. Don't know the Ryan guys but BA winners were:

Cash @ 119 Tech over John Mark Sloan

Wilson @ 135 Decision

Brooks @ 160 Pin

A lot of close matches in the lower/mid weight classes. BA was hurt by injuries (didn't have our starters for 130, 171 or 275), but Ryan in tough.

Ryan won -- I had the final score 50 to 14. Don't know the Ryan guys but BA winners were:

Cash @ 119 Tech over John Mark Sloan

Wilson @ 135 Decision

Brooks @ 160 Pin

A lot of close matches in the lower/mid weight classes. BA was hurt by injuries (didn't have our starters for 130, 171 or 275), but Ryan in tough.

is cash wrestling 119 or 112?

This morning's Tennessean posted the following match information.

51-14 Ryan over BA

103 Rosa (FR) pin Brannon (BA) 1:09

112 Griffith (FR) dec Gibbs (BA) 8-6

119 Cash (BA) t.f. Sloan 23-8

125 Marchetti (FR) pin Boswell 3:20

130 Austelle (FR) m.d. Ball (BA) 13-1

135 Wilson (BA) dec Denito 8-7

140 Lawrence (FR) dec Lundborg (BA) 5-1

145 Miller (FR) t.f. Proctor (BA) 22-7

152 Goodrum (FR) dec Beki (BA) 6-4

160 Brooks (BA) pin Hegarty 4:45

171 Rowlan (FR) pinMoore (BA) 1:10

189 Riley (FR) dec Simpkins (BA) 5-3

215 Dempsey (FR) pin Tuani 3:13

275 Lawrence (FR) pin Bullard (BA) 1:29

PinU46, BA almost made it a match worth seeing heck they won a whole three matches. BA could have came in super pumped up and they still would have lost to Father Ryan's JV. BA has yet to prve why they deserve respect of the Divison II middle region. Until they get a big win their wrestlers will still be known as football players who wresltle

PinU46, BA almost made it a match worth seeing heck they won a whole three matches. BA could have came in super pumped up and they still would have lost to Father Ryan's JV. BA has yet to prve why they deserve respect of the Divison II middle region. Until they get a big win their wrestlers will still be known as football players who wresltle

From someone who was there (and is relatively unbiased -- you clearly either weren't or aren't . . .), it was a match worth seeing. The 112, 119, 135, 140, 152, 160 and 189 matches were all hard fought and could have gone either way. While BA has a long way to go, I suspect that the wrestlers on Father Ryan's team respect the BA guys.

The comment about Ryan's JV winning shows a clear ignorance . . . I'll assume you are "blinded" by "school spirit" . . .

From someone who was there (and is relatively unbiased -- you clearly either weren't or aren't . . .), it was a match worth seeing. The 112, 119, 135, 140, 152, 160 and 189 matches were all hard fought and could have gone either way. While BA has a long way to go, I suspect that the wrestlers on Father Ryan's team respect the BA guys.

The comment about Ryan's JV winning shows a clear ignorance . . . I'll assume you are "blinded" by "school spirit" . . .

From someone who was there -

BA is making strides with the new coach and is tremendously better than last year. But they aren't up to this level of competition yet. They have some great all round athletes, but not necessarily wrestlers. Ryan has much more depth and breadth and their committment to wrestling shows. If BA can get a feeder program in place to get kids started younger, and will decide that wrestling is something they want to take as seriously as football, then they have a chance.

From someone who was there -

BA is making strides with the new coach and is tremendously better than last year. But they aren't up to this level of competition yet. They have some great all round athletes, but not necessarily wrestlers. Ryan has much more depth and breadth and their committment to wrestling shows. If BA can get a feeder program in place to get kids started younger, and will decide that wrestling is something they want to take as seriously as football, then they have a chance.

The final score indicates that BA is not up to Ryans level yet -- no argument there, however In Hoc's suggestion that they don't deserve the respect of DII Middle Region is way off base. Coach Cash is in his first year and, as you mention, has already made huge strides. He is starting a full year program (which to my knowledge BA hasn't had) and is involved with the Middle Schoolers as well. This team is young (1 Senior this year) and will only get better. Watch them when this Freshman class become seniors . . .

I agree with your assessment. However, keep in mind 6 freshmen and a few sophomores wrestled last night (1 senior). Things could not have gone worse with injuries and over weight situations. By no means am I saying that we could have won against Ryan (Ryan was better with any configuration). However, with the injuries and weight misses, even some people who normally start were wrestling up in many cases to compensate. My only point is that we are a little better than what we showed last night. It was our third dual loss of the season. (Franklin and MBA were the others). It is tough to beat quality programs like Ryan, MBA and Franklin with freshmen (unless they are all Justin Cash), but it gives us hope for the future.

If what I hear is correct, Ryan started 1 Senior, 3 or 4 Juniors, and all the rest were Sophomores or Freshmen. They also appear to have suffered injuries (Bateman, Mix, and others werent in the lineup). So the Ryan team was just as young and hurt.

Bottom line is there was no where close to 6 freshmen for Ryan. An injury will hurt a smaller program like BA much more than Ryan. The best illustration of my point is that we put a a much better fight against a substantially stronger squad like MBA on a different night.

I did a little research and found out these facts about Father Ryan:

103 Rosa (Soph)

112 Griffith (Soph)

119 Sloan (JR) *JV or varsity depending on what Marchetti does

125 Marchetti (FR)

130 Austelle (FR) *JV is wrestling due to starter injury

135 Benito (Soph) *JV wrestling due to starter injury

140 Lawrence (Soph)

145 Miller (Soph)

152 Goodrum (Soph)

160 Hegarty (JR) * JV Wrestler

171 Rowan (JR) * JV wrestler

189 Riley (Senior)

215 Dempsey (JR)

275 Lawrence (JR) ** has bounced between JV and varsity due to challange match results with Garrett

2 freshmen

6 sophmores

5 juniors

1 senior