District 6-AAA

GradfromtheNest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My predictions (for what it's worth):

1. Ooltewah: head and shoulders above anyone in the area this year. This desperately needs to be the year they advance to the State. Way too much talent for way too long to have not been better in the post season.

2. TIE Red Bank: should have a tremedously deep pitching staff and an absolute horse behind the plate. This can be deceiving though, they should have a great record, but in district games and the district tournament you don't really need a deep staff, you need 2 or 3 studs. Questions involve defense and timely hitting.

Soddy Daisy: another team with a stud at catcher, Dobbs. The return of Derek Rende should be a tremendous help to them also. The Trojans can never be counted out with Garland coaching and the large talent pool they have. They have to find some quality pitching besides McIntyre.

4. Central: new coach, new school, hopefully new attitude (or at least a little less attitude).

Edited by catsbackr

Some good points, backr!

My prediction on this district finish is:

1. Ooltewah

2. Soddy Daisy

3. Red Bank

4. Central

Ooltewah should win this district. I know I'm so biased it's not even funny - BUT - this may be the deepest pitching staff (although young) an Owls team has ever had - and I don't see a stronger lineup....2, 3, 4, 5, 6.....Hydas, Burke, McDade, Woods, Howard, Markum....but, as we've seen in past years, all this talent doesn't automatically get a team to the end of May.

Soddy/Red Bank is close....I think Red Bank gets the edge on the mound, but Soddy always hits. Catsbackr makes a good point, Red Bank will need timely hitting. They've got good pitching, but they've got to be able to score some runs. For Soddy, anytime the Mac-Daddy is pitching they've got a great chance to win. And they should hit behind him. Obviously with Henry throwing, Red Bank's got a great chance to win...but if both of these guys pitch the same game, it's going to come down to hitting.

I really hope Central can have a good year. There's nothing better than a competitive district all the way through!

But anyways, it's still early. In 3 or 4 weeks, I might change my mind!

Owls sure has the pitching and pitching is key to winning.

The Owls have a great senior 1-2 punch, but will rely heavily on some underclassmen! Seniors John Howard and Kyler Burke will anchor the staff. Howard's a hard throwing righty, but also has great off speed and breaking stuff. Burke throws low 90's from the left side, but may start the season high 80's. Either way I like Ooltewah's chances when these guys have the ball.

Junior Jeremy Woods will be key on the mound, as well as Junior Ryan Coburn. Sophomores Daniel Geren, Conner Peppin, and Zach Smith could also be key players on the mound. Don't forget seniors Blake McDade and Zach Woods as well. They might not be in the everyday rotation, but can be called upon and be effective when needed.

The good thing about this team is they won't have to hold their opponents to 1 or 2 runs. With their offense, as long as the pitching staff can hold the opposing team to 5 or 6 runs, they should be fine.

Ok, enough from me! Good luck to everyone in the region!

Ah, well the time has come for baseball in Chattanooga to get heated up again. As stated the past two seasons, the Owls are coming back strong and potentially have the best team in the district. Vandy signee Kyler Burke could easily be considered the best hurler in the city. Hydas, McDade, Markum and Howard will also put up strong seasons similar to years past. Looking for an impressive season out of Red Bank. UK signee Tyler Henry leads their staff, Geren behind the plate, and underclassmen who've played varsity the past two years are now the core of this team. Soddy Daisy will always be in the hunt with the likes of Coach Garland. Middle infield of Alexander and Boron is still in tact. Central, well, I'm not too sure how to describe Central but I wish them the best of luck this season... couldn't assume that with Brainerd out of the district, Central would go O fer....

Red Bank, Soddy Daisy, And Ooltewah are all talented. Central I know Very little about. Red Bank, Soddy Daisy, and Ooltewah are all capable of beating either one of the other teams on any given day. It will come down to who plays the best that day. All teams have some talented people to carry their teams. Does anyone know anything about Central?

• 2 weeks later...

Central has almost every position player back. I know they were real young last year. I believe they had some freshmen and sophomores starting on varsity.

They lost their catcher, and I believe they lost some pitching.

They could definitely be in the mix though.

From what I know, I would say Ooltewah should be the favorite followed closely by Soddy Daisy, Red Bank, and Central.